Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-04-2011, 05:25 PM   #436
jswinden
Nameless Being

My Marware cover just arrived. I attached a few photos. It is a bit bigger than I would like due to it being made to fit the Touch models too. But It is still smaller than the Lighted Amazon cover for the K3, which is shown for comparison in my photos. However, it weighs a lot less than the K3 cover. The construction is pretty good and I think it will last a long time. Most importantly it is great at making my K4 a one-handed reader.

I'm sure the Amazon covers will be better, but I didn't want to wait 6 to 8 weeks for one. I also think other manufacturers will release covers in the near future as Kindles are always popular so they always make covers for the new models, unlike the Sony x50 series of readers for which 3rd party manufacturers chose not to make covers.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	marware-01.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	268.9 KB
ID:	77355   Click image for larger version

Name:	marware-02.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	337.7 KB
ID:	77356   Click image for larger version

Name:	marware-03.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	77357   Click image for larger version

Name:	marware-04.jpg
Views:	407
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	77358   Click image for larger version

Name:	marware-05.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	352.9 KB
ID:	77359  

Last edited by jswinden; 10-04-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:29 PM   #437
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
My Marware cover just arrived. I attached a few photos. It is a bit bigger than I would like due to it being made to fit the Touch models too. But It is still smaller than the Lighted Amazon cover for the K3, which is shown for comparison in my photos. However, it weighs a lot less than the K3 cover. The construction is pretty good and I think it will last a long time. Most importantly it is great at making my K4 a one-handed reader.
Nice! I got a sleeve for mine that fits the Kobo Touch. I might get a MEDGE cover when they go on sale someday.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:01 PM   #438
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I don't have my K4 yet. I'm trying to find my K4 it's either with my mail lady or in my mailbox but wont know till early morning. I will upgrade when I get it and see if that helps it.
Hehe, I got confused when quoting and thought you were the person complaining about the screen but it was someone else! I corrected my original post!
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:07 PM   #439
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
Hehe, I got confused when quoting and thought you were the person complaining about the screen but it was someone else! I corrected my original post!
S'ok after the influx of posts we had since the K4 it hard to keep anything straight!

8 hours till I can check my mailbox. I am going nuts here.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:17 PM   #440
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
I hope that your new Kindle is resting comfortably in your mailbox, Blossom.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 06:28 PM   #441
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWriter View Post
I hope that your new Kindle is resting comfortably in your mailbox, Blossom.
Thank you! I am trying to keep distracted. I did a load of dishes so far. Oh I know! I'll go read up on the new Fictionwise books I missed out on and add more to my wishlist. That should keep me busy a few hours.
Old 10-04-2011, 06:36 PM   #442
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post

I'm sure the Amazon covers will be better, but I didn't want to wait 6 to 8 weeks for one. I also think other manufacturers will release covers in the near future as Kindles are always popular so they always make covers for the new models, unlike the Sony x50 series of readers for which 3rd party manufacturers chose not to make covers.

Thanks for sharing the pictures. Can't say I really like that cover. It is too big for the device and I hate the corner straps.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 01:47 AM   #443
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

I got my K4 in my hand! It was in mailbox! *phew*

My first impression. Very tiny compare to a K3, Not as light as I was expecting. My Pocket Pro defiantly is lighter but it is light enough and very lighter then my K3.

The Screen is disappointing. It's has grey cast to it and the text is definitely not black as my K3 it's a very dark grey. I put it next to my K3 and realize that my K3 background looks white compared to the K4. It's possible the glass used is the problem here I don't know... it is not the same kind as the one used on the K3.

I will not be getting rid of my K3 as I agree on the quality is defiantly not the same on the two.

I know people say the glare is less on the K4 but I find it more. I do wear glasses though keep that in mine.

However those upgrading from a Vizplex screen this will be a improvement but no where near the K3 screen quality. So those giving up their K3 might want to wait and make their own judgement. I am super picky on blackness of text not so much on background but I hope to adjust to it.

I do still see this getting lots of use for $79 it still a great deal! And it fits my 3Feet stand perfectly!

I however will be cancelling my Touch order and getting a T1. I need really black text like my K3 and so I am a tad disappointed but I'll deal.

I use these settings when reading. The 4 largest Font Size and The Condensed font. I will post pics if anyone wants to see them.

Edit: I got it upgraded but how do I change the refresh settings? I was able to set my main kindle address now. To bad they can't have separate email addresses. I also notice a setting in MYK if I paid $30 I can later remove the ads if I want to but it so tiny I don't think I will but it's good to have that option. I cancelled the Touch.

Last edited by Blossom; 10-07-2011 at 12:31 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:40 AM   #444
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
My first impression. Very tiny compare to a K3, Not as light as I was expecting. My Pocket Pro defiantly is lighter but it is light enough and very lighter then my K3.
Do you plan on using it for light reading and your K3 for heavier reading?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:51 AM   #445
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
I however will be cancelling my Touch order and getting a T1. I need really black text like my K3 and so I am a tad disappointed but I'll deal.
Do we know if the Kindle Touch's screen quality is the same as the K4? It may be the same as the K3.

Or is the weight the reason you cancelled the order?
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:08 AM   #446
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Do you plan on using it for light reading and your K3 for heavier reading?
Too funny. I'll use the K3 for sitting here at the desk reading as I have a great stand for it. The K4 will be my laying on the sofa being lazy when I should be cleaning reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Do we know if the Kindle Touch's screen quality is the same as the K4? It may be the same as the K3.

Or is the weight the reason you cancelled the order?
It's more a wait and see issue. I will wait to see if the screen is the same as the k3 if so I'll get the Touch and give this one away if it hasn't grown on me. I just don't want to wind up with two eReaders that aren't as good as my K3 screen.

I know the T1 screen is fantastic so it's less of a risk for me to get one now and it's light like the K4. I tried to take pics but they don't really show much difference as it really is.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:03 AM   #447
impry
Enthusiast
impry began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4 (2011)
Ok, I think i've found out why can people see the difference between the K3 and K4 display.
As you can read on Tom's Hardware site, the K4 screen seems "lower quality". At first I have to say, I have my K4 now, and I can make side by side comparison with my brothers K3: there is no difference. They are the same. (Maybe pearl screens may vary individually, no matter wich device you have) But, as we can see there is a modified screen refresh/page turning method. I can see that: as more as I turn a page, text becomes as more "poorer" or somewhat gives less contrast, seems not as detailed. And that's why it needs a full refresh after turning 6 pages. With the latest update, you can turn the page refresh type on/off.
impry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 05:05 AM   #448
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Okay now I've played with it a bit I can say a bit more.

I love the how light and tiny it is! I could hold this with no problems. I love the replacement of the 5-way button. The middle is perfect for two hands to navigate each side.

I do not like the new refresh so I went back to the old way. Black flash is better for me. The new way makes my eyes goes weird but I am the kind of person who got sick when she set her Sims 3 game to 30fps. I can't even play sonic games so keep that in mind. The black flash does not have the same effect on me.

The more I stare at it, the darker the text looks. So it takes some getting use to so unless I have my K3 in front of me which is perfect in display I notice it less on the K4.

My K3 background is a very light tan almost white and my K4 background is a grey and my Pocket Pro background is a light grey. The Pocket Pro has a lighter background and is a Vizplex.

The text on my K3 is black as black can get. The text on the K4 is near black when in bold or a very dark grey in non bold. The text on my Pocket pro is light to medium grey.

Now I know I can use a heavy font or blacker font and that will help. When I switch to the sans font on the K4 it looks almost black but the default font does not. The text is a very dark grey on a greyish background.

The keyboard is something you will have to experience for yourself. The biggest downside is no delete button you have to use the the delete key on the keyboard to go back a letter. This is one thing I find annoying. The Keyboard isn't so bad but when you are use to a QWERTY style it will take some brain retraining to find the letters faster.

The navigation that felt clunky on the K3. The K4 does not have this feel to it. It's seems to be faster to me. I think this is due to the 5-way being in the middle not to mention faster processor.

If you one to type notes alot you want to wait for the Touch or stay with your K3.

The browser is faster and seems to load faster with my connection. I had it freeze already on Dropbox and had to a restart. It does this to me on my K3 but other then that it's pretty much the same as the K3 but a bit faster.

Oh I forgot one! I love the back button is finally out the way! I can't tell you how happy that makes me! That is probably the best improvement on here.

Last edited by Blossom; 10-05-2011 at 05:08 AM.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:38 AM   #449
Laura81
Addict
Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laura81 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 5
Hmmm... maybe I should consider getting the K3 keyboard instead of the K4 non touch, even though I don't really want a keyboard. Decisions, decisions. I'd probably look at a Sony but pretty sure they don't sell them internationally.
Laura81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:14 AM   #450
Noughty
Addict
Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.Noughty is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kindle NT
I wanted to ask about screen refresh. I think it might be annoying to have it flash black every page, to flash every 6 pages is also annoying but also gets you worse quality.

Do all eink devices refresh like that?
Noughty is offline   Reply With Quote