Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 01-12-2011, 06:59 PM   #256
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3(3g), NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by osnova View Post
It's such a huge topic that I am not sure that we will be able to cover it to your satisfaction. In short, KJV is an old traditional Protestant translation with thee, thou, etc. (I will not start the textual debate here because it is quite divisive); Douay-Rheims is similar to KJV in language but it is a Catholic translation (was translated from Latin Vulgate); ASV is a 1901 revision of KJV, NET Bible is a modern translation with 60,000 notes that explain translation decisions. There are other public domain translations that are available from osnova.com.

Non-OSNOVA publication would include: New King James (exactly what the name suggests, a modernized KJV), NASB, which is based on ASV (it has two versions, one closer to the original Hebrew, Greek to the point that its English is sometimes described as wooden, the newer has more flowing English). The most popular modern translation is NIV (a new version of NIV has just become available for the Kindle). ESV is also popular with protestants. There is NAB for Catholics (but I don't think it is available for the Kindle yet).
Thanks! Ok, so what is World Bible? And do you have NIV?
ETA- Ok NM, looks like you can't do NIV because of copyright issues, is the NET like the NIV at all?

Last edited by Belle2Be; 01-12-2011 at 07:02 PM.
Belle2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:11 PM   #257
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry, one more thing, on the Amazon, it says the NET bible can be downloaded free ("available online for free at www.netbible.com, with 60,932 footnotes that help explain the translation.")
but when I went to that website, it was only free for a nook or sony but not a Kindle?
Old 01-12-2011, 07:29 PM   #258
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
Ok. WEB Bible is an "open source"-type project where people updated the language of ASV and released the result into the public domain. So, it uses the modern language but it is based on ASV.

NIV's copyright is owned by Zondervan; they have ignored my requests for permission to publish NIV with navigation aids that are part of OSNOVA publications.

Regarding the NET Bible, you should ask someone on that website. They are the copyright holder/publisher and distributor of the NET Bible. I only helped them convert the NET Bible to the Kindle format.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:51 PM   #259
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle2Be View Post
Sorry, one more thing, on the Amazon, it says the NET bible can be downloaded free ("available online for free at www.netbible.com, with 60,932 footnotes that help explain the translation.")
but when I went to that website, it was only free for a nook or sony but not a Kindle?
May I direct you to the calibre forums? Calibre is an e-book manager developed by one of our own MobileRead members, kovidgoyal. With calibre installed on your PC, you can easily convert non-DRMed books formatted for the Nook and Sony to a format that Kindle will recognize. It's simple to install, simple to use, and best of all, the download is free (although he does accept donations). There are other free programs out there that also do a fine job of format conversion as well.

As to whether the free NET download contains DRM, however, I have no clue.

Last edited by WT Sharpe; 01-12-2011 at 07:57 PM.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 07:57 PM   #260
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
May I direct you to the calibre forums? Calibre is an e-book manager developed by one of our own MobileRead members, kovidgoyal. With calibre installed on your PC, you can easily convert non-DRMed books formatted for the Nook and Sony to a format that Kindle will recognize. It's simple to install, simple to use, and best of all, the download is free (although he does accept donations). There are other free programs out there that also do a fine job of format conversion as well.

Of course, if you get the free WEB download, you'll miss out of OSNova's wonderful DVJ text navigation.
Oh ok, where do I find the one with the navigation? The Amazon one for $5?
(Thanks so much BTW!)

Thanks OSNova for clarifying!!
Old 01-12-2011, 08:12 PM   #261
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle2Be View Post
Oh ok, where do I find the one with the navigation? The Amazon one for $5?
(Thanks so much BTW!)

Thanks OSNova for clarifying!!
You quoted me before I edited that last line out. I was thinking of the WEB when posted that last line, not the NET. You'll have to ask OSNova if he's done a DVJ version of the NET Bible. Sorry for the confusion.
Old 01-12-2011, 08:24 PM   #262
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books

Quote:
You quoted me before I edited that last line out. I was thinking of the WEB when posted that last line, not the NET. You'll have to ask OSNova if he's done a DVJ version of the NET Bible. Sorry for the confusion.
No prob, I downloaded and converted the NET epub to a mobi, but if it doesn't include the DVJ then it's not what I want I wish the NIV had it!
Old 01-12-2011, 08:40 PM   #263
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This NET Bible has DVJ for sure: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002V1I4I6/
Old 01-12-2011, 08:43 PM   #264
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Way to go, OSNova! I just bought a copy. It appears to be a great translation.
Old 01-12-2011, 09:10 PM   #265
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books

Quote:
But does the free one on Netbible.com have it?
Old 01-12-2011, 10:31 PM   #266
osnova
Kindler of the Flame

I don't know but I suspect it doesn't.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:32 PM   #267
osnova
Kindler of the Flame

Quote:
Way to go, OSNova! I just bought a copy. It appears to be a great translation.
Thanks!
Old 01-12-2011, 10:36 PM   #268
kmo_9000
kmo_9000 began at the beginning.

Device: not sure yet
Quote:
Finally, after a month of reviewing the submission, Amazon has published my edition of the Douay-Rheims Catholic Bible with Direct Verse Jump. If you are not familiar with Catholic Bibles, they include Deuterocanonical (Apocryphal in the Protestant parlance) books and portions of books (Daniel, Esther, etc.), the chapter and verse numbering differs significantly in many places from the KJV versification. Note that this edition does not include the notes.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0033PSG1Y

I have taken time to correct typos and OCR errors of sources that flow around the Internet. So, this edition should be the truest to the paper edition of late 1800s.
Thanks for the link, but people should not have to pay for The Bible, you can get the same bible in pdf simply by searching google for "Catholic ebooks."
kmo_9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:38 PM   #269
osnova
Kindler of the Flame

There are a number of free versions of every public domain Bible translation, including Douay-Rheims. There are pdfs, epubs, mobi, etc.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:56 PM   #270
waller4343
Enthusiast
waller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverwaller4343 exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle DX, K3, iPad
And with the free bibles you get poor formatting, possibly a TOC the will take you to the book or you can search for a unique phrase to navigate the bible. With the Osnova products you can go right to any verse in any of the books, compare several several versions of the bible for context, go to Henry's Commentaries and use his Bible Encyclopedia as a default dictionary. I haven't really figured out the Study Bible yet, been busy. But all this is possible because of his extra effort and his DVJ navigation and is well worth the $5.00 he asks for his stuff. You can get Gideon's for free as well. But you get what you pay for. It is well worth the little bit he is asking for his efforts.

Thank you Osnova for the fine collection you provide.
waller4343 is offline   Reply With Quote