Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-07-2013, 01:24 AM   #76
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
* rant start*

If I didn't love Dreamweaver and Fireworks the way I do, I'd call this a reason to abandon them. Ever since they moved their software downloads to Adobe figgin Air, we've had nothing but problems in my company, with our locked down systems and network access.
I don't think we'll ever be able to upgrade to cloud services, and maybe now is a good time to start looking for alternatives.

Ridiculous how much money we've spent on their products over the years, only to find out that they've known their security systems were breached last month and they just never advised anyone about this.

*rant end*
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:42 AM   #77
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddly bodkins View Post
This is so disheartening. I just got new debit cards because our bank was hacked. I had my CC info stolen and used a couple of years ago, Our PlayStation account was compromised and now this. I did notice that Adobe is asking for your birthday if you want to use their cloud services. Great, another piece of my personal info hackers will get if Adobe is compromised again. Honestly how can ANY of these services be sure it is me if hackers are piecing together profiles from all these hacks? I don't even know how many potential versions of myself are floating around out there in the aether.
Yeah, this whole questions that only you know the answer to thing is really really stupid.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2013, 10:58 AM   #78
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Another joy of this is to change you B&N password you have to completely reset your nook back to factory.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:44 PM   #79
wawasteele
Addict
wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wawasteele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 1st PW, Sansa Clip Zip, Samsungs: GT 7.0 Plus, Note4, GT 4 10.1"
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddly bodkins View Post
Our PlayStation account was compromised and now this. I did notice that Adobe is asking for your birthday if you want to use their cloud services. Great, another piece of my personal info hackers will get if Adobe is compromised again. Honestly how can ANY of these services be sure it is me if hackers are piecing together profiles from all these hacks? I don't even know how many potential versions of myself are floating around out there in the aether.
I never give out my real birthday, unless there is truly no other option. It's just another way I try to protect myself online. Unfortunately, it also means keeping track of all kinds of info for every site I have to register with in case I ever have tell them again what my birth date is or where I was born or anything, since none of it's true and it changes with different sites.
wawasteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 06:35 PM   #80
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Sony also just sent me an email to change my password due to Adobe.
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2013, 07:03 PM   #81
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
Sony also just sent me an email to change my password due to Adobe.
I got the email too. I changed my password there yesterday and now they've reset it so I have to do it again. What a PITA.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #82
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I got the email too. I changed my password there yesterday and now they've reset it so I have to do it again. What a PITA.
You said it!

I don't get why I have to change my password from Sony. Maybe somebody who uses their reader can explain? I only buy books from them and that very rare when I do.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:29 PM   #83
library addict
Grand Sorcerer
library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.library addict ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2, Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8" (retired=Sony PRS650, Kobo Mini)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
You said it!

I don't get why I have to change my password from Sony. Maybe somebody who uses their reader can explain? I only buy books from them and that very rare when I do.
I think it's just an overabundance of caution on their part since my Sony password was never the same as my ADE password. I know Sony uses ADE to unlock DRM. So maybe because the accounts may have been associated with one another...
library addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:43 PM   #84
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
I'm convinced that some day we'll need to go to biometrics. I'm not sure how it'll be implemented over the Internet but I don't see any other solution. There are plenty of problems with it but passwords & security questions certainly aren't working.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:56 PM   #85
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
I'm convinced that some day we'll need to go to biometrics. I'm not sure how it'll be implemented over the Internet but I don't see any other solution. There are plenty of problems with it but passwords & security questions certainly aren't working.
Over the Internet, or in any situation when you don't have complete physical assurance of the whole, even a biometric solution merely generates a long, hard to guess password, so while having your fingerprint, or palm vein pattern, or iris pattern always with you is more convenient and harder to steal than carrying, say, an RSA fob, it's not much more secure on the server side.

On the client side, security is always a trade-off against convenience and the trick is to find a balance that users accept.

I predict that where security really matters to folks (financial data, etc) we will soon be forced to use 2- or 3-factor authentication in all cases.* One of those factors may indeed be biometric.

ApK

*The three factors would be "something you know, something you have and something you are." Say, having a smart card, knowing a pin, and scanning your fingerprint. Or having your cell phone, knowing your passphrase and reading your voice print.

Last edited by ApK; 10-07-2013 at 07:58 PM.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #86
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawasteele View Post
I never give out my real birthday, unless there is truly no other option. It's just another way I try to protect myself online. Unfortunately, it also means keeping track of all kinds of info for every site I have to register with in case I ever have tell them again what my birth date is or where I was born or anything, since none of it's true and it changes with different sites.
Ditto, and sometimes I don't remember what my name, bday and country of residence is
I also hate security questions, because I forget what my favorite restaurant/food/pet was at the time I set the account up.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #87
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by library addict View Post
I think it's just an overabundance of caution on their part since my Sony password was never the same as my ADE password. I know Sony uses ADE to unlock DRM. So maybe because the accounts may have been associated with one another...
That's correct. When installing the newer versions of Sony software they gave you the option to auto-create an Adobe account at the same time with the same user id and password for both Sony & Adobe accounts. The intent was to simplify the process that you would only need one account & software program to authorize your ereader, shop, download books and transfer them. You didn't need to really understand about Adobe Digital Edition software and DRM.

Sony would have no way of knowing who used this method and who kept separate unique accounts. Therefore as a precautionary measure they are just making everyone reset.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:21 PM   #88
Poodlemom1
Groupie
Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poodlemom1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Glow HD, Fire HD6, iPad Air 2, Mini 2
I got the email from Sony also. I had changed my password last night but had to change it again today.
Poodlemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 10:17 PM   #89
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
I had already changed my Sony password as well. I don't think there was ever any risk, at least not in my case, but I can understand Sony being cautious. I got the email today, so off I go to change the password again.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 12:08 AM   #90
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Kat View Post
Yes, I doubt that Kobo and Sony would be affected. This whole thing did jog me to change my passwords on those accounts anyway, though, and I did a few others last night as well. One should change one's passwords from time to time anyway, and I hadn't done so for quite a while with the Sony and Kobo accounts.

I use a different password for each account in everything, and there are SO many. Whew!
If you use different passwords for each account then why would you bother changing? Isn't that the point of having different passwords?
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote