Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 11-30-2012, 10:03 PM   #1
Geo.
Geo. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geo. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geo. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geo. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geo. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geo. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geo. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geo. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geo. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geo. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geo. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo
Question for Kobo authors

I reside in New Zealand and was wanting to distribute an ebook through Kobo.
Was wondering if there are any Kobo authors here who could tell me if there would be any problems with having royalty payments deposited in a NZ bank account or a cheque mailed to a NZ address. I know that Amazon KDP won't deposit payments in a NZ account. (payment made by cheque)
Thanks for any info.
Geo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:57 PM   #2
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
I'm in Australia. I went through BookBaby - who can pay via Paypal - and my book is now showing on Kobo and Amazon and so on. It costs, but it gets you in those places not easily accessible to us foreigners otherwise. Smashwords may an option to you, also eBookIt. With any of these services you can choose which of the available resellers you wish to participate on, so if you had some reason for wanting just Kobo (don't know why you'd want that), then you could. There are probably others, but they are the ones I considered most seriously.

ETA: There are recent threads here: on eBookIt and on BookBaby that may be of interest (note discussion relating to tax withholding in the U.S.) - and there are lots of people here with experience using Smashwords.

Last edited by gmw; 11-30-2012 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Also changed distributors to resellers, that's what I meant.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2012, 08:52 PM   #3
Geo.
Geo. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geo. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geo. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geo. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geo. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geo. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geo. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geo. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geo. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geo. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Geo. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo
Thanks for the info' and links GMW. I'll check them out.
Geo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:10 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo. View Post
I reside in New Zealand and was wanting to distribute an ebook through Kobo.
Was wondering if there are any Kobo authors here who could tell me if there would be any problems with having royalty payments deposited in a NZ bank account or a cheque mailed to a NZ address. I know that Amazon KDP won't deposit payments in a NZ account. (payment made by cheque)
Thanks for any info.
The problem is that Amazon send out cheques in US$. If it's only a small amount, the bank charges may well be more than the cheque's value.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:03 PM   #5
jarrahloh
Cageside Chronicles
jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kobo Touch, iPhone
You can go straight through Kobo in Australia and New Zealand and they will pay into your account with local currency – no tax problems needed, as they have offices in both countries!

You'd be crazy to go through Smashy or BookBaby for Kobo if you're in Australia, if you have the time. You're paying tax and % to companies in the US, for a company that is here!

I like their publishing system, it's usually very clean and easy. Every now and then a book gets stuck in 'publishing' for a couple of days.
But I think they're pretty good. They need to promote their books more though.
jarrahloh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2012, 03:18 AM   #6
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrahloh View Post
You can go straight through Kobo in Australia and New Zealand and they will pay into your account with local currency – no tax problems needed, as they have offices in both countries!

You'd be crazy to go through Smashy or BookBaby for Kobo if you're in Australia, if you have the time. You're paying tax and % to companies in the US, for a company that is here!

I like their publishing system, it's usually very clean and easy. Every now and then a book gets stuck in 'publishing' for a couple of days.
But I think they're pretty good. They need to promote their books more though.
The need to promote their author/publisher access better too. Where did you find out about their presence in Australia? I had looked in the past and found very little information, I had assumed they were U.S. only like most others.

Read the threads linked above about BookBaby and not needing U.S. tax numbers through them. I wanted Amazon access and have, for now, chosen BookBaby to avoid the tax and payment problems, but I may have considered going direct with Kobo had I realised they were accessible locally.
Old 12-03-2012, 05:43 PM   #7
jarrahloh
Cageside Chronicles
jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jarrahloh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's true, but Kobo Writing Life has only been open a couple of months and I know they had to update the servers straight away because they had so much demand.

The truth is, the whole 'tax problem' is nowhere as complicated as they try to make it sound. The American system is written like it is wrapped in a million miles of red tape, but the truth is, if you know what to do, it took me all of five minutes to get my own tax number, and Amazon filed it within seven days. And it didn't cost a thing.

If you want more info, let me know.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:29 PM   #8
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarrahloh View Post
[...]If you want more info, let me know.
Did you have to be signed up with Kobo before you found out you could deal with them in Australia? If not, how did you find out?

As for tax. Yes, I could have applied, but - as I understand it - they still withhold 5% for Australians. We can offset that on our tax returns (which we could do even if we let them withhold the full 30%) but that means declaring the income which - since this is still a hobby for me - would not be necessary otherwise. And Amazon can still only pay me in Australia by sending a cheque which would then cost to deposit (discussed on another thread). So I shopped around and chose BookBaby which appears to get me out of those problems, and into places I can't get to on my own (B&N etc.). It costs, but then it was all going to cost me in one way or another. Obviously others will make their own choices but - so far - I'm not unhappy with mine.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:38 PM   #9
jarrahloh
Cageside Chronicles

I signed up for it as soon as it went live as it was big news in digital publishing circles.

Yes, that is all fine, but BookBaby is taking more money and percentage than 5% from you anyway, so what's the difference?
You can get to B&N and Apple and Sony and several others for free through Smashwords. But BookBaby is fine, I hear good things about them from everyone.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:49 PM   #10
gmw
cacoethes scribendi

I rejected Smashwords because I wanted to produce my own epub. I chose BookBaby because the costs were fixed (not a %) and they let me submit my own epub. How those fixed costs come out against various % options will obviously depend on sales, but I live in hope. The 5%/30% tax thing has more to do with complicating my tax returns here unnecessarily (once the income is declared then the tax withheld is just part of tax already paid). My main concern with BookBaby is the cost of issuing updates, which I am yet to have to go through.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:51 PM   #11
jarrahloh
Cageside Chronicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I rejected Smashwords because I wanted to produce my own epub. I chose BookBaby because the costs were fixed (not a %) and they let me submit my own epub. How those fixed costs come out against various % options will obviously depend on sales, but I live in hope. The 5%/30% tax thing has more to do with complicating my tax returns here unnecessarily (once the income is declared then the tax withheld is just part of tax already paid). My main concern with BookBaby is the cost of issuing updates, which I am yet to have to go through.
Yes, Smashwords format isn't the greatest. To say the least