Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-24-2011, 12:29 PM   #1
SamL
I mess around with Epubs
SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: mac, ipad, nook, kindle
Anyone know an iPad emulator for mac?

So I actually don't own any tablet devices such as an ipad, kindle, nook etc. But I still know how to create epubs, and am creating one for a client. So far I have been using Digital Editions and the Nook app on my Mac Book to show screen shots of how layouts would look.

I would really like to find a good iPad emulator that can display EPUBS, does anyone know of any? I have AIRiPad right now, it looks nice, but it doesn't looks too promising for getting books on there.

Thanks!
SamL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 03:53 PM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Is this for ePubs that will be sold in iBooks? Then what you really want is an iBooks emulator...or really, iBooks itself, on the Mac/PC. As do the rest of us
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2011, 10:18 AM   #3
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamL View Post
So I actually don't own any tablet devices such as an ipad, kindle, nook etc. But I still know how to create epubs, and am creating one for a client. So far I have been using Digital Editions and the Nook app on my Mac Book to show screen shots of how layouts would look.

I would really like to find a good iPad emulator that can display EPUBS, does anyone know of any? I have AIRiPad right now, it looks nice, but it doesn't looks too promising for getting books on there.

Thanks!
Are you asking if there is anything that displays an ePub exactly as it would show in iBooks on the iPad? If so no....

Also, the same ePub will "show" differently on the iPad depending on the app used and the settings within the app. Not all apps have the same changeable settings (justified to flush left for example.)

You really need to view the book on an iPad and in several different reader apps. (unless of course, it's going to be exclusive to the iBooks store)
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 04:45 PM   #4
Jim Lester
Evangelist
Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.Jim Lester is less competitive than you.

Device: Nook HD, Nook for Windows 8
An iOS simulator, that will simulate an iPad (or iPhone, or iPod Touch) comes with XCode. However that won't be helpful to you, since I don't know of a good way to get iBooks (or any other app from the App Store) onto the simulator.
Jim Lester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 12:16 PM   #5
SamL
I mess around with Epubs
SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: mac, ipad, nook, kindle
Thanks for the help everyone. I guess what I'm looking for is an iBooks emulator. I just want to be able to show how an epub will looks in different devices, especially the iPad.

Is there a way to take screenshots on an iPad? I have access to an iPad, so I'm wondering if I can put my book on there and take shots of it, so that way I can show the client what it looks like.

I'm at the point where I may just take actual pictures of the book on an iPad, which will look horrible, but better then nothing. So any help is appreciated.
SamL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2011, 12:18 PM   #6
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamL View Post
Thanks for the help everyone. I guess what I'm looking for is an iBooks emulator. I just want to be able to show how an epub will looks in different devices, especially the iPad.

Is there a way to take screenshots on an iPad? I have access to an iPad, so I'm wondering if I can put my book on there and take shots of it, so that way I can show the client what it looks like.

I'm at the point where I may just take actual pictures of the book on an iPad, which will look horrible, but better then nothing. So any help is appreciated.
Press the top (on/off) button and the front (home) button at the same time-instant screenshot!

(the photos get sent to your Photos app, btw)

Last edited by kjk; 04-26-2011 at 12:22 PM.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:58 AM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
No substitute for the real thing. Refurbished iPads start at $349.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:09 AM   #8
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
No substitute for the real thing. Refurbished iPads start at $349.
I buy all my Apple devices as referbs from the Apple store and all have been perfect. Unfortunately, there are currently none available today.
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote