Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Kindle Books

Notices

Old 09-29-2008, 11:22 AM   #1
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Anonymous (Burton Tr): The Thousand Nights and a Night, v.1, 29 September 2008

The Book of The Thousand Nights and a Night
A Plain and Literal Translation of the Arabian Nights Entertainments.
With Introduction Explanatory Notes on the Manners and Customs of Moslem Men and a Terminal Essay upon the History of the Nights.
Translated and Annotated by Richard F. Burton
[Captain Sir Richard Francis Burton K.C.M.G. F.R.G.S. (1821–1890)]

This translation is not for children.

Richard Burton’s The Book of The Thousand Nights and a Night was originally privately published by The Kama Shastra Society, in ten volumes, in 1885. This was a limited edition of 1000 copies (oddly, not 1001).
(A further six volumes were subsequently published as a Supplement to the Nights.)
This edition has used the online plain-text transcriptions from Project Gutenberg http://gutenberg.org, vols 1–10. These contain a number of errors, which I have tried to correct. Some undoubtedly remain.

Footnotes have been linked and collected at the end of the text. I have transliterated Greek characters, except from a line of Homer, which has been inserted as a picture.
I made the decision to insert line breaks within some couplets at the caesura. Unfortunately, few current electronic readers will display the whole line, so the caesura seemed the obvious place for a break. I have added some of the original artwork.
The file is about one and a half million words.

Edited to add:
I have replaced the original file with a better version which includes a cover by pdurrant.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: prc Anon_The Thousand Nights and a Night.prc (5.23 MB, 2191 views)

Last edited by Patricia; 09-30-2008 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Replaced the book with a better-made one.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:35 AM   #2
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Happy happy! Joy joy!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:40 AM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I did enjoy editing and converting it -mostly. Not when the technology plays up.

I may even have a go at the Six-volume Supplemental Nights.
But not just yet.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:44 PM   #4
Patricia
Reader

I have replaced the original file (which had 30 downloads) with a better version, which includes pdurrant's cover.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:57 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
What a treasure of a book. Thank you.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:02 AM   #6
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
thanks!!
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:53 AM   #7
Polyglot27
Addict
Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Archos 80 G9, Sony PRS-650, Sony T1, Asus MemoPad.
Thanks Patricia for the great work. The hyperlinks to the chapters and notes are invaluable. However, just after I started reading, I found the equivalent of over two pages missing. I have the Burton Club reprint and the part missing is from the top of page 9 to the top of page 11(volume 1 of course) before where the poem begins. Also, by chance I picked up an OCR error while I was checking the missing part. The phrase "O my brother, and I reflected that thou art in years my senior..." had "respected" instead of "reflected" which is the correct word. This is just before the missing part.
Polyglot27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:46 AM   #8
Patricia
Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyglot27 View Post
Thanks Patricia for the great work. The hyperlinks to the chapters and notes are invaluable. However, just after I started reading, I found the equivalent of over two pages missing. I have the Burton Club reprint and the part missing is from the top of page 9 to the top of page 11(volume 1 of course) before where the poem begins. Also, by chance I picked up an OCR error while I was checking the missing part. The phrase "O my brother, and I reflected that thou art in years my senior..." had "respected" instead of "reflected" which is the correct word. This is just before the missing part.
Thanks for this. I'll see about correcting the text.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:36 AM   #9
Polyglot27
Addict
Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Archos 80 G9, Sony PRS-650, Sony T1, Asus MemoPad.
Sorry for asking this dumb question. Is there an easy way to edit a prc file. Maybe I could help in correcting the errors if it is not too difficult to do.
Polyglot27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 07:40 AM   #10
Patricia
Reader

Sorry about the delay. I've managed to find a scan of the first volume, and will sit down and do a comparison, so as to restore missing passages. I should be able to get it done by Tuesday . (I've been a bit busy lately.)
Old 03-13-2009, 11:31 AM   #11
pshrynk
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is it done yet?
Old 03-13-2009, 11:32 AM   #12
pshrynk

How about now?
Old 03-13-2009, 11:47 AM   #13
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
How about now?
Go play with VR, he has some bacon.....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:24 AM   #14
quebecotr
quebecotr began at the beginning.

Device: iPod Touch
Thank you for all your work ! I can't wait to read this book. I read these tales as a child, and I'd love to see the original English materials.

Hats off to you !
quebecotr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:18 AM   #15
elena
Connoisseur
elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!elena is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: CyBook Gen3
I have some problems:
"table of contents" and "start reading" from the Contents menu in mobipocket desktop reader don't work. I didn't try them on the reader, yet. Also, notes in the text don't link to the notes at the end of the book.

Last edited by elena; 04-03-2009 at 11:22 AM.
elena is offline   Reply With Quote