Old 05-05-2014, 10:57 AM   #2027
edwdecarlo
Enthusiast
edwdecarlo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX,Nexus 10,Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by brush52 View Post
Collections for selected authors rather than all

Tried to search but to no avail. I am trying to send selected books to the Kindle (keyboard) but the "preview collections without saving" facility appears to be saying that all books (1000+) will be sent.
I am simply trying to send all books from five selected authors into separate author "folders".

Am I missing something obvious -- or is it simply that if I tried it it would work !
One plug-in you may want to use in conjunction is kiwidude's Reading List plug-in. This plug-in allows you to manage the books you currently have on your Kindle (or other readers), and the great thing is that it will automatically run Kindle Collections after it syncs the books (you'll need to indicate that you want it to do this in the Reading List config under the Devices tab).

I have been using Reading List and Kindle Collections together for years, maintaining/syncing the content on all of may families readers (we have 3 all together).

If you search both the Reading List and Kindle Collections threads using my ID (edwdecarlo) you will find several postings I have made to explain how to set then up; as well a solution to overcome the Kindles very poor Series/Grouping management.

Hope this helps.
Advert
Old 05-06-2014, 03:14 AM   #2028
brush52
brush52 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
edwdecarlo
Thanks, will have a look when time allows.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:03 AM   #2029
brush52
brush52 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Quick update
obviously had not done enough research before posting! The solution that worked for me was:-
1. Clear my kindle of all existing books / collections (my choice to do this
2. Tag the books that I wanted to send as collections using 'Edit metadata in bulk'
3. Create a virtual library using button towards top left based on Tag created in 2
4. Select this 'Virtual Library' (highlight all) and send to device
5. Use 'kindle collections' to create the collections on the device.

Not sure if I have remembered all the steps exactly but it is a relatively painless process.

Apologies to those who kindly replied -- should have spent more time with google and less time playing around in Calibre
Old 05-10-2014, 05:32 PM   #2030
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@brush52: Good to know it doesn't blow up with Virtual Libraries (so *that*'s what's the feature is called! ), thanks for getting back to us .
Advert
Old 05-19-2014, 07:13 PM   #2031
jesse487
jesse487 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Calibre Collections and Kindle Paperwhite

Can someone help me figure out how to get the collections that I have created on my desktop library using Calibre to my Kindle Paperwhite? I did this before with the Kindle DX, but I have not been able to do this with the Paperwhite
Old 05-19-2014, 07:26 PM   #2032
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
You will need to jailbreak and install the Collections Manager kindlet if you want to manage collections from the Kindle Touch onwards. Instructions are in the linked thread.
Old 06-06-2014, 06:16 PM   #2033
Gflat
Gflat began at the beginning.

Device: Original kindke
Please forgive if if this is either a stupid question. Or It's been answered already

I'm using this plug in to organise the (many) books on my original kindle

So I load the plugin, create by author (or author sort) and then 'create collection'

When it's all done, I restart the kindle and there are my collections... Only they are wrong

Stoker, bram (0)

H.p. Lovecraft(0)

Even "king, stephen(0)" which if you knew my reading taste is completely impossible

There are books on the kindle by mr king (hell, I even have his books on my phone)

If I 'enter' these folders, then they are empty

A bit later in the list, there are valid looking entries

James, m.r. (3)

And I can enter, and read one of the books

But when I 'go back' there are no collections, just a list of books

Sort by 'collections' is greyed out

If I restart, then the wrong looking collections are back again, and vanish just the same way

Any ideas?
Old 06-06-2014, 06:55 PM   #2034
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How 'many' is many? The catalog is loaded by increment, and newer collections tend to appear first, and as empty until the full catalog is loaded, at which point they fill up and get sorted appropriately.

And which Kindle model is that, exactly? Because the 'original' Kindle is the K1, and that doesn't even support collections, so you *at least* have a K2 with a recent FW version.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:07 PM   #2035
Gflat
Gflat began at the beginning.

Device: Original kindke
And that is of course the answer ... I just was not waiting long enough for the collection to populate. After I had marshalled my limited amounts of patience, everything works just fine

Thank you for your assistance
Old 06-10-2014, 05:11 PM   #2036
kboley
kboley began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
Can't see Kindle collections

Hi, Sorry if this question has been asked and answered already but I can't find it if it has.

I'm a mac user, paperwhite owner and am using Calibre(1.39) newbie.

Followed this web-sites instructions,
http://www.howtogeek.com/169088/how-...e-collections/

Installed Collections Management and its prerequisites then the kindles collections plug-in.

The kindles collections icon comes up on the toolbar but when I try to import my collections Calibre says no collections found. I ran the report function and its only seeing my books not my collections.

I can see the collections and items in the Collections Manager. What have I done wrong?

Thanks for any replies and sorry again if this is just a repeat.
Old 06-10-2014, 05:40 PM   #2037
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@koley: And what collections would that be that you were trying to import, exactly?

And because I fear this'll come up later: which FW version is your device running?

Also, please peruse the official documentations, because even quality third party documentation usually ends up being outdated pretty quick (which happens to be the case in this instance).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-10-2014 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-10-2014, 06:44 PM   #2038
kboley

Hi NiLuJe,
Thanks for the reply.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
@koley: And what collections would that be that you were trying to import, exactly?

And because I fear this'll come up later: which FW version is your device running?

Also, please peruse the official documentations, because even quality third party documentation usually ends up being outdated pretty quick (which happens to be the case in this instance).
The collections I made on my Kindle.

The FW version is: Kindle 5.3.4(1848900011) - I'm pretty sure the docs said this was an okay version to use the hacks with.

Could you point me to the official docs please because I'm not sure which ones you mean.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:15 PM   #2039
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@kboley: Then, provided you're using the tweaked version of the plugin, you've simply forgotten to run an export from CM's Sync menu first.

As for the docs, on Calibre's side, you're in the right place, and on the Kindle's side, that's over there.

And yep, that FW version is okay, although be wary of official updates if you have wireless enabled .
Old 06-12-2014, 01:49 PM   #2040
kboley

@NiLuJe

You're right I did not know about the export function. Ran that and a file called kindle_collections_path_cache.calibre was produced on the kindle.

The kindle collection tool is still not recognising my collections. If I run the report it does recognise that there are books on the kindle.

Do you think this a kindle problem and should I be posting my questions on that thread you linked me to?

Thanks.
Closed Thread