Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 01:03 AM   #1
Vienna01
Old Dog Learns New Tricks
Vienna01 doesn't litterVienna01 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500,PocketBook 301, Sony 650
How To Add OPF Book To Calibre?

As an early adopter it has been years since I have been on the forum. Lots of catching up to do. I should be considered a beginner again after so long away from ebook technology.

I have several books that I will call OPF format because it doesn't seem to be any familiar other format. [I know opf file is the meta data].
Each book has;
META-INF folder with only a "container.xml" file
A mimetype file that contains the string "application/epub+zip"
A OEBPS folder with many HTML files,a "content.opf" file,a "cover.html" file,a "template.css" file, a "toc.ncx" file, a "toc.xhtml" file, many HTML files, and an Images folder containing many jpg files.
I thought I understood what HTML, css and xml files were, but in this context, I am not so sure.

My search of the net & the forum has not helped me understand HOW to add this format book to Calibre. Perhaps I have used wrong search criteria.

I wish to add this "OPF" book to Calibre and convert it to EPUB.

I have tried "opening several of the non-HTML files with Calibre but end up with an "unknown" that is not viewable using Calibre.
I can look at each HTML file individually with a web browser of course.

When I click on Calibre's ADD, what file or folder from my "OPF" book should I select to be the candidate for conversion?
If you can provide something step by step like that would be great.

I have Calibre installed on a Mac[Actually a Hackintosh]10.6.7 and on Windows 7. I would prefer to use the Mac version of Calibre but if it is easier to explain how I add the book in the Windows version that will be fine too.
My reader is a first generation Pocket Book.

Last edited by Vienna01; 12-15-2011 at 01:06 AM.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:06 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
zip up the files into a .zip and add that to calibre
Old 12-15-2011, 11:59 AM   #3
Vienna01

Converting OPF Books Using Calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
zip up the files into a .zip and add that to calibre
kovidgoyal,
I didn't expect a response from the Calibre creator-WOW thanks

I zipped them up and WAS able to get the zip file into Calibre
BUT
After I selected the entry in Calibre and asked it to Convert
I received the ERROR message
"no suitable source was found".
When I tried to VIEW the BOOK from Calibre error message was
NO SUITABLE FORMAT
I also tried viewing & converting metadata.opf but no success there.
CALIBRE WAS able to understand the book's title correctly though.

What should I try next?
Old 12-15-2011, 12:27 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you have a zip file in the book record, calibre will convert it. WHat version of calibre are you on?
Old 12-22-2011, 10:14 AM   #5
Vienna01

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
If you have a zip file in the book record, calibre will convert it. WHat version of calibre are you on?
I have version 0.8.30

Sorry I didn't get back to you immediately. I thought I had sent the reply the same day I read your reply. Guess the age is creating excess of "senior moments".
Old 12-22-2011, 12:09 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Open a bug report and attach the zip file that isn't converting.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:35 AM   #7
elfed
elfed began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle. Hudl 2
I have a similar problem. My rar files are not converting.
Old 08-28-2015, 10:28 AM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@elfed: You already have a thread where you['re asking for help but seem totally unable to provide any REAL info as to what the heck you are doing.

Rather than posting to an OLD thread why not update the thread YOU started with real, relevant data. Maybe screen shots of exactly WHAT you are doing, sample files showing what you are using.

To jog your memory see Directory missing after adding .opi file to .rar
Closed Thread

Tags
calibre add book, calibre conversion, opf