Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-24-2010, 01:49 PM   #1
mdmorrissey
Addict
mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 360
Android tablets about to break?

Found these today:

http://www.android-tablet.org/tag/android-tablet/
http://www.wikio.com/video/firstview...webcam-3317746

Ever since I read that Google is working on 1) a new (Android?) operating system AND a new hardware device to work with it, optimizing internet access and (I hope) ebook reading (hard to imagine without e-ink), I have been looking out for this... Is this it?
mdmorrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 01:55 PM   #2
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Hard to imagine? I find reading on my iPhone or iPad to be a terrific experience except in full sun. I read for hours -- no noticeable eye strain. Actually, I have less eyestrain than reading with books as it's a lot easier to adjust the brightness of the screen than the brightness of my room.

One's mileage will vary. Only you can determine if you can read on an lcd comfortably. I will say one shouldn't judge one's experience reading on a computer monitor and assume reading on a phone or tablet will be the same. It hasn't been for me.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2010, 01:56 PM   #3
mdmorrissey
Addict
mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Here is another link. The thing is obviously on the market, for 101.14 euros: http://www.szprice.com/tags/tablet-pc.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:00 PM   #4
mdmorrissey
Addict

Well, leebase, I'm really neutral. I don't even have a reader yet. I expect the Pocketbook 360 to arrive tomorrow. Then maybe I'll have more to say. I like the Ectaco Jetbook, too, mainly due to the price and the use of ordinary batteries, but yes, I would probably go for a combo netbook-ebook reader if the price was right. That will come, surely.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:58 PM   #5
brudigia
Evangelist
brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.brudigia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPAD AirPro M1 12.9, Kindle Scribe, Kobo Elipsa, iPhone XV
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmorrissey View Post
Here is another link. The thing is obviously on the market, for 101.14 euros: http://www.szprice.com/tags/tablet-pc.
Yeah, but look at the battery, it says it will last up to 2 hours. Now, two hours !!!!!!
brudigia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2010, 06:26 PM   #6
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
With these new coupon on the tablets, the Android is going to take off
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:58 PM   #7
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Are we going to see the same thing as last year? Everybody saying that they will have a Android device out in time for Christmas, preorder now!

And then few do, and what does come out is only half way finished.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 09:27 PM   #8
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
PC World thinks otherwise: http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...e_devices.html

I may be wrong, but it's my understanding that Android is also a little tougher to develop for than some OS's, including the iPhone / iPad and Windows OS. It's a bit more hardware-dependent, and the OS iterations are fairly rapid: http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2009/...fragmentation/

It's still possible a batch of Android-based tablets will come out, as these issues don't seem to be slowing down Android smartphones too badly. But I expect it's going to take a bit of time and isn't a sure thing.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote