Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-26-2009, 01:02 PM   #16
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOECHICK View Post
I was really torn, but I love my 505 so much that I thought the 300 would be a downgrade
I love my 505 too! Just heading out now to check out a 300 in person. The portability would be great, and I hope that it is still very legible--not that much smaller than the 505.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 01:12 PM   #17
SHOECHICK
Addict
SHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheese

Device: Red Sony 505 and Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMoze View Post
I love my 505 too! Just heading out now to check out a 300 in person. The portability would be great, and I hope that it is still very legible--not that much smaller than the 505.
Let us know what you think, if I change my mind I can always return the 505. I figured for the $20 - $30 difference, stick with what I know. I also wouldn't buy a 600 in Canada because of the ridiculous price.. $399 instead of the us $299 - that's ridiculous.
SHOECHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2009, 01:43 PM   #18
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Will do! You can't go wrong with the 505 in my opinion. But my gf has a 500 still, so I figure an upgrade would let her have access to public libraries too. And not being a woman, I have no bag to carry my 505 with me everywhere. No complaints about the 505 though--I've had mine for about 1.5 years, have read about 100-150(?) books on it, and still going strong. (BTW, the 300 has no memory card slot, which doesn't concern me. I have over 100 novels on my 505 and am using about half the internal memory. The 300 has about twice as much user memory as the 505....)
Old 08-26-2009, 01:51 PM   #19
SHOECHICK
Addict
SHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheeseSHOECHICK can extract oil from cheese

Device: Red Sony 505 and Ipad
Quote:
Will do! You can't go wrong with the 505 in my opinion. But my gf has a 500 still, so I figure an upgrade would let her have access to public libraries too. And not being a woman, I have no bag to carry my 505 with me everywhere. No complaints about the 505 though--I've had mine for about 1.5 years, have read about 100-150(?) books on it, and still going strong. (BTW, the 300 has no memory card slot, which doesn't concern me. I have over 100 novels on my 505 and am using about half the internal memory. The 300 has about twice as much user memory as the 505....)
That was actually a big draw for me, the extra memory of the 300, but realistically, I have 136 books on my 505, some as big as 4/5 MB how many more do I need to be carrying around with me? My husband will be getting my Silver 505 and me the brand new shiny red one Another two years or so and we'll see some pretty amazing e:readers, I might switch to Apple at that time should they ever release their tablet
SHOECHICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 02:24 PM   #20
thechansen
thechansen began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
The 505 does have the ever useful SD card slot. I have the internal memory dedicated to ebook purchased through the store, and the SD card slot carries all of my computer related PDFs (Mac service manuals, Active Directory cheat sheets, common linux commands, etc.) I have two 1gb cards that I swap back in forth depending on if I need to look up mac/linux stuff or windows server stuff
thechansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2009, 02:35 PM   #21
nobylspoon
Zealot
nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Asus Transformer, WIFI Xoom, EVO LTE, 3G Paperwhite 10/2
Well I submitted my order yesterday and its now being processed but I noticed both the red and silver 505s are marked sold out on Dell.com, hope they still have one to fill my order :/

Last edited by nobylspoon; 08-27-2009 at 03:04 PM.
nobylspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:54 AM   #22
nobylspoon
Zealot
nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Asus Transformer, WIFI Xoom, EVO LTE, 3G Paperwhite 10/2
Well they told me it wouldn't ship out until the end of the month so I cancelled the order. Turns out Fry's has alot of them instock still and they are on sale this week so I'm picking one up as soon as I get off work today
nobylspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:24 AM   #23
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
No love for the 300?
If I had to chose between the two, I would favor 300 over 505. 200 DPI is nice (with bigger font size), 5" as well. So is new ADE. Sony is bad when it comes to the frequency of software updates, 300 might have a longer support life cycle.

What I really want, though, is touch_screen/dictionary integration of 600.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:57 AM   #24
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
If I had to chose between the two, I would favor 300 over 505. 200 DPI is nice (with bigger font size), 5" as well. So is new ADE. Sony is bad when it comes to the frequency of software updates, 300 might have a longer support life cycle.

What I really want, though, is touch_screen/dictionary integration of 600.
Unfortunately the PRS-300 doesn't have "new ADE"; it has the same, rather old, ADE implementation as the older models of Reader do.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:24 PM   #25
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Unfortunately the PRS-300 doesn't have "new ADE"; it has the same, rather old, ADE implementation as the older models of Reader do.
Oh, how very nice of them.

Resources are available for firmware encryption, but even the latest hardware is not worthy of the ADE update. And they plan to convert their store completely to ePub?

Thanks for the info, HarryT.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 01:40 PM   #26
DrMoze
Booknut

I am pretty sure we'll see firmware updates fpor the Reader line before Sony converts over to ePub sales. And the Readers handle pdf-format ADE ebooks just fine.

Harry: ADE IS NOT THE SAME AS EPUB!!!!!!!!

Sony needs to update its ePub handling, but other ADE formats work just fine. PDF reflow works great, fully-justified and all.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:38 PM   #27
goto10
goto10 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I've just bought a 505 (2 days ago I'd never heard of an eReader. it was an advert for the 300/600 that piqued my interest - I decided on the 505 for most reasons mentioned in this thread), lovely device in general (read 2 books in the first 24 hours!), I just wish it had 2 big fat buttons (each side) for page turning rather than the diddy ones on the device, they're far too fiddly IMO.
The library service is excellent ( http://essex.bookaisle.com/ ), the cost of the device will be recouped very quickly from the amount of books I'll borrow.
goto10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 09:49 PM   #28
richman
Addict
richman is on a distinguished road

Device: sony prs-505 *BLUE*,itouch,netbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by goto10 View Post
I've just bought a 505 (2 days ago I'd never heard of an eReader. it was an advert for the 300/600 that piqued my interest - I decided on the 505 for most reasons mentioned in this thread), lovely device in general (read 2 books in the first 24 hours!), I just wish it had 2 big fat buttons (each side) for page turning rather than the diddy ones on the device, they're far too fiddly IMO.
The library service is excellent ( http://essex.bookaisle.com/ ), the cost of the device will be recouped very quickly from the amount of books I'll borrow.
maybe check out the hacks for the 505, I made the 505 so I have 3 places to turn pages and could have more if I wanted, the 2 joypads can change pages for me as well as the middle right. The hacks give you options as to what buttons do what. Before the hack if I held the 505 with my right hand it was pain to turn pages , but with the 2 joypads as page turn, either hand can use one of them to turn pages.
Also I like the hack turn off with center button held for 5 seconds. Shuts the unit down completely and not on stand-by. I don't have to recharge the 505 for a month or 2 and leave it turned on when I use it and put on standby if I take a few hour break.
At first I used the standby button at top of unit, and it gave me 2 to 3 week battery life, NOW if I know I'm not gonna be using the 505 for 10 hours or more , I push center button and turn it off, restart from cold takes about 35 seconds. Standby mode is 1/2 second.

Last edited by richman; 09-02-2009 at 09:51 PM.
richman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:17 PM   #29
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by goto10 View Post
Use the round big button on the bottom for page changes, it's much easier. I never use the button next to the numbers for page change. Your thumb should fall right on it if you're right handed.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 05:33 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
I am pretty sure we'll see firmware updates fpor the Reader line before Sony converts over to ePub sales. And the Readers handle pdf-format ADE ebooks just fine.

Harry: ADE IS NOT THE SAME AS EPUB!!!!!!!!

Sony needs to update its ePub handling, but other ADE formats work just fine. PDF reflow works great, fully-justified and all.
Please read what I said more carefully. The previous poster said that the new Sonys had "new ADE". I simply stated that the ADE implementation on the new devices is the same as that on the old - a perfectly true statement.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote