Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-19-2009, 02:59 AM   #1
kamm
Zealot
kamm doesn't litterkamm doesn't litter

Device: Kindle: Amazon's Original Wireless Reading Device (1st generation)
Buying used

Unless something (r)evolutionary arrives I'm gonna buy a used K1, less likely a K2.

Now my question is: what should I check before I pay? Does it have to be un-registered or registered? How do I check it? Is there anything else to look for?

TIA
kamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:25 AM   #2
kamm
Zealot

BUMP
Advert
Old 05-19-2009, 11:26 AM   #3
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Even if you buy it while it was still registered, I think Amazon can deregister it for you.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:27 AM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
What sort of bargains are you finding on K1's? I'm just curious, too lazy to search ebay for myself.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:35 PM   #5
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Unless you're really strapped for cash or really want the SD card capability there's almost no reason for a new customer to get a K1 over a K2.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2009, 12:49 PM   #6
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
I would check to see if there is any time left on the warranty

(I think I read somewhere that for transfers, Amazon uses the mfg date and not the purchase date..but not sure if that is accurate. Separately purchased Square Trade warranties are also transferable).
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 02:32 PM   #7
Hawking821
Hawking821 began at the beginning.

Device: none
i would first try the warranty but the K2 is amazing i love it
Hawking821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 03:36 PM   #8
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I got a used K1 for $200 off of Craigslist a couple weeks after the K2 came out.

Not much you need to know. Ask how old it is and how the battery life is doing. If it's less than a year since they bought it then you still have some warranty left. Battery is good to ask as some K1's have problems with the battery not holding a charge after a few months of heavy use. But not a deal breaker as you can get a new battery for $20 (or a bit less from other battery sites besides Amazon.

Registered or deregistered isn't a big deal, you can deregister it and re-register it right through the device via the whisper net.

Another thing to know is that books (including ones purchased from Amazon) left on the device by the previous owner when they sell it to you will remain there for you to read even after you register it in your name. Just don't delete them off the device as they cannot be redownloaded like books you buy under your own account.

I haven't regretted my decision at all. $200 was the upper limit I was willing to spend on an e-reader--being a fairly casual reader compared to most here. And the K2 didn't add any features I need. No interest in text to speech, the 16 shades of gray vs 4 doesn't matter for pure text (and I just use it for novels and non-fiction books) and the button placement etc. on the K1 doesn't bother me.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:15 PM   #9
kamm
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
What sort of bargains are you finding on K1's? I'm just curious, too lazy to search ebay for myself.
You can get it usually around $200 if you can wait for the deal.
Old 05-19-2009, 04:16 PM   #10
kamm
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Unless you're really strapped for cash or really want the SD card capability there's almost no reason for a new customer to get a K1 over a K2.
That's the problem: I want the SD card and don't want to blow more than $200 on this 'experiment' just yet plus the non-replaceable K2 battery and missing web hacks doesn't help K2's case either...
Old 05-19-2009, 04:17 PM   #11
kamm
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
I would check to see if there is any time left on the warranty

(I think I read somewhere that for transfers, Amazon uses the mfg date and not the purchase date..but not sure if that is accurate. Separately purchased Square Trade warranties are also transferable).
Good idea. How do you do that?
Old 05-19-2009, 04:21 PM   #12
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
I bought my 505 off craigslist last year, for me I'd look at the general shape of the device. If you see a lot of wear or scratches on the eInk, it probably was abused and who knows what gremlins could be waiting for you. Mine was spotless, the gentleman I bought it from, and his wife obviously took very good care of it... Pay attention to areas like the connections, switches and the buttons. You can tell if it has been used with a heavy hand if you see the paint worn down/off in those areas.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:23 PM   #13
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I'm pretty sure the warranty is one year from the date of purchase/first registration.

No way that I'm aware of for you to check that, you just have to take the seller's word for it on when they bought it.

After you get it I'm sure you could call/e-mail Amazon and ask if there's any time left on the warranty, and if so how much. I don't see any place that lists such info in the Manage My Kindle page on Amazon.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:38 PM   #14
kamm
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawking821 View Post
i would first try the warranty but the K2 is amazing i love it
See dmaul's comment after yours - I'm in the same shoes, I don't really get excited to spend $150-$200 for essentially less (at least for me) while getting the same basic features (gopher and books reading.)
Old 05-19-2009, 04:39 PM   #15
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I agree that with Craig's list (if you live in or near a larger city) can be better since there is usually no bidding and you can probably see the unit prior to buying. OTOH for those of us who live away from such cities, we take our chances on ebay. I got my K1 for $216 and still se them sometimes going in that price range.

I most definitely would not buy a new K2 and I know some "died in the wool" Kindle owners who feel the same although there are others who swear by their K2s. BTW the K1 is not nearly as ugly "up close and personal" as it looks in pictures.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote