Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-28-2009, 09:52 PM   #16
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
I'd get the M-edge cover with the hinges, if only they didn't put the straps on the right-hand side. The Kindle doesn't flop around in the Amazon case, so IMO, the straps aren't necessary. I wish they'd make them optional.
Cut them off then.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:55 PM   #17
jeremy81
Enthusiast
jeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheesejeremy81 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Fire & Kindle 3
I agree. The hinge was the main reason I went with the Amazon cover. My case had a very strong odor to begin with also! I smelled it as soon as I opened the box. I'm not sure if it was the dye or some glue used. It doesn't smell at all like leather. Anyhow, the odor has slowly dissipated and doesn't bother me now.
jeremy81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2009, 10:12 PM   #18
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLS View Post
What doesn't smell to you may smell strongly to someone else. I am very sensitive to odors and I can smell many things others can't. Luckily only a few strong odors bother me (trigger migraines) and they can be easily avoided.
I too am sensitive to smells. I don't get ill or anything. Just some smells do bother me as I do not care for them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:42 PM   #19
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
Poorly tanned leather can be hideous. Obviously these cases are coming from multiple hides.
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:56 PM   #20
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by krisk View Post
Poorly tanned leather can be hideous. Obviously these cases are coming from multiple hides.
Must be. Other than a faint leather smell mine has no odor at all, something I'm really sensitive to.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-01-2009, 12:07 AM   #21
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisreed View Post
I agree too. Really like the amazon cover. Also like that it has no straps or pockets so it looks really like a book cover. It stays firmly shut and also the padding inside feels good on the hands and seems very protective. Would love more color options but black will go with any skin I plan on getting. (www.decalgirl.com has about 80 choices up already).
I agree. The black leather cover may seem plain to some but for a business professional I think it looks chic! I ordered the deep red roses skin from decalgirl. That will give my Kindle some Wow and uniqueness and protect the Kindle case itself. Plus I think the white casing would get dingy in no time while the skin can be wipe off if needed.
Sniff, sniff..... haven't noticed any "smell" per se, but I just did a sniff test on it and can detect a slight leather smell, certainly nothing objectionable.

Last edited by MsAstoria; 03-01-2009 at 12:12 AM.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:22 AM   #22
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
Well I'm thinking they may have gotten a bad hide. It happens. I got a fairly upscale leather purse last year that was horrid. I was traveling literally every week and could not return it. It's still hanging from a tree outside "airing out".
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:01 AM   #23
round 2
round 2 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 1 & 2 home
does it bend back flat?
S
round 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:30 AM   #24
lisreed
Addict
lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.lisreed is no ebook tyro.

Device: Nook GlowLight 3
Yes it does bend back entirely flat.
lisreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:51 AM   #25
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
They call them scissors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrowley View Post
I'd get the M-edge cover with the hinges, if only they didn't put the straps on the right-hand side. The Kindle doesn't flop around in the Amazon case, so IMO, the straps aren't necessary. I wish they'd make them optional.
Make them optional? I think they call them scissors right? You probably have a pair lying around in a drawer.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:12 AM   #26
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaLS View Post
What doesn't smell to you may smell strongly to someone else. I am very sensitive to odors and I can smell many things others can't.
Leather is a highly porous and absorbent organic product. A real chamois "cloth" used for drying your Rolls Royce after a wash is actually a piece of chamois antelope leather.

My Kindle 2 cover wasn't exactly hermetically sealed in the simple cardboard box it was shipped in.

It doesn't take a piece of bad cow to make leather smell bad. Just simple environmental exposure can lead to all kinds of things happening. Get some mayonaise or coca cola on your leather and you can have quite a nasty bacteria culture going making all kinds of odors.

I recommend a good quality silicone based protectant for all leather products (I personally use Kenneth Cole's product). The silicone gets down in the pores and helps keep stuff you don't want from soaking into your leather.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 10:40 AM   #27
tlrowley
Quilt Geek
tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.tlrowley is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Cut them off then.

BOb
That would be even uglier, I think. I wonder if I could just un-stitch them?
tlrowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:17 AM   #28
Keeyum
Keeyum began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I have the Amazon cover and I agree completely! I absolutely love the hinges. Keeps it from moving without velcro or straps. I really like the fact that the cover completely folds back as well. The fabric on the inside I find to be incredibly soft. I would say I am completely satisfied with my purchase. Mine did have a smell when I took it out of the box(giving me a slight headache), but the smell has dissipated since then. I have to put my nose right up to it to smell it now.
Keeyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 07:06 AM   #29
rjroubi
rjroubi began at the beginning.

I like the amazon cover. I have no problem with it. When I transport my Kindle, I do put it (with the amazon cover) in the zipped Patagonia case. It's a snug fit, but I feel it stays more secure that way.

RJ
rjroubi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 03:43 PM   #30
Damętas
Connoisseur
Damętas doesn't litterDamętas doesn't litter

I work with leather and intend on making my own cover. I would like to integrate the hinge system. Is the hinge itself available for purchase or must I purchase and cannibalize one of the cases that uses it?
Damętas is offline   Reply With Quote