Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-15-2013, 12:40 PM   #1
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
x11vnc on the Touch / Paperwhite

Further to nasser's request about connecting INTO a device via VNC here is the resulting posts split off:

.................................................. ...................

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=150434
I use that for VNC. (viewing on the kindle - FROM a computers VNC)

I also just built the tools (with Knc1's help and initial instruction) from buildroot.

/mnt/us/extensions/system/bin/vnc
/mnt/us/extensions/system/bin/x11vnc
/mnt/us/extensions/system/bin/Xvnc-start.sh

where vnc is

Code:
#!/bin/sh
x11vnc -shared -noxdamage -forever -noncache
simple as that. For connecting the other way - I.E. INTO the device.

Hope that helps

Last edited by twobob; 08-17-2013 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Background
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #2
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many..
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=150434
I use that for VNC. (viewing)
--this is ok.. but not what i was asking for..

I also just built the tools (with Knc1's help and initial instruction) from buildroot.
-- sounds more interesting..

/mnt/us/extensions/system/bin/vnc
/mnt/us/extensions/system/bin/x11vnc
/mnt/us/extensions/system/bin/Xvnc-start.sh

where vnc is

Code:
#!/bin/sh
x11vnc -shared -noxdamage -forever -noncache
simple as that. For connecting the other way - I.E. INTO the device.
-- yes.. that's what i was asking for..
Hope that helps
-- well.. a proper howto.. sorry, tutorial and binaries would be better..
-------
nasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2013, 01:17 PM   #3
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A guide to?

buildroot? Here's an extreme example: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=188031
All the principles required to build a kernel MORE than ace the needs to build a simple app (which is included by default btw)

Here's an "Adding Stuff" guide for when you get ninja.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=106

I may split this lot off to a new thread at some point.

Anyways. There is a WHOLE RAFT of posts by me about using buildroot.
Plus the buildroot docs (which are very helpful) and a whole bunch of stuff by knc1 too.

Hope that helps.

And... if you want the binary...
https://github.com/twobob/buildroot-...target/usr/bin

would be a good place to start.
Hope that helps.

and finally:

Here's one I made earlier
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=201703

Last edited by twobob; 08-15-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 12:14 AM   #4
nasser
Evangelist
nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nasser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
A guide to?

buildroot? Here's an extreme example: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=188031
All the principles required to build a kernel MORE than ace the needs to build a simple app (which is included by default btw)

Here's an "Adding Stuff" guide for when you get ninja.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=106

I may split this lot off to a new thread at some point.

Anyways. There is a WHOLE RAFT of posts by me about using buildroot.
Plus the buildroot docs (which are very helpful) and a whole bunch of stuff by knc1 too.

Hope that helps.

And... if you want the binary...
https://github.com/twobob/buildroot-...target/usr/bin

would be a good place to start.
Hope that helps.

and finally:

Here's one I made earlier
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=201703
Thanks a lot, twobob..!

But i'm afraid all this is beyond my current level of comprehension and skills..

So.. will wait till you or someone else prepares a nice ready-to-eat package..
Old 08-16-2013, 08:39 AM   #5
twobob

I did.

That's the last link.

Just rip out the bit you need. Shove it on the device. Run it in the way I have shown.
May need to punch a hole in your firewall for port 5900.

I'll think about turning that into a button then.
Advert
Old 08-16-2013, 04:35 PM   #6
nasser
Evangelist

Quote:
I did.

That's the last link.

Just rip out the bit you need. Shove it on the device. Run it in the way I have shown.
May need to punch a hole in your firewall for port 5900.

I'll think about turning that into a button then.
Ok.. I took the plunge..

Created new folder /mnt/us/extensions/x11vnc
Copied the folders bin and kindle-lib from x11vnc.tar.gz(attached to your referred post) to /mnt/us/extensions/x11vnc
ran kterm
did cd /mnt/us/extensions/x11vnc/bin
did LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/mnt/us/extensions/x11vnc/kindle-lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
didn't touch any firewall -- i have not installed the BBB thing
did ./x11vnc
some stuff came up on kterm window..
then, from my ubuntu linux box vncd into kindle through USB..
it worked.. was able to see identical screen on pc..
but.. pc keystrokes were not recognised.. also kterm stopped responding..

disconnected usb.. restarted kterm and kual..

kterm came up.. but keyboard still not responding..

restarted kindle.. now kterm behaving normal..
what did i miss out..?
Old 08-16-2013, 06:30 PM   #7
twobob

Hmmm.... I will digest this and get back to you.

pc keystrokes in KTERM huh... hmm....

I'll give this a look over in the morning then.

Perhaps a button IS in order...
Old 08-17-2013, 12:40 AM   #8
nasser
Evangelist

Quote:
Hmmm.... I will digest this and get back to you.

pc keystrokes in KTERM huh... hmm....

I'll give this a look over in the morning then.

Perhaps a button IS in order...
no hurry..
take your time..
thanks in advance..
Old 08-17-2013, 09:21 AM   #9
nasser
Evangelist

Made up a kual button myself.. see attachment..

Launched the button from kual..

Connected from ubuntu linux box using remote desktop viewer with vnc protocol..

Now able to see the kindle screen on pc..

But.. not able to interact with it from pc.. mouse movements/clicks not recognised..

Still able to use kindle though.. and the pc screen changes accordingly..

[moderator removed attachment, updated one below]

Last edited by twobob; 11-04-2013 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:32 AM   #10
twobob

I'll test that.

Okay quick point for future reader:
The ABOVE attachment EXPECTS to be in folder called /mnt/us/extensions/x11vnc

Hmmmmm.... [ Read 12 lines (Converted from DOS format) ]
What EDITOR are you using? That seems like it is DOS encoded???

FEEDBACK: seems to work fine using xtightvncviewer <IP ADDRESS>
What viewer you using?

I think I'll break this off to a new thread. EDIT <done>

Also I think I will repackage this thing to be a tadge more resilient.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_519.png
Views:	285
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	109534  

Last edited by twobob; 08-17-2013 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:27 AM   #11
twobob

Touch and Paperwhite. x11vnc KUAL Buttoniser

REPACK:
  • Changed line endings,
  • elided system libs,
  • added folder structure,
  • reworking menuing to new KUAL format,
  • added STOP button,
  • added firewall hole-punch,
  • runs with screen optimisations in -forever mode.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Selection_517.png
Views:	649
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	109532   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_518.png
Views:	566
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	109533  
Attached Files
File Type: zip x11vnc-KUAL.zip (450.5 KB, 1479 views)

Last edited by twobob; 08-17-2013 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:58 AM   #12
nasser
Evangelist

Quote:
I'll test that.

Okay quick point for future reader:
The ABOVE attachment EXPECTS to be in folder called /mnt/us/extensions/x11vnc

Hmmmmm.... [ Read 12 lines (Converted from DOS format) ]
What EDITOR are you using? That seems like it is DOS encoded???
--gedit in ubuntu linux.. dunno if the codepage got screwed up.. inadvertently..

FEEDBACK: seems to work fine using xtightvncviewer <IP ADDRESS>
What viewer you using?
--vinagre: remote desktop viewer for gnome v2.30.2

I think I'll break this off to a new thread. EDIT <done>

Also I think I will repackage this thing to be a tadge more resilient.

--the master chef's touch is always better..
-----
Old 08-17-2013, 11:59 AM   #13
twobob

I'll try vinagre now. one sec.

EDIT: also works okay?

Hmm.... You don't have it on VIEW ONLY mode do you?
That would be exactly as you are describing...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Selection_520.png
Views:	358
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	109547  

Last edited by twobob; 08-17-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:14 PM   #14
nasser
Evangelist

Working now..
Tried various vnc viewers..
vinagre - mouse cursor is invisible
tightvncviewer - not able to scale, scrollbar once used, becomes frozen
xvnc4viewer - not able to scale

finally settled on ssvnc -
Quote:
An enhanced version of the TightVNC client with support for more encodings and color modes, support for x11vnc and UltraVNC extensions, dynamic screen resizing, an improved popup menu, etc.

.. set scale to 0.5 for best viewing on my netbook's 1024x600 display..

Once again, thanks a lot, twobob..!

EDIT(20131104): since then migrated to ubuntu 12.0.4.. here the pre-installed "remmina remote desktop client" works ok too

Last edited by nasser; 11-04-2013 at 08:43 AM.
Old 08-17-2013, 03:33 PM   #15
twobob

happy days. Glad it is sorted mate