Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 07-15-2012, 09:09 AM   #1
Boekenworm
Boekenworm is on a distinguished road

Device: iPad
Exclamation series_index gets reset to [1] using "edit metadata in bulk, basic metadata"

Hi,

I encountered some unexpected Calibre behaviour.

When I tried to modify the series field of some books using "edit metadata in bulk, basic metadata" not only the series field was modified, but also the series_index field was set to [1]. I did not select "automatically number books in this series". I would have expected that the series_index field would be unaffected.
I had some books with "Dresden Files" and some with "The Dresden Files" as series, all with correct series_index information and tried to rename the series.
When I use "edit metadata in bulk, Search and replace" to modify the series, series_index is not changed to [1].

I think this is a bug.

Also it would be nice if it would be possible to have an empty series_index value (e.g. []) for books that have no clear sequence in a series, or for which the sequence is not known yet.

Grtz, Lezer
Boekenworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 09:31 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boekenworm View Post

Also it would be nice if it would be possible to have an empty series_index value (e.g. []) for books that have no clear sequence in a series, or for which the sequence is not known yet.

Grtz, Lezer
You can use a Zero

There had to be rules for series processing, 'must have a number' was one.

There is a 'tweak' preference on how series get auto-numbered
BUT... renaming is not pretty.

BUT there is for series renaming:

Use the 'Manage Series Plugin' If you select all the files in the series before starting the PI, it will keep the index value, while allowing the name to be changed for the group. (since both names exist, you can just pick the correct one from the pulldown list)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2012, 09:34 AM   #3
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
0.8.59 also added a new tweak value for "series_index_auto_increment" of "no_change" which I recommend setting to. This means that renaming series will *not* muck up your series indexes, it will leave them as is.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:11 AM   #4
Boekenworm
Boekenworm is on a distinguished road

Device: iPad
Thumbs up Thanks for the help

@theducks and @kiwidude,

Thanks for the extreme fast help!
With tweak setting is series_index_auto_increment = 'next' all the book all get a series_index [1]
With "no_change" the index values remain untouched.

Grtz,
Lezer
Boekenworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:51 PM   #5
Lightsource
Lightsource doesn't litterLightsource doesn't litterLightsource doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3
Thumbs up THANK YOU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
0.8.59 also added a new tweak value for "series_index_auto_increment" of "no_change" which I recommend setting to. This means that renaming series will *not* muck up your series indexes, it will leave them as is.
THANK YOU, that was freaking awesome, and the perfect solution - I too have been frustrated with both bulk renaming (changing the series sets all the indexes to "1") and single metadata editing (downloading metadata resets the series index to increment if the series name doesn't match the original) - this tweak that I was not even aware of fixes both of those issues!
Lightsource is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
bug?, edit metadata, series_index