Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-13-2011, 03:48 PM   #1
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
help mobi to epub conversion: lost all images

Hi, I am sure someone must have an answer to this: I have a mobi file and I converted it to epub in Calibre successfully, all the links (contents and notations) work fine as the original. The only issue is I lost all the illustrations (bitmap images not vectors - I guess - as these are all reproduction of 18th century book illustrations) and the final file size shrank from the original 6.3 mb to 0.48 mb (the size difference would be the images I lost). In the pages where there would be an illustration, it still keeps the original caption of the illustration, but no images at all. In addition, it lost the cover image even though I checked using original cover, it uses one small header image file on the fist page as the new cover which only takes about 1/6th of a page size and looks funny. I can always put a new cover image myself when recompiling, but no matter which setting I played around, the illustrations inside the book got lost. Can some one help with this? Or is this possible with Calibre at all? If it's not possible to keep the original illustrations during conversion, is there any way for me to manually incert the pictures (I can extract or screen capture the orginal illustrations in raster image files if needed) back into where the caption is via Calibre? And how to achieve that? Calibre is a great application and I love it - if only the illustrations can be kept during such conversions. Many thanks!
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:09 PM   #2
Sylver
Addict

Anyone please? I know one option might be to use Sigil to insert images into epub - but I have tons of linked contents and notes that I dont want to be affected in any way in another application that requires extra learning curve. Calibre currently converts all the text including links flawlessly, I just wish this can be achieved inside the same application.
Advert
Old 01-13-2011, 04:10 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's hard to help without access to the mobi file.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 04:29 PM   #4
Sylver
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It's hard to help without access to the mobi file.
Hi, kovidgoyal, I just PMed you about where to get the mobi file I uploaded, could you take a look to see if it's doable in Calibre? Many thanks.
Old 01-13-2011, 04:45 PM   #5
Sylver
Addict

I forgot to mention the ebook reader that came with the Calibre installation failed to render those illustrations in the original mobi file also while the same mobi file opened in Mobipocket Reader desktop shows the illustrations properly. Something must have gone wrong with the way Calibra handles images.
Advert
Old 01-13-2011, 05:16 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This was caused by a regression, will be fixed in the next release.
Old 01-13-2011, 05:59 PM   #7
Sylver
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
This was caused by a regression, will be fixed in the next release.
Thanks, kovidgoyal, but are you suggesting that an earlier version might work for this? if so, I'd love to try.
Old 01-13-2011, 06:49 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

yes, go back a few versions, perhaps 5 and you should be fine.
Old 01-13-2011, 07:46 PM   #9
Sylver
Addict

Thanks - I used 0.7.33 and it does look like the images are in the compiled epub - glad it worked at one time. However, using built-in ebook viewer, or viewd from ibooks on iPad, the illustrations are randomly cut into two parts and displays on two adjacent pages, if I change the font size, the text reflows and sometimes the illustration will fit in one page, but then the next illustration might have same issues and I will need to change the font size again to make the image show on one page. I am not familiar with the epub format, but is there a forced page break that can be implemented so each illustration only stays on one single page regardless the font size? I tried the orginal mobi in kindle on iPad, it seems all illustrations stay at one single page - if you change the font size, the image will shrink or enlarge based on the space left, nevertheless, one single image does not span across two pages. I guess this is more of an issue of the epub reader (or ibook on iPad), but was just wondering if there is a way in calibre to force an image display on a signle page. Thanks, great application.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:20 PM   #10
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

That's a function of the viewer you use. Some viewers insert blank spaces to keep images on a single page, some dont.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:31 PM   #11
Sylver
Addict

Yeah, It is viewer dependant. I tried nook and the images looked fine; on iPad, it looked good on Staza but not on iBook. Anyway, when you get a chance, get that fixed on the next release - thanks, good job on the app.