Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-13-2007, 06:27 PM   #121
bowerbird
Banned
bowerbird has been very, very naughtybowerbird has been very, very naughtybowerbird has been very, very naughty

i forgot to say that it strains a bit of credulity to posit that amazon
is trying to using f.u.d. here to slow down the sony reader, because
(a) amazon doesn't have credibility to begin with regarding hardware,
and (b) sales of the sony reader have been spectacularly lackluster,
so nobody's really afraid that it will soon "lock up the marketplace"...
indeed, as soon as it appeared in reality (as opposed to in the press,
where every coming machine is believed to be the next best thing),
people consigned it to the dust-bin and started looking elsewhere...

and the hype-masters are sure to satisfy that techno-wanderlust, too.

here we are, one week from the end of spring, and david rothman
has come out with a new entry on his teleblawg, pitching the rumor
that the kindle will be released "this fall". some people never learn.
maybe you think i'm talking about rothman? well, maybe i am, or
maybe i'm talking about the fools who believe his rumor-mongering.

-bowerbird
bowerbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:34 PM   #122
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bowerbird View Post
sales of the sony reader have been spectacularly lackluster, so nobody's really afraid that it will soon "lock up the marketplace"... indeed, as soon as it appeared in reality (as opposed to in the press, where every coming machine is believed to be the next best thing),
people consigned it to the dust-bin and started looking elsewhere....
Out of curiosity, what are you basing that statement on?
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2007, 09:50 PM   #123
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I was looking on Fry's website today and they list it as sold out. That's actually good.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 09:53 PM   #124
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Device: Cowon A2 Dell x3i, Sony Reader & Eee PC!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogui View Post
I have a vague memory of Osborne's column (Interface Age?) called the Exclusive Oracle. But that far back, memories tend to run together like asphalt in the sun
Still have some of those mag's... Remember the disk they had with some of the mags...
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 09:54 PM   #125
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I was looking on Fry's website today and they list it as sold out. That's actually good.
They had at least one at the local store... And was going for 299. Need to check to see if it had a red tage on it. AKA that means end of product...
Advert
Old 06-14-2007, 10:09 AM   #126
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Do you mean "End of Sale" or really "End of Product Line".?!!?!!?

Could it be that Fry's will drop the Sony or is there a possible successor in the works?

Ahhh! Gossip... what would we write without it!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:41 AM   #127
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Snarky personal attacks?
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:03 AM   #128
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:37 AM   #129
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just so long as it's not a boojum.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:52 AM   #130
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't know. Does a boojum have more of a sense of humor than a common snark? (Snarks are notoriously humorless, after all.) And some threads (I won't say posters) could do with softly and suddenly vanishing away. Particularly those which have long since expired but are suddenly revived by the insertion of frumious remarks.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:55 AM   #131
NatCh
Gizmologist

I'd say that Boojums are likely less good humored than regular Snarks, but I've never met one, myself, nor do I know anyone who has.

I find it's easier just to shun such manxsome threads, makes life much more frabjous, don't you think?
Old 06-14-2007, 02:11 PM   #132
Nightwing
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Do you mean "End of Sale" or really "End of Product Line".?!!?!!?

Could it be that Fry's will drop the Sony or is there a possible successor in the works?

Usualy red tags mean getting no more of that model in... Selling the last few...
Old 06-14-2007, 02:16 PM   #133
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Oh! That's not good news for Sony... unless there's a newbie somewhere!!?!!
Old 06-14-2007, 02:20 PM   #134
Nightwing
Addict

The only plus Sony had last year was the Reader. batteries and PS3 really took them down hard...

And looks like Wii just went past 8million units... With PS3 under 4...
Old 06-14-2007, 02:34 PM   #135
nekokami
fruminous edugeek

I read this bizarre blog post the other day in which a self-described "hard core gamer" was bemoaning the popularity of the wii because it was encouraging people to buy game consoles and games who never had before, which was further encouraging developers to make games for "casual gamers" and "grandmas" (his words, not mine), rather than the kinds of games he preferred. As if the game market couldn't use a big shakeup so we could see something other than first-person shooters and massively multiplayer killfests for a change....

Do red tags ever mean the item is a refurb? Otherwise, it sounds like Fry's is dropping the PRS. I had thought all the Fry's were in CA, but I just looked at the list and there are some east of the Mississippi, though not many. Does Borders still allegedly carry them?