Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 12-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #46
louwin
Newbie Nerd
louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3 64Gb Black
Any way to change book names in this new version?

I have lots of User Guides/Manuals in my library. There are for media players, TVs, Wi_Drive, GoFlex Satellite, motherboards etc. These haven't been designed for this use and usually don't have nice covers etc. They usually start with a contents page which have tiny fonts which can't be read in the bookshelf.

So I use the list mode to see the titles but then some titles are a meaningless stream of numbers.

So anyway to rename the titles? Or add created front covers to the instruction manuals?

TIA....
louwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:12 PM   #47
jswinden
Nameless Being

Those sound like PDF files. If they are not protected with DRM then there are apps that can be used to edit them. If they are protected with DRM then I think your options will be limited.
Old 12-20-2012, 12:28 AM   #48
louwin
Newbie Nerd
louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, they are NOT DRMed....

Just public domain User Manuals etc

Specific examples of the Apps please.....

I had a quick search a while ago and none came to mind

Again TIA....
Old 12-20-2012, 03:26 AM   #49
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Maybe you can change the title in iTunes in the information window? That's what I do with my videos, don't know if it would work for pdf books.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:44 PM   #50
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by louwin View Post
No, they are NOT DRMed....

Just public domain User Manuals etc

Specific examples of the Apps please.....

I had a quick search a while ago and none came to mind

Again TIA....
My desktop on which I had all such apps crashed and died a few days ago. I haven't used any of those apps in a LONG time so I cannot remember the app names nor look them up on my desktop. Google will probably be a good tool in finding some though. I know how much of a PITA it is to have rubbish for titles when trying to find a specific document.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:58 PM   #51
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just confirmed that you can rename PDF books in iTunes. Select the book and press command-I (probably control-I on Windows), then go to the Info tab. You can change the title and author and other meta-data.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:03 PM   #52
louwin
Newbie Nerd

Thanks FlorenceArt, trying it now
Old 12-20-2012, 08:18 PM   #53
louwin
Newbie Nerd

Due to no fault in your suggestion, I can't try it

I synced my iPad with my Desktop and, in a moment of weakness, I synced it to my laptop one day It didn't seem like a big deal but now iTunes detects this and on both the desktop AND the laptop it wants to wipe the iPad and resync to one computer only and I'm too afraid to allow it so it won't allow me to access my Books

Thanks for the suggestion though
Old 12-21-2012, 01:56 AM   #54
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

You can make a backup of your iPad, then sync it, and if this wipes out your data, restore the backup. But I'll admit it's a bit scary.

One thing that I forgot to mention: my suggestion works for books that were added to iTunes. You don't need to connect your iPad to try it, but of course you need to sync your iPad to update the titles on it after changing them in the iTunes library. I don't use the cloud sync option and I don't know how it works with books you add manually to the iTunes library.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:23 AM   #55
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You can also rename PDFs using Calibre.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 02:49 AM   #56
louwin
Newbie Nerd

Sorry HarryT

I buy a new toy, I go onto Safari to download the Quick Installation Guide and the User Manual/Guide then "Open in iBooks", Calibre doesn't come into the equation

I'm also sorry but my experience with Calibre led me to the conclusion that it isn't very iPad friendly. The procedure to get stuff off Calibre into an iPad is, in the least, convoluted Well that's my impression anyway, rightly or wrongly.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:48 AM   #57
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I agree with you. But you asked for tools which could rename PDFs - I was simply providing you with the name of such a tool. I entire agree with you that Calibre is not "Apple-friendly" (or perhaps it would be truer to say that Apple is not Calibre-friendly), but that doesn't lessen Calibre's excellence as an eBook library manager and conversion tool.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 04:26 PM   #58
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
You can make a backup of your iPad, then sync it, and if this wipes out your data, restore the backup. But I'll admit it's a bit scary.
You can backup and/or transfer iThingie goodies to another computer, but this only includes stuff you purchased from the Apple Store. Nothing you side-loaded via iTunes will get backed up, at least in my experience. Therefore if you try to Sync you will probably lose all of your side-loaded stuff! I haven't tried and tested this, nor will I. But that is what it appears to do. So beware and be cautious! iTunes can turn wicked on you in a heartbeat and if you don't fully read and correctly interpret its popup caution messages you can wipe out a lot of stuff.

I base the above statements on having just installed iTunes on another computer after my primary computer died. I went through the Transfer Purchases from iPod to the new computer option, then did a backup, but only purchased items transferred. If I ever restore from this backup I will lose side-loaded items.

Last edited by jswinden; 12-21-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:38 PM   #59
FlorenceArt
High Priestess

When I bought my iPad 3 I restored the backup of the iPad 2. As far as I am aware I did not lose any data, side loaded or otherwise. I'm pretty sure an iTunes backup, and I mean a backup you make via iTunes with the iThingie connected via USB, is a full backup. In fact, again AFAIK, it's the only way to back up all the data on your iThingie. That's why I haven't activated cloud backup, although you can still make a manual iTunes backup after activating the cloud backup.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:01 PM   #60
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
When I bought my iPad 3 I restored the backup of the iPad 2. As far as I am aware I did not lose any data, side loaded or otherwise. I'm pretty sure an iTunes backup, and I mean a backup you make via iTunes with the iThingie connected via USB, is a full backup. In fact, again AFAIK, it's the only way to back up all the data on your iThingie. That's why I haven't activated cloud backup, although you can still make a manual iTunes backup after activating the cloud backup.
Well I just did this and it was not a FULL backup. Seems like it should be, but afterwards when I went into Movies in iTunes I didn't see my side-loaded videos, and the same goes for books, music, etc. I might have done something wrong, but I don't think so. The side loaded items are still on my iPod, they just didn't get backed up.

Last edited by jswinden; 12-21-2012 at 05:04 PM.