Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 09-20-2011, 01:15 PM   #1
extendentis
extendentis began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Normalizing author format

I am new to eBooks and calibre. I have a large calibre database imported from multiple sources. As a result, the author format is inconsistent. I would like to write some software, (preferably a Python or C plugin) that would normalize the author field for whole database. Is it possible to normalize fields without direct use of SQL, and if so what is the best way to go about it? There doesn't appear to be any way to import metadata into calibre except through a conversion.
extendentis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:46 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by extendentis View Post
I am new to eBooks and calibre. I have a large calibre database imported from multiple sources. As a result, the author format is inconsistent. I would like to write some software, (preferably a Python or C plugin) that would normalize the author field for whole database. Is it possible to normalize fields without direct use of SQL, and if so what is the best way to go about it? There doesn't appear to be any way to import metadata into calibre except through a conversion.
I am not sure this is a Development topic. I will leave that to the Developer Mods.

Data Import can be done via the CLI which is documented near the end of the Help File.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2011, 03:28 PM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
You can probably do what you want with metadata search/replace.

If not, then you can:
- write python scripts that are run by calibre (calibre-debug -e script.py).
- write user interface plugins
- write metadata plugins.

See http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/creating_plugins.html and
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/develop.html for information on writing python code that integrates with calibre.

@theducks: I agree that this is a borderline development thread. Lets see where it goes.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote