Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-16-2009, 05:42 PM   #1
bentley
bentley began at the beginning.

Device: none
Taking Reader to the Beach?

I am going to Mexico in a few weeks and plan to use my reader on the beach and around the pool each day.

While I don't plan to leave it lying around in direct sunlight, it will be in my beach bag while I am swimming etc. and therefore will be exposed to heat and humidity.

Will this be ok?
bentley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:06 PM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Many members prefer to keep their device in a sealed clear polythene ziplock bag. This protects against the intrusion of sand, water spills etc.
It would also be prudent to kep the device in a hard case when not in use, so as to minimise the chances of accidentally fracturing the glass screen substrate.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-16-2009, 08:05 PM   #3
Renaldo
Addict
Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Renaldo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Bentley, report back how the 505 fared outside. There's a thread around here somewhere with people saying their 505 screen temporarily faded to low contrast when exposed to direct sunlight for too long. I'm just curious if you get the same thing.
Renaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:10 PM   #4
palex481
Connoisseur
palex481 is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-505
I used my 505 on the beach perfectly. I didn't need a plastic bag because I didn't swim with it or anything like that. It worked great. Had no issues at all.
palex481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:58 PM   #5
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

I have done it last summer, all 4 months with my Cybook = zero problems, no special bags or care besides the normal “let it inside it’s pouch” and not in direct sun when I was to swim and do other stuff.

Best way to read in the summer!

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2009, 12:30 AM   #6
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
No problems at all with my 505 outside. I actually find it much easier to read on than reading a pBook or magazine.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:13 AM   #7
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaldo View Post
Bentley, report back how the 505 fared outside. There's a thread around here somewhere with people saying their 505 screen temporarily faded to low contrast when exposed to direct sunlight for too long. I'm just curious if you get the same thing.
I read mine at the beach all the time and have noticed that the screen does fade a bit for a few pages if the sun is beating down on it. After a few pages it comes good even if the sun is still directly on it.Quite strange. It doesn't seem to hurt it though.
I'd be careful that someone doesn't steal it while you're swimming though
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 03:24 AM   #8
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
I haven't read on the beach yet, but I have read it outdoors on a park bench. One great thing that I noticed; no flapping pages, no cramps in your fingers like what you get, when trying to hold a thick paperback open in a breeze. I have sensitive eyes, so small movements of the page and bright sunlight gives me a headache in no time! So - a huge bonus, (for me in particular) NO headache from reading outdoors as I found reading on my Sony with my sunglasses on, to be no problem.
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 06:42 AM   #9
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
I've read it at the beach, at the park, in humidity (I live in Miami f'godsake) and in full sun light. No problem, no plastic baggie, no permanent effect. In fact, a much better outdoor experience since on a bright day the contrast on the reader really pops and no wind issue with the pages.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:11 AM   #10
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
My PRS-500 and 505 have survived Mexico and Cuba beaches without any special precautions.
Unless you intend to drop it on sand, you don't need any special bags.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:39 PM   #11
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I took my 505 along to Barbados and Tortola back in January and read on the beaches without a problem. I use an MEdge Leisure cover which, although it's not waterproof, is water resistant and seems ideally suited for the beach or on a boat.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote