Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-28-2013, 03:56 PM   #1
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Firmware 2.10.0 Released

I synced my Kobo Glo this afternoon and it downloaded & updated to F/W 2.10.0 (6180f632e1, 10/21/13). If the release is staggered, as is typical, this may not show up for many for a bit as my device tends to be on the early side of the rollout.

Release notes mention Pocket integration, beyond the book and automatic syncing.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
tried just now to sync : no update came, so it seems it's not yet released in France I can't wait...
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2013, 04:34 PM   #3
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Desktop 3.4.0 has been released.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:57 PM   #4
vice-versa
whippet addict
vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vice-versa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Sage
this one I got one the other hand. Perhaps if I synced via the desktop... don't you think ?
vice-versa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 05:50 PM   #5
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's worth noting that it seems pretty much the same as the Aura 2.9.0 firmware, although I haven't had much time to play with it yet. For those unfamiliar, this release also:

- Brings the "Back" button back to the bottom toolbar
- Removes the display of stats from side-loaded kepubs. The stats still seem to be calculated as side-loaded kepubs still show a time remaining on the home screen.
- Fixes problems with some side-loaded fonts that would create page breaks at inappropriate line breaks.
- Adds a new game, "Unblock It" which is horrible of them because I have to finish games like this.
- Folds the link for the table of contents into a new page/chapter scrubber. I don't mind it, but it would be nice if it simply listed the current and total chapters somewhere in the scrubber pop-up.

There's actually lots of little changes (way more than mentioned here) and if you're upgrading from 2.6.1 it's practically a new device. Once I have more time I'll go digging deeper. I was using 2.9.0 on my Glo for a while and I felt it was a very solid firmware; I've been very happy with things and I assume this will continue with 2.10.0.
Advert
Old 10-28-2013, 06:43 PM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Firmware 2.10.0 and calibre

The new firmware has been thoroughly tested with calibre. I will checkin the version number bump this week. In the meantime, use the "Attempt to support newer firmware version" option in the driver configuration.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #7
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E, Glo HD
Will this also work with the Touch (or is it now out of range on updates)?
volpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 08:34 PM   #8
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by volpo View Post
Will this also work with the Touch (or is it now out of range on updates)?
Has anyone tried this with the Aura HD?

regards

JAck
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 09:41 PM   #9
Thane1
Connoisseur
Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.Thane1 knows how to set a laser printer to stun.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloseven View Post
- Removes the display of stats from side-loaded kepubs. The stats still seem to be calculated as side-loaded kepubs still show a time remaining on the home screen.
I got to wonder if they purposefully broke this since the guys over in the development forum figured out how to Kobo-ize EPUBs to better showcase the merits of buying actual kEPUBs, or if the breakdown is due to something unrelated and wasn’t a targeted change?

Thanks for the early breakdown of changes in this new firmware.
Thane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:37 PM   #10
bbrady42
bbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura aboutbbrady42 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo
If they take away the "time remaining in chapter" from side loaded kepubs I won't be updating to it. I wonder how it can tell the difference?
bbrady42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:40 PM   #11
mr_nihilism
Always been the caretaker
mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr_nihilism ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, PW2
Naturally enough both my Aura HD and Glo have not received the update yet.
mr_nihilism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 10:48 PM   #12
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thane1 View Post
I got to wonder if they purposefully broke this since the guys over in the development forum figured out how to Kobo-ize EPUBs to better showcase the merits of buying actual kEPUBs, or if the breakdown is due to something unrelated and wasn’t a targeted change?

Thanks for the early breakdown of changes in this new firmware.
From what I understood from the bits and pieces mentioned by beta testers on here, it seemed like [some of] the stats weren't reliably accurate so they decided to remove the display of them.

I really enjoyed the stats, but I haven't really missed them that much. The thing I miss the most is the bar graph of chapter lengths since it conveyed a lot of relevant information (chapter progress, relative chapter lengths, total book progress). It seems like something like that should be fairly reliable, so if anyone from Kobo sees this, I'd love for that to make a return, possibly for all books.

Other than that, though, I'm really very happy with the F/W. It's been rock solid for me and the Pocket integration has been done very well.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:56 PM   #13
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I think you will find this is a very limited rollout right now. Give it time.

From some experimentation I do understand how the decision to view stats is made; unfortunately, there is a real challenge in how this could be implemented. I have shared details of it with both davidfor and jgugeon, and will wait to see if they reckon it's doable.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:31 AM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Here is an incomplete list of changes since 2.9.0. It probably includes a couple that were in 2.9.0. It comes from my notes while beta testing the firmware.

Changes:
- Line heights have been changed. They are now: 1, 1.05, 1.07, 1.1, 1.2, 1.4, 1.5, 1.7, 1.8, 2, 2.2, 2.4, 2.6, 2.8, 3.
- Sync can be setup to happen once a day
- Icons have changed on the dictionary bar.
- If an epub is the current book and has annotations, the tile no longer displays the number of annotations.
- Wikipedia and Google options added to in book search menu
- Browser has a Pocket button.
- Back button in reading to exit to wherever you opened the book from
- In book menu options has been reduced. "Sync my Book Activity", "Add to collection", "Post to wall" and "Mark as finished" have been removed.
- "Extras" renamed to "Beta features"
- If you open a link in a book, you are prompted to whether to open in the browser or add to Pocket.
- Navigation bar has changed. Now has TOC button (probably in 2.9.0).

Fixed bugs:
- After a search in an ePub, the bottom of the text area is no longer blank.
- Sorting the Shelf list by size works properly.

Two bugs have changed:
- The problem when opening a kepub and a blank screen is displayed seems to be happening less often.
- Long paragraph bug has changed. The test book I used stopped showing the problem. But I found another book that had problems, but with much longer paragraphs. I think it gets triggered when the paragraph is more than two screens long.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 03:52 AM   #15
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
David, presume the list above is for the lighted devices, right, or do you know wehther the Touch and Mini will also get it?
paola is offline   Reply With Quote