Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-30-2012, 08:14 AM   #1
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Keeping Track of To Be Read Books

I must admit that I have been lax in keeping track of what books that I have but have yet to read. As a consequence many of those electronic books go for a long time without being read at all and frequently I have yet to get through some of them at all. I am thinking about a method to keep track of those books that I have on my electronic book shelf but have yet to read - if you keep track of those books that you have yet to read how do you accomplish this? Perhaps a spread sheet or perhaps a database.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:42 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I accomplish this by not buying books I'm not ready to immediately begin reading.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2012, 08:52 AM   #3
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I started a Google Docs spreadsheet for this purpose a few weeks ago. It's still quite unwieldy, but hopefully it can at least stop me buying things I already have.

I'm intending for my 2013 challenge to be based on reducing the TBR, so as long as I have it all set up by the end of the year I'm fine.

The full list is 892 entries, which is overcounting by 41 because of the weird way I handle Omnibuses, so 851 actual works.

My filtered list - removing the things (mainly random freebies) I don't really care about - is still 523 entries. I'm thinking of doing another pass and only including things I definitely want to read quite soon (favourite authors, next in series, etc.) It's really hard to decide sometimes, though.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:55 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I must admit that I have been lax in keeping track of what books that I have but have yet to read. As a consequence many of those electronic books go for a long time without being read at all and frequently I have yet to get through some of them at all. I am thinking about a method to keep track of those books that I have on my electronic book shelf but have yet to read - if you keep track of those books that you have yet to read how do you accomplish this? Perhaps a spread sheet or perhaps a database.
Goodreads is a great way to keep track of your to-be-read books.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:47 AM   #5
Turnstone
Zealot
Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turnstone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Currently I have a shelf on my Kobo and one in Calibre for my TBR list. One for finished books, one for books I am currently reading (there might be more than one) and one for future reading.
Turnstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2012, 09:47 AM   #6
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
I dont' load my Kindle with a ton of "to be read" books but I do load some.

When a new books shows up in the list, it has a little "new" next to it. So i just leave it there until its time to read the book.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:16 PM   #7
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
I mostly read series so use fictfact.com for following tbr it tells me where i am in a series as well as when a new book is coming out in a series.
Apart from that I also use a custom column in calibre to mark books read. Calibre can also be used for storing dead tree book data with empty book entries so no need to keep separate tbr database
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:37 PM   #8
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
I'm old fashioned. I have a sheet of A4, folded in two, which I keep in the pocket of the cover of my Kindle.

On one side, I write the names of the books which are on my Kindle, waiting to be read, including some brief notes, such as the year they were written. On the other side, I have the names of the samples that are on my Kindle, including a note of the price and the site I downloaded it from.

Not exactly a high-tech solution, but it work well for me.

Mike
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:43 PM   #9
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I have a Google Doc sheet that I use to track my reading progress and I use the same sheet to keep track of my TBR pile, mostly the freebies that I grab when available but have no intention of reading immediately. Google Docs has some flaws but it is accessible from anywhere I have a data connection and lets me do some fun things.

I set up some scripts (macros) to sort it for me in a few different ways and it's linked so that when I start a new book I can select it from the TBR list and it brings most of the information over to my current list for me to speed up new book entry.

My 2012 goal post shows the progress charts that my spreadsheet can make.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:53 PM   #10
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
LibraryThing, with a to-read ID in my database. Tends to be a way to remind me to write a review when I'm done reading it as well.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:06 PM   #11
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
My to-be-read books are already in my reader, patiently waiting their turn to be read at a later time of my choosing
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'll say this again, GoodReads is a great place to keep track of your TBR list.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:01 AM   #13
ametzler
Zealot
ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ametzler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite II
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
I have got a TBR collection on the kindle for books I bought but have not read yet.

Stuff I intend to buy simply ends up in my Amazon shopping basket. - I am using paperback editions as proxy since Amazon forces 1-click-purchase for e-books.
ametzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:10 AM   #14
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
All books on my ereaders are "To Be Read". When I finish a book, I put in in a collection entitled "Already Read". When I have a few in that collection, I come over here and add it to my "100 in 2012" list and then delete it off the ereader.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:07 AM   #15
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Good point diap. I put together an excel spreadsheet to do this however I do think that Google Docs Spreadsheet is probably a better place for this data since it is on a web site and I can read it anywhere I am.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote