Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-27-2009, 12:44 PM   #46
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
No sunshine at the moment in Los Angeles, but this shot is outdoors with natural light. Hand held, both camera and ebooks. The first shot was under a fluorescent light bulb.
[..]
Now you owe me your opinion.
Thank you for the picture. Actually the JetBooks display is better readable than i had expected. I'm using an E-INK reader because i'm sittting in front of LCD's the whole day and got headcache whenever i've read in the evening (or night) using a LCD (Palm). Another reason was the better readability in the sunshine. I haven't tried the JetBook until now...
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:52 PM   #47
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I have never seen a Jetbook in person, but from the pictures I have seen and my experience with both non-backlit LCDs and E-Ink I am willing to stipulate that the display quality is at least comparable to E-Ink.

Until recently three things really stopped me from recommending the Jetbook, format support, price, and the LCD display. The format support has been more than remedied in the recent firmware update, and the current availability at $179-199 is a good sign, but I'm still not sure about LCD because of battery life. If they dropped the MSRP to $199 I would be more interested, but I do have to say that it has matured greatly since it was first introduced and is becoming much more of a contender.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2009, 05:16 PM   #48
galavanter
Zealot
galavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-books

Device: jetBook, iPod Touch, Kindle 3
Here's your sunshine shots netseeker. The first with the sun on the Kindle, yes that is THE Sun. Second shot shows the sun on the jetBook, and the third I have angled them so the sun is just off both their screens.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2820.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	740.5 KB
ID:	28195   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2821.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	724.4 KB
ID:	28196   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2822.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	780.8 KB
ID:	28197  
galavanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:49 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Just buy used. I got a Kindle 1 in great condition off of Craigslist in March for $200.
Personally, I would not buy a reader that did not support ePub.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 01:49 AM   #50
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
Here's your sunshine shots netseeker. The first with the sun on the Kindle, yes that is THE Sun. Second shot shows the sun on the jetBook, and the third I have angled them so the sun is just off both their screens.
Thank you once again. I'm really a little bit surprised at the quality of the jetbooks LCD.
Advert
Old 05-02-2009, 06:05 AM   #51
netseeker
sleepless reader

With the new BeBook Mini we finally might get a $200 device: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45811.
Would one buy it for <=$200?
Old 05-02-2009, 08:32 AM   #52
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Given that we've reached the Moon, 'great heights' simply MUST include distances of 240,000 miles. If we plug in values for a large MMPB (say Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged") and sufficient energy to get beyond the Moon's gravitational pull and into Earth's, we find that it will probably enter Earth's atmosphere between 5,500 and 7,000 MPH (I may be a 'bit' off as I tend to estimate for lower values). Clearly, at that velocity, your typical MMPB will NOT survive the fall.

Derek
It won't even fall, burning out when it enters Earth's atmosphere.

About the topic, if taking out MP3 player, wi-fi, touch screen, etc would make it (ereader) less expensive, I would prefer it. Although I wouldn't want any size inferior to 6in.

I carry my Cybook everywhere. It has the leather M-Edge cover, excellent quality. I guess buying two ereaders just to have one backup would be a little bit exagerated. I'm careful with my ereader (I don't throw around the bag where I carry it nor let it be under the sun too long), but that's it. Things are to be used. If portability is one of the strong points of having an ereader, I will do that. (I didn't carry books with me before I got my Cybook, so it's no surprise that now I read more than before).
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 07:08 PM   #53
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
i'm not careful with my backpack - not at all. i throw it, i put heavy things on top of it - really heavy. my friends aren't particularly careful around it, either. i cram it between things. i carry random shaped things inside it, some with hard edges. i don't want to change my lifestyle just to keep from breaking my cybook. a second, reasonably priced reader would solve my worries.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 02:27 PM   #54
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
i'm not careful with my backpack - not at all. i throw it, i put heavy things on top of it - really heavy. my friends aren't particularly careful around it, either. i cram it between things. i carry random shaped things inside it, some with hard edges. i don't want to change my lifestyle just to keep from breaking my cybook. a second, reasonably priced reader would solve my worries.
Come on, being just careful enough to not put really heavy weights on top of it or sitting on it is hardly changing your life style.

Although I know the importance that women give to purses, backpacks and such... :P
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:22 PM   #55
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Personally, I would not buy a reader that did not support ePub.
It does support epub through conversion which is in the Epub spec.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 06:31 PM   #56
netseeker
sleepless reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybaby View Post
It does support epub through conversion which is in the Epub spec.
Where? I've read all three specifications and did not found any explicit hint for conversation providers.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:59 PM   #57
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by netseeker View Post
Where? I've read all three specifications and did not found any explicit hint for conversation providers.
See New IDPF format: Which software companies are aboard—and how .epub will help publishers:
Quote:
In implementing .epub, software companies handle files in one of two ways:

1. The software imports .epub and converts it to an end-user proprietary format. There are a bunch of reasons why a company might do this, the main one being that it wants its format to do things that aren’t covered or possible in .epub.

2. The software simply reads (or renders) .epub files that a user can use, similar to how your iPod “reads” MP3 files.
I'm not actually sure anyone is doing #1, but that was the original intent. Calibre is trying hard with ePub to MOBI, but it fails because MOBI does not have some needed capabilities (ePub to LIT via Calibre might be even closer). It would be possible for Amazon/MobiPocket to extend MOBI to support ePub via method #1, but they no longer seem interested in doing so.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 07:16 PM   #58
netseeker
sleepless reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
See New IDPF format: Which software companies are aboard—and how .epub will help publishers: [..]
It would be possible for Amazon/MobiPocket to extend MOBI to support ePub via method #1, but they no longer seem interested in doing so.
You are right, wallcraft and i already know those statements. But there is a difference between "software companies can handle epub via conversations" and "It does support epub through conversion which is in the Epub spec.".

My point is: The specification(s) itself doesn't mention the topic "conversion" and it's just wrong to say anything else.

Last edited by netseeker; 05-06-2009 at 01:48 AM.