Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-26-2009, 05:07 AM   #31
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Hi basschick,

What makes you wary of carrying your CyBook? Like the other posters, I carry mine around with me everywhere (in its case); have been doing so for about 18 months now, and have had no problems whatsoever.

It's really not that fragile .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 07:47 AM   #32
Mrgauth
Addict
Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3
Paperbacks can be dropped from incredible heights and are still readable. I'm just saying. : )

But on topic, yes, I agree. Give me a sub $200 reader and I'm in. The $350-450 we have to pay now is too friggin high.

I would suspect most of us struggled with the decision to get one, well enough 2 readers just to have a back up. So, I don't see that as a viable option for most.

While I don't have a reader, I would not hesitate to take it with me everywhere. I can appreciate the OP's concern though. The price of these things and the thought of it breaking and being readerless is THE very two things that keep me from buying one in the first place.

Last edited by Mrgauth; 04-26-2009 at 07:52 AM.
Mrgauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2009, 09:02 AM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgauth View Post
But on topic, yes, I agree. Give me a sub $200 reader and I'm in. The $350-450 we have to pay now is too friggin high.
That's very much a matter of personal perspective. I use my reader a heck of a lot more than I do my TV, and yet I paid a lot more than $450 for my TV. For me personally, the CyBook was an absolute bargain.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 12:10 PM   #34
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Paperbacks can be dropped from incredible heights and are still readable. I'm just saying. : )

I would suspect most of us struggled with the decision to get one, well enough 2 readers just to have a back up. So, I don't see that as a viable option for most.

While I don't have a reader, I would not hesitate to take it with me everywhere. I can appreciate the OP's concern though. The price of these things and the thought of it breaking and being readerless is THE very two things that keep me from buying one in the first place.

Given that we've reached the Moon, 'great heights' simply MUST include distances of 240,000 miles. If we plug in values for a large MMPB (say Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged") and sufficient energy to get beyond the Moon's gravitational pull and into Earth's, we find that it will probably enter Earth's atmosphere between 5,500 and 7,000 MPH (I may be a 'bit' off as I tend to estimate for lower values). Clearly, at that velocity, your typical MMPB will NOT survive the fall.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 02:04 PM   #35
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Just buy used. I got a Kindle 1 in great condition off of Craigslist in March for $200.

The $350-400 is too much for me as well as I just don't read enough to justify it. But for $200 I could as now I read a bit more as I don't have to buy books I'll read once and have cluttering up the place (or hassling with selling etc.) or hassling with the library.

I can see the prices being worth it for the avid readers who read several hours a day. But I work long hours and have many hobbies I put far ahead of reading--exercise, TV, movies,video games, hiking and other outdoors stuff, social outings, good beer, good food etc. etc. So I basically just read for an hour or so at night before going to sleep a few nights a week and that's about it.

Last edited by dmaul1114; 04-26-2009 at 04:00 PM.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2009, 03:55 PM   #36
Mrgauth
Addict
Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Mrgauth has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
Given that we've reached the Moon, 'great heights' simply MUST include distances of 240,000 miles. If we plug in values for a large MMPB (say Ayn Rand's "Atlas Shrugged") and sufficient energy to get beyond the Moon's gravitational pull and into Earth's, we find that it will probably enter Earth's atmosphere between 5,500 and 7,000 MPH (I may be a 'bit' off as I tend to estimate for lower values). Clearly, at that velocity, your typical MMPB will NOT survive the fall.

Derek

Good one.
Mrgauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 05:53 PM   #37
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Good one.

Just think about when they start building all those orbital power satellites that Obama and the state of California want. All those bored yet dedicated work crews, each and every one wanting fresh books to read. Why, I imagine we'll be pelted by tons of de-orbiting MMPBs around the clock!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:51 AM   #38
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I wish there was a $200 E-Ink reader as well. It would lower the barrier to entry and that's a huge benefit. No matter the benefits of the K2, it's unavailable to anyone who cannot put $359 together in a lump sum.

There are also mental barriers associated with price points too - Many people think $300+ is just too expensive for a Reader - $200 would bring the price to a level more people would be willing to pay.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 06:58 AM   #39
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
I dropped my PDA from the wash basin table-thingy in our bathroom... I'm just saying And it wasn't even in its protective cover!

I'd say, you can lug anything with you, as long as you have a cover on it. And don't sit on it...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:22 AM   #40
galavanter
Zealot
galavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-books

Device: jetBook, iPod Touch, Kindle 3
Imho this shot accurately depicts e-ink vs the lcd of the jetBook. The jetBook gives up nothing to e-ink as far as readability (or eyestrain) is concerned. The text is much blacker and sharper to my eye. Those flashing page turns I pretended not to care about are history too.

The paperback size is what got me looking at the jetBook in the first place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2799.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	856.0 KB
ID:	28109  

Last edited by galavanter; 04-27-2009 at 09:24 AM.
galavanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 11:44 AM   #41
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by galavanter View Post
Imho this shot accurately depicts e-ink vs the lcd of the jetBook. The jetBook gives up nothing to e-ink as far as readability (or eyestrain) is concerned.
Please take the same picture in the sunshine or under another source of light...
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:00 PM   #42
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
PRS-505 prices are almost there. I carry mine everywhere with its original cover. It has gone back to Sony for a power switch repair, nothing caused by handling. Otherwise it has proven quite durable.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:20 PM   #43
galavanter
Zealot
galavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-booksgalavanter has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by netseeker View Post
Please take the same picture in the sunshine or under another source of light...
No sunshine at the moment in Los Angeles, but this shot is outdoors with natural light. Hand held, both camera and readers. The first shot was under a fluorescent light bulb.

Sorry different book and maybe different font size. I have been messing around. I made a strange discovery that strikes me as odd. I would have thought I could get the same page back, meaning first word and last word on the page would be the same, after turning some pages and changing the font size back and forth. But on the Kindle, I cannot get the same page back as in the first shot, no matter what font size I use. Oh well.

Now you owe me your opinion.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG2806.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	672.1 KB
ID:	28116  

Last edited by galavanter; 04-27-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 12:25 PM   #44
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
They look almost identical to me. The JetBook may have slightly darker text on a slightly darker background.

The Kindle issue is an artifact of reflowable text; sometimes when you go back a page the formatting at the start of a paragraph two pages earlier is lost, so it won't be the same as coming at it from the other direction.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 12:39 PM   #45
galavanter
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
They look almost identical to me. The JetBook may have slightly darker text on a slightly darker background.

The Kindle issue is an artifact of reflowable text; sometimes when you go back a page the formatting at the start of a paragraph two pages earlier is lost, so it won't be the same as coming at it from the other direction.
Thanks for that explanation. Yeah the first day I got the Kindle I spent hours outside reading. It was great, and I think the Kindle reads best in bright light. But indoors, and of course this is subjective using my eyes, I found that it was wanting, or maybe the lighting in my apartment is.

The jetBook is on par outdoors, although the gray background of the Kindle is preferable to me. But indoors, where I do most of my reading, I prefer the jetBook. I find it crisper and easier to read in lower light levels. Also, the size just appeals to my paperback mentality. I had told myself the flash refresh didn't matter, but I sure don't miss it.