Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-25-2009, 11:02 AM   #16
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
In the case of the Kindle that wait would be about 24-36 hours since Amazon ships replacements overnight (they don't do repairs just replacements).
To be fair, I didn't want to mention that since I don't know of anyone yet who has had their Kindle replaced under the extended warranty, and so I cannot say for certain the Service.Net will ship you the replacement before you send in the broken one. I imagine they do, since this is how Amazon does it for their warranty, but it's not something I could swear to at this time.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 11:05 AM   #17
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
To be fair, I didn't want to mention that since I don't know of anyone yet who has had their Kindle replaced under the extended warranty, and so I cannot say for certain the Service.Net will ship you the replacement before you send in the broken one. I imagine they do, since this is how Amazon does it for their warranty, but it's not something I could swear to at this time.
Understood but I wasn't referring to Service.Net. I was referring to the standard Kindle warranty.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2009, 11:45 AM   #18
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Understood but I wasn't referring to Service.Net. I was referring to the standard Kindle warranty.
Yes, but the standard Kindle warranty doesn't cover accidental breakage, which is the comparison scenario we're discussing and basschick's primary concern.
Old 04-25-2009, 11:46 AM   #19
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, but the standard Kindle warranty doesn't cover accidental breakage, which is the comparison scenario we're discussing and basschick's primary concern.
They will still send a replacement overnight even if you have to pay the $180.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:41 PM   #20
sirbruce
Provocateur

Quote:
They will still send a replacement overnight even if you have to pay the $180.
Yes but that still doesn't mean they will under Service.Net's agreement. Still, I suspect you're right, like I said before.
Advert
Old 04-25-2009, 01:44 PM   #21
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
i realized there was no really protective case for it and it was fragile - and i decided to leave it at home. after all, if it breaks, i won't be able to read the ebooks inside it till it returned.
making a good sturdy case is not that difficult.
I carry my reader in a homemade case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
so what about you? if there were a reader for say $175 to $200, would you buy it and what features could you live without?
for $175 it does not have ANYTHING except for
- e-ink screen, at least 5" big
- battery lasting some 5000 pageturns or 2 weeks
- ability to display plain text file (using a font that *I* select)
That is it.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 02:35 PM   #22
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Yes but that still doesn't mean they will under Service.Net's agreement. Still, I suspect you're right, like I said before.
But I'm still not talking about Service.Net... you are. I am very curious to know how they will handle it tough.
Old 04-25-2009, 03:54 PM   #23
sirbruce
Provocateur

Quote:
But I'm still not talking about Service.Net... you are. I am very curious to know how they will handle it tough.
Why would you interject into the conversation what Amazon does when we were talking about what Service.Net would do, unless it's to suggest that maybe Service.Net would do the same? If that's the reason, we understand each-other and there is no "But..." and if it's not, I don't see why you brought it up unless you were wrong about the nature of the discussion (in which case my correction earlier was valid).
Old 04-25-2009, 04:12 PM   #24
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Why would you interject into the conversation what Amazon does when we were talking about what Service.Net would do, unless it's to suggest that maybe Service.Net would do the same? If that's the reason, we understand each-other and there is no "But..." and if it's not, I don't see why you brought it up unless you were wrong about the nature of the discussion (in which case my correction earlier was valid).
I quoted BassChick's comment about being readerless until a reader is returned. I responded with my comment about in the case of Amazon one would have a new (or replacement) Kindle from Amazon in 24-36 hours. That's all. I am allowed to interject (or make comments) am I not?
Old 04-25-2009, 04:25 PM   #25
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Wasn't the topic "i wish there were an eink reader for under $200"?
How long it takes to get a replacement for a broken Kindle2 seems to be off-topic. Does the Kindle2 costs under $200? Is it available outside of the US? The Kindle2 (as well as all other devices costing over $200) don't seem to be relevant for the given topic.

A hypothetical manufacturer of a hypothetical $200-device could offer a extended warranty too...
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 04:31 PM   #26
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Studier device even if costs more

Just like OP, I keep my PRS 505 on a bookstand on my desk. Many people seem to carry theirs without much problem, but I would rather not risk loss of money and time in case it breaks.

It would be great to have sub 200$ reader in the market but I would prefer a sturdier (e.g. Plastic Logic) device even if it costs more than the current crop of reading devices. I am pretty sure that I am less likely to carry fragile device regardless of the cost.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 04:40 PM   #27
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

This my friend is one of the many ways a topic on MobileRead can wander off topic. When one is responding to a specific point or comment within the tread. That is what I did and now I'll leave the thread so that it can go back to the topic at hand.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:51 PM   #28
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
This my friend is one of the many ways a topic on MobileRead can wander off topic. When one is responding to a specific point or comment within the tread. That is what I did and now I'll leave the thread so that it can go back to the topic at hand.
I guess you've got me wrong: It wasn't my intention that you should leave the thread. Thats why i addressed my post to nobody in particular. It's ok when a topic wanders off topic for some posts but it shouldn't result in thread-hichecking.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2009, 05:36 PM   #29
sirbruce
Provocateur

Quote:
I quoted BassChick's comment about being readerless until a reader is returned. I responded with my comment about in the case of Amazon one would have a new (or replacement) Kindle from Amazon in 24-36 hours. That's all. I am allowed to interject (or make comments) am I not?
BassChick's comment about being readerless until a reader is returned is *predicated* on my statement that one can have a more expensive Kindle with the Service.Net agreement and that this was equivalent to having two cheap $200 ereaders. Without Service.Net in that case, the Amazon one would *not* have a new or replacement Kindle in 24-36 hours unless you were paying close to $600, not $400. With Service.Net in that case (my proposal), we don't know if that's true or not.

You can interject, but it helps to understand the context, which clearly you did not despite multiple attempts by me to explain it.

I'm not trying to make this personal; I like you and mean no offense. But I corrected you quite helpfully and innocuously and I keep getting pushback from you that I was wrong to do so because you were really (mistakenly) talking about something else. If I'm wrong I'll quite happily drop the matter.

Last edited by sirbruce; 04-25-2009 at 05:38 PM.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:01 AM   #30
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
but originally my thing is i'd rather just have an eink reader for $200 or less. seems like from time to time we hear a rumor or are told there will be one, but there never really is. it's disappointing to me since i don't want an mp3 player or virtually anything except a 5 (or maybe 6) inch eink screen i can read. like the 5 inch mentor was originally going to be.
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote