Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: What is easier on the eyes while reading?
eInk is easier on the eyes 91 74.59%
LCD is easier on the eyes 4 3.28%
They're the same 15 12.30%
Still too many variables 12 9.84%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-26-2010, 12:13 PM   #1
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
What is easier on your eyes while reading.

For the sake of keeping everything apples to apples, here are the assumptions.
  • High quality LCD, at least 6" diagonal, like iPad, vs.
  • High quality eInk, 6" diagonal, like Kindle 2.
  • Reading fiction
  • For an average of 2 hours at a time.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:03 PM   #2
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Poll needs a "Why are we beating this dead horse again?" option.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2010, 02:12 PM   #3
hgwlackey
Zealot
hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle Touch, HTC Thunderbolt
I want to add that the selection I ticked in the poll - "LCD is easier on the eyes" - should really read "LCD is easier on MY eyes." I don't doubt that eInk is easier on some people's eyes--it's just not easier on MY eyes.
hgwlackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:21 PM   #4
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgwlackey View Post
I want to add that the selection I ticked in the poll - "LCD is easier on the eyes" - should really read "LCD is easier on MY eyes." I don't doubt that eInk is easier on some people's eyes--it's just not easier on MY eyes.
This poll should make a distinction between back-lit LCD's like the iPad and others have, and the reflective LCD's that are used by the Jetbook. I know when I did a lot of reading on the iPod Touch, I noticed some eye strain, but never have on the Jetbook (Though that could also be due to other factors... for example, I suspect I picked smaller font on the iPod Touch to compensate for the small screen).

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 02:29 PM   #5
hgwlackey
Zealot
hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.hgwlackey knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle Touch, HTC Thunderbolt
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
for example, I suspect I picked smaller font on the iPod Touch to compensate for the small screen).
And then there's new retina display on the iPhone 4's, the clarity of which is amazing. I can read web pages without zooming in that I would have had to zoom in for on the iPhone 3G.
hgwlackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2010, 05:01 PM   #6
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
There should be a distinction between backlit and non-backlit LCD.

And for me, I read with a backlit LCD PDA or phone for 7 years, and I still do on-the-go, but I now prefer reading on E-Ink at night.

A backlit LCD makes it easy to read at night, but my eyes start to water after about an hour.

But I can read an E-Ink device (with clip light) for 4 hours.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:26 PM   #7
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyZ View Post
For the sake of keeping everything apples to apples, here are the assumptions.
  • High quality LCD, at least 6" diagonal, like iPad, vs.
  • High quality eInk, 6" diagonal, like Kindle 2.
  • Reading fiction
  • For an average of 2 hours at a time.
And how many people responding to the poll have actually read for at two hours at a time on both of these types of devices? Rather than just picking what they think the right answer is?
murraypaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 05:35 PM   #8
Talldog
Addict
Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Talldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, KDX Graphite, Surface Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Poll needs a "Why are we beating this dead horse again?" option.
Beating dead horses like this never goes out of style in tech forums.
Talldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:53 PM   #9
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I searched this forum and the "What reader should I buy" forum for: 'easy read', 'easy eyes', and 'easier read'

Didn't come up with a single thread.

I know it has been discussed in other threads, but if you're going to accuse it of being a dead horse, you should be ready to post the supposedly identical thread.

Besides, all you had to do was click twice: once to make your selection, once to submit. No typing necessary, Talldog and donnegeddan.

I notice that 93% of the people have not had a problem with this simple request for a vote.

Thanks for putting forth the heroic effort to participate in the poll.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:58 PM   #10
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
None of the above, Reflective TFT aka Jetbook.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:00 PM   #11
JeremyZ
Addict

Just curious, Ghosthawk, what is the advantage of a reflective TFT compared to an eInk? Just color?
Old 08-26-2010, 09:07 PM   #12
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Nope, its not color, its greyscale. The reflective background illuminates without causing strain. Granted at night you need a light. But in everything from full sun to dim it is clean, crisp, easy to read, with no strain. At least for my eyes, whats more it actually takes less light to read by than a conventional book.

Try reading a paperback at night with just 2 candles. Pretty tough sledding.
But when the power goes out I can, and have read comfortably for hours with just 2 candles for light. I do jump the font size from 18 to 20 for that kind of low light situation.

Granted it does not have the super long battery life some E-ink screens have.
But it also does not flash, and page turns are quick. Almost instantaneous in fact.

Granted everyone has their preferences, their likes and dislikes. But until you have actually tried a reflective TFT please don't lump it in with all the rest of the LCD's.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 09:11 PM   #13
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
I read regularly on both a backlit LCD and an E-Ink device, and while my LCD is only 3.7" it's higher resolution than my 6" E-Ink - second only to the iPhone4.

What I find is that while the Sony is easier to read for long periods - and has a fantastic battery life - I've been using the Droid more frequently. It's always with me, and that makes a difference.

I can read on either, and the E-Ink is definitely easier on my eyes - but that doesn't mean the device is always my first choice. It depends on the situation.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:50 PM   #14
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
In what lighting? A more useful poll would be about how ling people are comfortably reading on the iPad, how ling on eInk, how long on paper.

In some lighting conditions a book is easier on my eyes. In other kinds of light the iPad is easier on my eyes.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 01:16 AM   #15
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
To me, all that matters is what works for me. If 100 million people found X product useful, but I didn't, I still wouldn't buy it. I care about only what works for my eyes. For me, LCD, e-ink or print all work fine. I'm glad I have choices.

Last edited by Maggie Leung; 08-27-2010 at 01:22 AM.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote