Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-21-2010, 03:58 PM   #1
ZaLic
ZaLic began at the beginning.

Device: none
Which one should I buy?

Hello!

I am looking for a reader, basically for reading all kind of pdfs, and papers at the university and in the train. I don't want a LCD screen.

I have read that both the nood and the kindle3 have a web browser, it would be awesome if I could use the reader for checking my email (for example when I am at home or at the university through wifi, I don't need 3G). Has anybody tried to access to gmail with those browsers?

I'd like to read pdfs, and if it is possible also other formats such as txt, html.. I want to be able to read any kind of pdf (as I am researching and reading many papers), not only books from a store.

Portability does not matters at all, I can bring it in my bag, and I don't want a screen very small.

I don't need any dictionary, TST or something like that.

Touchscreen doesn't matter at all.

I have seen the new kindle for $130 and for me that's very reasonable price, I can spend more, but I wouldn't pay like $500 for something like an ipad.

Thanks!
ZaLic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 04:38 PM   #2
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
I haven't used my Nook yet to check my mail, but I went to GoodReads.com and checked my account easily. I would imagine gmail is just as easy.

Both readers would probably be fine for web access. It might boil down to where you want to get your ebooks from, what format you use most, or if you want to borrow from libraries, etc...

With html or txt files on the kindle or nook, you would need t convert them to epub for nook and mobi for kindle. Calibre is free and very fast. You can load your reader with it as well when you are done.

I chose the Nook over the Kindle because most places I go to offer epubs and don't want to be tied to one store. I also want to be able to download library books if I want. You can sometimes do these things with the kindle, but there is more work involved.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
ZaLic
ZaLic began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
I haven't used my Nook yet to check my mail, but I went to GoodReads.com and checked my account easily. I would imagine gmail is just as easy.

Both readers would probably be fine for web access. It might boil down to where you want to get your ebooks from, what format you use most, or if you want to borrow from libraries, etc...

With html or txt files on the kindle or nook, you would need t convert them to epub for nook and mobi for kindle. Calibre is free and very fast. You can load your reader with it as well when you are done.

I chose the Nook over the Kindle because most places I go to offer epubs and don't want to be tied to one store. I also want to be able to download library books if I want. You can sometimes do these things with the kindle, but there is more work involved.
Thanks very much for replying!

I am researching, so all the papers I read are very specialized and are not available in stores, most of them are phd thesis, technical reports, slides...

Having to convert formats is not a problem.

For example, if I have to send an email would that be possible with one of these readers? I have seen that the kindle has a small keyboard but the nook doesnt look like.
ZaLic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 01:47 PM   #4
graycyn
Wizard
graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.graycyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Kindle Oasis 2, Sony PRS-T2
I have visited the Gmail mobile site with my nook, but have not sent an email through it as yet. However, I *have* used my nook to post updates on both mobile Twitter and mobile Facebook sites, so I'm sure it would work just fine with Gmail.

There is not a physical keyboard on nook, no, but there is a little touchscreen keyboard that pops up on the LCD navigation touchscreen when you need it. Works fine, but I doubt you'd really want to type any long emails or replies with it. Also a little awkward for entering complicated passwords... but you can have nook remember passwords for you I believe. At least I think that option has come up! I'm just too security conscious to have anything, including my home computer do that.

However, I really don't use the WiFi much for the web, so maybe someone else can chime in for doing email through nook. I can't see that it would be a problem though.

I chose nook primarily because of the option for library borrowing, which I definitely use! Saves lots of money over buying everything!
graycyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:08 PM   #5
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
If portability is not an option and you are looking to spend less then $500 take a look at the Kindle DXG. It has a 9.7" screen that will do a nice job of displaying your txt files and PDF's. I know plenty of folks who check email and browse the web using the web browser on the Kindle. I think it works best if you check on web sites that have a mobile phone option.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2010, 04:49 PM   #6
v1k1ng1001
Addict
v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 620
Check out the pocketbook line up, especially the 301 and 302. The 302 is what i would buy if I had the money.
v1k1ng1001 is offline   Reply With Quote