Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-18-2006, 12:56 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Easy hard drive data archiving with a USB hard drive adapter

I first heard about the NewerTech USB 2.0 Universal Drive Adapter some time ago from JkOnTheRun. If I remember correctly, it was presented as a nifty way to hook up an internal (and therefore cheap) hard drive to a computer via USB, and a great alternative to buying an external drive or an enclosure.

What struck me about it was the opportunity to use it for archiving all those backups on hard drives. It's probably not a great solution for a permanent hard drive storage that's always attached to your PC, but if you want to be able to leave it in a drawer or move it between computers, this is a pretty good gadget. And at about $25, you can probably recoup your investment with the first internal hard drive you buy instead of an external hard drive.

Mobility site currently has a great review of the NewerTech USB adapter, and they say "it does exactly what it is supposed to do: seamless connectivity to a myriad of different drives".
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 01:02 PM   #2
da_jane
Evangelist
da_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enoughda_jane will become famous soon enough

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 | Kindle Paperwhite | iPad Mini
I need this. Thanks for posting about it. I have about 3 laptop harddrives laying around that could be put to good use. Like storing my ebooks.
da_jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2006, 03:03 PM   #3
paulkbiba
Connoisseur
paulkbiba began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia e61i, iPhone
I saw this here and just ordered one. I'll report back when I get it. It seems like a great idea.
paulkbiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 11:05 AM   #4
paulkbiba
Connoisseur

I forgot to update this. I have been using this unit for quite a while now with a number of different drives and PCs and it works like a charm. Simple and cheap!! Highly recommended.
Old 02-15-2007, 11:24 AM   #5
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulkbiba
I forgot to update this. I have been using this unit for quite a while now with a number of different drives and PCs and it works like a charm. Simple and cheap!! Highly recommended.
Nice! do you think it'll work with the PRS? I guess it could work with an SD tip kind of wire while plugged in with ConSoft. @ NatCh What do you think?

That would be a great way to unite all my peripherals; cameras, MP3, (not sure about the iPod though) , printer and laptop.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2007, 11:37 AM   #6
paulkbiba
Connoisseur

Don't know what a PRS is, so you'd have to check their site. Won't work with an iPod, that I know. It is only meant for hard disk drives.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:16 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
He means the PRS-500, paulkbiba, A.K.A the Sony Reader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
Nice! do you think it'll work with the PRS? I guess it could work with an SD tip kind of wire while plugged in with ConSoft. @ NatCh What do you think?
It looks to me like it would appear as just another drive like a USB drive, so I wouldn't expect ConnSoft to have any issues with it. (scratches head)
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 01:20 PM   #8
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Sony Reader is not a USB host, so you probably can't connect it to the Reader via USB.

As far as using it with Connect software, I doubt it's of any benefit, but it would look like any other hard drive to the PC, so it should be usable as such.

If you are thinking of using it with the Reader, I don't know of any USB-to-SD plugs, but why try that anyway? SD storage is pretty spacious and convenient anyway. I can't imagine any scenario that would be useful to plug a hard drive into the wall socket and a Sony Reader to expand storage.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:29 PM   #9
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulkbiba

Ditto!
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 01:38 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
SD storage is pretty spacious and convenient anyway. I can't imagine any scenario that would be useful to plug a hard drive into the wall socket and a Sony Reader to expand storage.
This seems like a good solution to get some usage out of all those old, tiny 5 GB hard drives we've got lying around, but I think I'm a lot happier with my USB drive for carting files around.

I agree, Bob, that connecting the Drive directly to the Reader won't work, looking back, I realize that I wasn't clear about that. Sorry for any confusion.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:59 PM   #11
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict

Having said that, I do plan to get this. With all the positive feedback and the reminder about the product, it's time to put it on my "to buy" list, as well as a couple of internal hard drives!
Old 02-15-2007, 03:06 PM   #12
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
One added note - because the plug is larger than that of a ribbon cable, it may be impossible to plug this device into a hard drive that is installed in an old computer. I had that problem when I wanted to copy data from a drive on an old (non working) computer to put onto a new computer. The drive seemed almost impossible to remove so I tried to plug into it while it was still mounted in the old computer. What I succeeded in doing was to break or bend some of the hard drives plug pins. As a consequence, I was not able to extract anything from that drive.

However it works great for an unmounted drive.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 04:32 PM   #13
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
The Sony Reader is not a USB host, so you probably can't connect it to the Reader via USB.

As far as using it with Connect software, I doubt it's of any benefit, but it would look like any other hard drive to the PC, so it should be usable as such.

If you are thinking of using it with the Reader, I don't know of any USB-to-SD plugs, but why try that anyway? SD storage is pretty spacious and convenient anyway. I can't imagine any scenario that would be useful to plug a hard drive into the wall socket and a Sony Reader to expand storage.
I was thinking mainly of a data slave that could store DRM'd files. Since you can use only 6 devices, This one would never be subjected to crashes of outdating.
Being tiny it would be the perfect travel companion, no need to carry a computer. I guess a UMPC would fit the bill better.
Old 02-15-2007, 05:18 PM   #14
NatCh
Gizmologist

Or a USB thumb/flash/pen drive. I have a 4 GB one that's working nicely for me.
Old 02-16-2007, 09:04 AM   #15
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User

Guess you're right on this NatCh. A flash device is much more trustworthy than a hard drive. Anyone know of a flash based data slave? I've seen one by Sandisk that's used for picture viewing on a TV. Anyone tried switching it's purpose to music or books?