Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 06-27-2009, 02:07 AM   #1
chris18
chris18 began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Display Problem

Hi,

I have had my Cybook for a few months now and everything was great, until today, when I switched it on the screen went all crazy. I haven't dropped it or banged it or anything. I tried resetting and taking out the battery but the screen did not change, not even with the battery taken out. The green light seems to respond when I press the on/off button but the display remains the same.

Any ideas why it happened and how I can fix it?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ebook.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	31244  
chris18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 02:19 AM   #2
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
That looks like a cracked screen and there is nothing else you can do but contact Bookeen. Usually such a damage is caused by too much pressure on the screen or by dropping the device...
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2009, 02:23 AM   #3
chris18

Thanks for the reply. I am quite sure I haven't dropped it or put excessive pressure on it as it had just been sitting on my bedside table since I last used it. But thanks anyway and I will contact bookeen and see what they say.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:06 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Unquestionably a broken screen substrate, I'm afraid. Generally caused by bending or twisting the device rather than by impacts. It will cost €120 to replace the screen - it's not covered by warranty.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 09:10 AM   #5
chris18

Ouch! I live in Hong Kong so I knew repair is going to be trouble, so I have been very careful with the Cybook. Can't think of how I broke it as I keep it in the protective cover all the time
Advert
Old 06-28-2009, 12:17 PM   #6
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Yeah, i never knew how mine was broken either. Then trace on the case are proof of what happened.
Have a closer look and the case, you should see something.

You neeed to contact bookeen, (support - @ - bookeen.com) , then send the reader to them (They'll send you the address and all)
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:07 AM   #7
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
Yeah, i never knew how mine was broken either. Then trace on the case are proof of what happened.
Have a closer look and the case, you should see something.

You neeed to contact bookeen, (support - @ - bookeen.com) , then send the reader to them (They'll send you the address and all)
And an RMA number - but they will likely ask you for proof of purchase and the serial number before they send you the RMA number and address.

I had to remind them after a few days, and sent off mine (from Australia) nearly two weeks ago.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:31 AM   #8
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
but they will likely ask you for proof of purchase and the serial number before they send you the RMA number and address.
I don't remember them asking for a proof of purchace. Probaly asked only when covered by warrenty. Serial number was on the RMA form if i remember right.
And yes, you need the RMA number As it's what will tell bokeen whose reader it is.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 10:26 AM   #9
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
The screen substrate can broke really long time after a drop... Glass is really a strange material...
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 01:55 AM   #10
chris18

I contacted bookeen, sent the cybook back to them in Paris, and it costs €100 to replace the screen and €32 for postage I just have to be really careful from now on and pray that it doesn't break again.

I am curious, are the other ebook readers with the same screen prone to breaking as easily? I browsed through the Kindle forums and they seem to have less posts with display problems.
Old 07-03-2009, 02:28 AM   #11
Godzil
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

the screen fragility is not a cybook exclusive functionality. it will broke on all devices...

Last edited by Godzil; 07-08-2009 at 12:22 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-03-2009, 02:47 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris18 View Post
I am curious, are the other ebook readers with the same screen prone to breaking as easily? I browsed through the Kindle forums and they seem to have less posts with display problems.
Yes, they all use the same screen, and are all susseptible to breakage.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:59 AM   #13
ralfm1
ralfm1 began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Screen

I have been reading the posts on the screen damage. Attached find a screen shot of my Cybook. I don’t know what the problem is, but I can not shut it off at all. It will not do anything. None off the buttons seem to be functioning. I have tried the reset with no results, I have taken out the battery and put it back in, also with negative results. Tried reflashing the memory, nothing doing. It has not been dropped, has always been in the case and there is absolutely no visible sign of damage. I mean, I pick it up, read and then put it down again. How can it be damaged? If these things are that fragile, perhaps it's time to get back to the drawing board. Is it really the screen or could it be the processor, etc? Any ideas to get this thing working again?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cybook Problem2.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	31861  
ralfm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:21 PM   #14
Godzil

This is a broken screen and since it is broken, it will not display anything anymore
Old 07-08-2009, 01:22 PM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralfm1 View Post
I have been reading the posts on the screen damage. Attached find a screen shot of my Cybook. I don’t know what the problem is, but I can not shut it off at all. It will not do anything. None off the buttons seem to be functioning. I have tried the reset with no results, I have taken out the battery and put it back in, also with negative results. Tried reflashing the memory, nothing doing. It has not been dropped, has always been in the case and there is absolutely no visible sign of damage. I mean, I pick it up, read and then put it down again. How can it be damaged? If these things are that fragile, perhaps it's time to get back to the drawing board. Is it really the screen or could it be the processor, etc? Any ideas to get this thing working again?
Unquestionably a broken screen substrate, I'm afraid. There's a very thin layer of glass under the outer plastic screen. If a bending or twisting force is applied to the Gen3 this will fracture, even though there's no outward sign of damage. All eInk devices are susseptible to this.

I'm afraid it's not covered by the warranty. It will cost you about €100 to have it repaired.