Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 05-02-2013, 10:51 AM   #1
John123
Connoisseur
John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Samsung Note, Kindle, hudl2
OPF manifest

Hi All,

Can anyone shed any light on this error:

ERROR ITMS-9000: "9781908737472.epub: The book asset contains file(s) not listed in the OPF manifest: 9781908737472.epub:/META-INF/calibre_bookmarks.txt. All files must be listed in the OPF manifest, or there is no way to confirm that they are intended for distribution. For more information refer to http://idpf.org/epub" at Book (MZItmspBookPackage)

I'm unsure of the program which is producing this error. The customer sent the above via email saying could I fix it. I have ran the epub through all known validators and it passes them.

Is it something that Calibre is doing at the conversion stage?

Thanks in advance,

John.
John123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:55 PM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
It is quite simple. The ePUB has been opened for reading in Calibre. That will create this file. You can delete it manually or via the 'Modify ePUB' plugin in Calibre.
For future reference, iTunes does the same. If you open a book in iTunes it will also add a file to the ePUB.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Also, never use Calibre for conversions for 'professional' books. That produces very ugly code which can render differently on different readers.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #4
John123
Connoisseur
John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40John123 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Also, never use Calibre for conversions for 'professional' books. That produces very ugly code which can render differently on different readers.
Thanks! I'm maybe going to open a cans of worms here and ask, "What is the best way to convert epub to mobi?" That will do a professional job.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:53 PM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by John123 View Post
Thanks! I'm maybe going to open a cans of worms here and ask, "What is the best way to convert epub to mobi?" That will do a professional job.
THAT one is actually easy. ;-) Simply take a correctly and well-made ePUB and drop that puppy right on Kindle Previewer or KindleGen--kablammo! Insta-mobi. Now, the caveat is, of course: well-made ePUB. Check for errors (easier to do with Previewer) in the "making" of the MOBI, and view the book carefully both on real devices (as many as you can) and Previewer. Make sure you validate the ePUB first, also-almost forgot! ;-)

P.S.: +1 for not using a wonderful cataloging tool, Calibre, to make ePUBs that you intend for professional/commercial distribution. It does what it is intended to do--library management--wonderfully. But it's really not a commercial or professional "bookmaking" tool.

Hope that helps.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2013, 09:31 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
THAT one is actually easy. ;-) Simply take a correctly and well-made ePUB and drop that puppy right on Kindle Previewer or KindleGen--kablammo! Insta-mobi. Now, the caveat is, of course: well-made ePUB. Check for errors (easier to do with Previewer) in the "making" of the MOBI, and view the book carefully both on real devices (as many as you can) and Previewer. Make sure you validate the ePUB first, also-almost forgot! ;-)

P.S.: +1 for not using a wonderful cataloging tool, Calibre, to make ePUBs that you intend for professional/commercial distribution. It does what it is intended to do--library management--wonderfully. But it's really not a commercial or professional "bookmaking" tool.

Hope that helps.

Hitch
I've used Sigil do do format conversions plenty of times. I've also then taken the resulting code and cleaned it up. Sometimes it's very easy and other times (with older Mobi) an be a real pain. But it's doable. In most cases, it's not worse then cleaning up after a typical Word RTF > ePub conversion.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:35 AM   #7
Toxaris
Wizard

You mean Calibre I think Wolfie.

Yes, you can use it, but you have to clean the garbage. And that is something almost nobody does. Also, the Word RTF to ePUB conversion also isn't that swell. I have seen a lot of markup/layout gone wrong that way with a hard time to correct. I'll stick with my macro anytime.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:18 AM   #8
John123
Connoisseur

Thanks guys "kablammo!" as Hitch points out. I've been labouring under the impression that Calibre was the last thing in converting epub to mobi ... WRONG ... well I am pretty much a complete noob.

However, when I created the mobi in KindlePreviewer from an epub created in Sigil there's no TOC? Calibre compiled this for me. It's there in Sigil but greyed out in KindlePreviewer, NCX view is there and seems to work. I have an HTML TOC page at the start of the book, where a person might expect to see one, but no logical TOC. Can this be created in Sigil and how would I go about that?