Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-14-2012, 02:28 AM   #1
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
Best 6" 768×1024?

I'm looking to upgrade from my PB360, and was hoping to get one with one of the new 768×1024 6" e-paper screens.

Beyond higher screen resolution, what I'd be looking for is:

1) Good button placement (particularly the page-turn buttons) & build quality.

2) Touchscreen (preferable but not essential).

3) Lighter is better (as is thinner & with less bezel).

3a) Have no need for a keyboard, so really don't want the extra weight & space for one. (Ditto, but to a lesser extent, WiFi, cellular, etc.)

4) EPUB support is essential, and would strongly prefer software that allows heavy customisation of font, fontsize & margins (e.g. FBReader).

5) Mild preference for an external card slot.

[Update] 6) Adding 'Folder Navigation' as a fairly strongly desired feature. I store my books hierarchically by author (and often with that by series), and don't really want to be continually having to create 'collections' to replicate this. [/Update]

(3a) eliminates the iRiver Story HD, which leaves the Boox i62HD (rather heavy & the Boox forum hasn't been complimentary about its buttons), the PAGEone HD (no touchscreen) and Wexler Flex ONE (no touchscreen, incredibly light, but a vague question-mark, due to a blog-review, about the build-quality of its buttons).

Of these, I can only find a seller for the i62HD (but that's of no immediate issue, as I'm not under any time pressure -- assuming of course that the other two are in fact eventually released for sale, which I will admit is no certainty). Anybody wish to venture an opinion on any of these, and/or suggest further alternatives?

Last edited by Hrafn; 07-26-2012 at 03:54 AM. Reason: Adding 'Folder Navigation'
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 03:27 AM   #2
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
I would suggest an alternative although it fails already on the first of your points. It is the Pocketbook 622 which meets all your other needs and gets very favourable reports. And as the owner of a Pocketbook 360 you are already familiar with the basics of its firmware.

If 768 x 1024 is a must (what I can understand, I have the iRiver HD), then I would go for the Boox i62HD or wait.

Last edited by Billi; 07-14-2012 at 03:48 AM.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2012, 05:48 AM   #3
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
i62HD might be your only choice then. Although I don't use the device myself, it looks very promising and seems to have more features and customizability compared to the Story HD - but probably also some blind spots (people complained about incomplete translations iirc). So it's a niche device but same goes for the Story HD. It's worth a try.

I wouldn't go for the Wexler Flex unless you're expecting to use it in a heavy duty environment; the "unbreakable" display is the only thing going for it really, I don't think the form factor or flexibility is of any comfort otherwise.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 07:56 AM   #4
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Billi:

I looked at the 622 but as it is fairly expensive for a 6", with rather less than cutting-edge technology (Pearl-600x800 & Capacitive touchscreen have both been out for a year or more), which shouldn't command any price premium, so I couldn't see the point in paying over the odds for it as an upgrade. To put it another way: if the 622 is my best buy, then my best decision is to wait.

(Another factor compounding the downside of the 622 is that virtually nobody sells it. The only place I could find selling it, on a brief check to confirm my price impression, was Amazon UK's Marketplace. None of the main online Pocketbook stores seem to stock it -- they're still selling 612s for around US$200.)

frostschutz:

You're missing the major selling point of the Wexler -- it is half the weight of the i62HD. That aspect doesn't make it a 'must-buy' for me, but it does keep it in the running (as I'd put approximately equal weighting on that aspect as presence/lack of a touchscreen).

(Parenthetically, the main reason I would prefer a touchscreen is for Pratchett's Diskworld novels -- he puts many of his jokes into footnotes, which aren't navigable without a touchscreen. If a an eReader was able to navigate to/back-from without a touchscreen, e.g. by DPad and/or buttons, it would render the touchscreen largely superfluous.)

Last edited by Hrafn; 07-14-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:37 AM   #5
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrafn View Post
it is half the weight of the i62HD
That doesn't matter at all to me. Compared to the weight of most books, all ereaders are feathers. Form is more important than weight here, and the Wexler just doesn't look comfortable to hold or handle to me. ymmv, it's a matter of taste of course.

Quote:
(Parenthetically, the main reason I would prefer a touchscreen is for Pratchett's Diskworld novels -- he puts many of his jokes into footnotes, which aren't navigable without a touchscreen.
Footnotes should work on the Story HD, although I don't have a good book to try it out with.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2012, 09:18 AM   #6
Hrafn
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
Compared to the weight of most books, all ereaders are feathers.
Umm ... no. An average ('mass market') paperback novel weighs around 200g, same as an average 6" eReader. (Yes, most textbooks weigh more, but would more likely to be read on a 9" eReader.)

Also eReaders, unlike books, are fragile. If I'm carrying my PB360, it goes in my breast pocket (whereas a book would go in my bag). Its 185g isn't uncomfortable there, but is still noticeable. Likewise if I'm reading in bed (where I read the most, and where supporting the book puts the greatest strain on my wrist), its weight isn't unpleasant, but I do tend to shift position fairly frequently to swap which hand is taking the strain.

(And yes, before getting an eReader, I would tend to take a 'mass market' paperback to read whilst waiting for the bus/dentist/etc over a larger 'trade' paperback or hardcover. It had less, but still not 'no', impact on my bed-time reading.)

Subjectively, it is a case of one-size-does-not-fit-all. I was the one that asked the question, and I explicitly made weight an issue (see point 3 on my first post). So I see no reason why I should be willing to overlook it now.

Quote:
... the Wexler just doesn't look comfortable to hold or handle to me. ymmv, it's a matter of taste of course.
Button-placement seems to be very much a matter of actually trying it out, and of personal preference. I had thought from looking at pictures of it, that the PB360 wouldn't be too bad on this front -- but it was always its Archilles' Heel for me.

Assuming that I would hold the Wexler by the 'bulged' edge and that I was using one of the DPad buttons on that side to page-turn, it doesn't seem completely out of possibility that I could use the thumb of the hand holding it to page turn. But it would need somebody who actually had use of this device to prove whether this hypothesis is feasible.

Last edited by Hrafn; 07-14-2012 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-17-2012, 07:53 AM   #7
Begemot
Zealot
Begemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic somethingBegemot has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Sony DPT-S1, Kindle DX, iPad, Kobo Mini,H20,iRiver StoryHD
I would say if you can get your hands on Iriver Story HD for $60 or less then get that one. It is an amazing value. The keyboard does not really add that much to the weight, in fact everyone has commented on how light Story HD feels.

Checking the ereader matrix, I see Story HD has 207g weight which compares just fine with the lightest 6 inch reader which is Sony PRS-T1 at 168g. (Kindle Touch is 170g)

My only regret about Story HD is that there is not a 9inch or larger version with exactly the same features, specs and screen. Story HD handles large PDFs just fine, it is just that the dot pitch is too small at 6inches.
Begemot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 01:50 PM   #8
Ladyrixx
Zealot
Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro, Kobo Mini, Nook Glowlight 2, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Also eReaders, unlike books, are fragile. If I'm carrying my PB360, it goes in my breast pocket (whereas a book would go in my bag). Its 185g isn't uncomfortable there, but is still noticeable. Likewise if I'm reading in bed (where I read the most, and where supporting the book puts the greatest strain on my wrist), its weight isn't unpleasant, but I do tend to shift position fairly frequently to swap which hand is taking the strain.
I must be the only insane one here who carries her ereader in her pants pockets/thrown in her purse. It's been three years and my EZ Reader is still fine...

The weight of the eInk readers arn't much, the only one I've noticed that's heafty is my Kobo Vox, but it's not the best for books anyway.

Also, I have issues with my hands and can't hold a paperback open long enough to read much of it, so for me, it's hardbacks or an ereader.
Ladyrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
(Parenthetically, the main reason I would prefer a touchscreen is for Pratchett's Diskworld novels -- he puts many of his jokes into footnotes, which aren't navigable without a touchscreen. If a an eReader was able to navigate to/back-from without a touchscreen, e.g. by DPad and/or buttons, it would render the touchscreen largely superfluous.)
The Sony Readers without a touch screen all have been able to navigate endnotes just fine without the need for touch. There were the best of the bunch at navigating internal links because they also had a way to navigate back even if the eBook did not supply a back link.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:48 AM   #10
jmseight
Zealot
jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'jmseight knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3G, Kindle Touch 3G, iRiver Story HD, Sony Reader
Hi,

I have the Kindle 3G, iRiver Story HD, Sony T1, and just got a Kindle Touch.

For reading by eye, my favorite is the iRiver Story HD. The better resolution is just so much more pleasing on the eyes. My big complaint with it is that some epubs have large left and right margins, and if I make the font bigger, the margins becomes huge.

One feature I like about the Kindles is the Text-To-Speech. It takes getting used to, but it is great on trips where I cannot alway read the book by eye. I can also speed the TTS to very rapid rates (it takes a lot of getting used to). Sony has TTS if you hack it but it does not work as well as the Kindle.

Thanks,
James
jmseight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:36 AM   #11
Hrafn
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmseight View Post
My big complaint with it is that some epubs have large left and right margins, and if I make the font bigger, the margins becomes huge.
My current eReader, the PB620, uses FBReader for epubs, which allows you to set it to override epub settings for margins (and fonts, and probably some other stuff). I take it that the Story HD doesn't have a similar capability?
Old 08-01-2012, 03:18 AM   #12
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
No. The only way to change anything in this regard is editing the css-file directly. In terms of customisability the iRiver is on the far other end compared to the Pocketbooks but it has its really outstanding screen.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:48 AM   #13
Hrafn
Fanatic

I ended up going with the Onyx Boox i62HD, for about US$150 + extras & shipping. Have been using it for a few days and am very happy with it.

This puts it at about 3/4 the price of the PB622 (160 Euro), with clearly superior hardware (HD resolution + IR touchscreen vs capacitive on the 622). Although I mildly prefer the PB software, they are sufficiently equivalent (particularly the fact that they both include FBReader), that this was a no-brainer.

Likewise, although I was intrigued by the Wexler, and it is now being sold by a couple of stores, the newness (and thus untriedness) of the tech, combined with the lack of detailed documentation (e.g. an online-available manual) or reviews and the US$350 (or thereabouts) pricetag made it a non-starter. Maybe in a couple of years time (when the tech has matured & the prices come down).
Old 09-05-2012, 06:53 AM   #14
Frankr
Zealot
Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EzReader, Sony 650, Kindle 5, Onyx i62HD, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
I ended up going with the Onyx Boox i62HD, for about US$150 + extras...
I think I'm going to do the same, where did you buy it from and how long did it take from day of order to receive it? Any discount coupons available?
Frankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 12:09 AM   #15
Hrafn
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankr View Post
I think I'm going to do the same, where did you buy it from and how long did it take from day of order to receive it? Any discount coupons available?
I picked it up through the Chinese online mega-mall www.taobao.com / www.tmall.com. This generally requires heavy use of Google translate and then a purchasing/shipping agent. The latter generally charge 5-10% commission (in addition to domestic & international shipping), but I found one, agencytaobao.com/ , that is temporarily 0 commission as a promotional thing.

The Chinese stores seem to generally refer to the i62HD as the "Boox Touch"/"BT" (and seems to always come in grey, distinguishing it from the non-HD "i62" which seems to always come in white -- the BT generally sells for around 900 Yuan, the i62 for around 800).

It was a total of 12 days from order to delivery (3 days internal domestic, 9 days international shipping). It was a fairly painless experience.

Last edited by Hrafn; 09-06-2012 at 12:24 AM. Reason: BT vs i62