Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 12-09-2007, 09:55 AM   #1
mm898
mm898 began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad
New user - best format for ebooks?

New to the forum and to eReaders! I'm getting an iLiad for Christmas and am just wondering what the best format for reading ebooks is (ie downloaded from Gutenberg). I have a number of books on my PC in rtf and html. I'd like to start converting them to the best format now so I'm ready to load and read when I get the iLiad.
mm898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 09:59 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Download a copy of Book Designer and the associate Book Cleaner file and you can use it to create Mobipocket format books from your RTF.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2007, 10:21 AM   #3
mm898

Thanks so much!!
Old 12-09-2007, 10:50 AM   #4
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
You can also directly download books for your iLiad from Feedbooks: http://www.feedbooks.com

We have a special PDF template for the iLiad that looks wonderful, and today, we'll add Mobipocket support too.

This way you can select between:
- best looking format, but you can't change the size of the font on the device: PDF
- reflowable, but not as good looking: Mobipocket

Last edited by Hadrien; 12-09-2007 at 11:02 AM.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 11:47 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The other method to try is FBReader, which will read single-file HTML and RTF files directly. You can try this on your Desktop, and if it works it will save you a lot of work. Note that FBReader is very customizable, and you may need to play with its many options (tools icon) to get the look you like. A big advantage of FBReader on the iLiad is that you can select the font, the line spacing, and the margins. With the MobiPocket Reader you are stuck with a very sub-optimal setup.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2007, 12:12 PM   #6
mm898

JSWolf - downloaded Book Designer and it looked great until I realized I need Word to run it - I use OpenOffice. Bummer. Any work around?

Hadrien and wallcraft - thanks, I'll check those out!
Old 12-18-2007, 08:32 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You could try converting your content to HTML and then try loading it with Book Designer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 09:52 AM   #8
Lazycat
Enthusiast
Lazycat began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad 2nd Edition
I'm a newbie, and I haven't tried the Book Designer.

But I found that the latest Mobipocket Creator is also a great software for converting files (HTML, PDF, Word, TXT) into mobipocket format. The programs run independently, and the results is good for reading on an iLiad. You may give it a try:

http://www.mobipocket.com/en/Downloa...sp?Language=EN

Last edited by Lazycat; 12-18-2007 at 10:00 AM.
Lazycat is offline   Reply With Quote