Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-19-2011, 12:13 PM   #1
bigpizza
bigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five words

Device: prs-505, prs-T1
T1 original system can use customized fonts

Good news.

Un-rooted T1 now can use customized fonts. Got the method from a Chinese forum.

Put the customized font file in the location fonts/ in internal flash.

Add the font path in epub : res:///ebook/fonts/../../mnt/sdcard/fonts/font.ttf

Now it works to use the user's font.
bigpizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:46 PM   #2
pssquirrel
ebooknut
pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pssquirrel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & Oasis
This is great news! Thanks so much for posting!

I don't understand where to put the fonts, though. Where exactly is "internal flash"?

Thank you!
pssquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2011, 12:57 PM   #3
bigpizza
bigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five wordsbigpizza can name that ebook in five words

Device: prs-505, prs-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pssquirrel View Post
This is great news! Thanks so much for posting!

I don't understand where to put the fonts, though. Where exactly is "internal flash"?

Thank you!
When you connect the reader with computer, two disks appears. The disk with a larger size is the internal flash. Just make the directory /fonts on the disk and put your font file in it.
bigpizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:14 PM   #4
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpizza View Post
I don't have my T1 yet, but I'm really interested in being able to do this. What does this part mean? Where do I add this? That code says something about sdcard, does that matter in any way?
Maybe my questions are really stupid and this would be obvious if I had the T1 in my hand, but I have a feeling I'm going to need more instructions even then.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:21 PM   #5
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
I don't have my T1 yet, but I'm really interested in being able to do this. What does this part mean? Where do I add this? That code says something about sdcard, does that matter in any way?
Maybe my questions are really stupid and this would be obvious if I had the T1 in my hand, but I have a feeling I'm going to need more instructions even then.
If this is something you have been used to doing on your earlier Sony models it just means that where you used to add @font-face statements to the epub css files like:
Code:
@font-face {... ... src: url(res:///Data/fonts/myfont.ttf)}
you now need
Code:
@font-face {... ... src: url(res:///ebook/fonts/../../mnt/sdcard/fonts/myfont.ttf)}
Despite its confusing name /mnt/sdcard refers to internal memory, nothing to do with a removable SD card. The real SD card is /mnt/extsd. Clear as mud

Well done to bigpizza for finding the Sony font location Holy Grail

Last edited by jackie_w; 12-19-2011 at 03:24 PM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2011, 03:34 PM   #6
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Thanks, bigpizza. That's fantastic news!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 03:51 PM   #7
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Why would you want to do something like this? I know it takes a bit more space, but if you're going to edit the epub, why not just embed the fonts properly?
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:28 PM   #8
chrisridd
Guru
chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chrisridd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Kobo Aura ONE, Marvin 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
Why would you want to do something like this? I know it takes a bit more space, but if you're going to edit the epub, why not just embed the fonts properly?
Putting one copy of the fonts on the Reader will take less disk space than putting one in every epub.

Does Reader allow you to choose these custom fonts in the normal font switching list?
chrisridd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:35 PM   #9
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Thank you! The free Caecilia font looks great on the T1 screen. When trying this out make sure you set the font to "Original" in the menu.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:06 PM   #10
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
Another reason is that if you're creating your epubs with Calibre you can copy all the necessary @font-faces into the Look&Feel - ExtraCSS box in Preferences and they will all be automatically placed into the epub as part of the conversion to epub process. Fully embedding the fonts is still a manual process.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:22 PM   #11
dr1ver
dr1ver began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK STR
silly questions from a noob:

1. so i just make a new folder named "fonts," copy the fonts to this folder, and place it in the same directory as Books and DCIM of the T1?

2. how do i add the font path to the epub file?
dr1ver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:36 PM   #12
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
jackie_w described it here. If you use Calibre put all that font-face stuff in the ExtraCSS box on the Look&Feel screen of ePub-to-ePub conversion.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 05:36 PM   #13
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

If you're converting to epub using Calibre, see post #10.

If not, you need to:
  • Open the epub with an unzip utility (e.g. 7zip, WinRAR, Calibre Tweak epub)
  • Find the .css file and edit it in your favourite text editor. Copy all the @font-face statements to the top of the file (but after the css header, if there is one)
  • Replace the .css file in the epub and you're done.

Last edited by jackie_w; 12-19-2011 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:02 PM   #14
seabee
Connoisseur
seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.seabee writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpizza View Post
Good news.
Un-rooted T1 now can use customized fonts. Got the method from a Chinese forum.
Put the customized font file in the location fonts/ in internal flash.
Now it works to use the user's font.
The Reader application probably either reject /mnt directory references or only accept references to /ebook/fonts but the ../../ counteract that restriction
seabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 06:45 PM   #15
dr1ver
dr1ver began at the beginning.

Device: NOOK STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
If you're converting to epub using Calibre, see post #10.

If not, you need to:
  • Open the epub with an unzip utility (e.g. 7zip, WinRAR, Calibre Tweak epub)
  • Find the .css file and edit it in your favourite text editor. Copy all the @font-face statements to the top of the file (but after the css header, if there is one)
  • Replace the .css file in the epub and you're done.
so i've tried it both ways and still can't get it to work.

1. downloaded Caecilia font. renamed it myfont.ttf and placed it in new font folder in same directory as Books & DCIM

2. tried epub > epub conversion in Calibre. copy and pasted the code provided by jackie_w into the ExtraCSS box. transferred new epub file to reader, but it didn't work. i was able to open the epub file, but the font was not caecilia

3. also tried to edit using 7zip. i made sure the edited file was saved. transferred to kindle and got same result.

is this what the code is should look like? i pasted it to the beginning like instructed. please advise
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CSS.png
Views:	611
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	80164  
dr1ver is offline   Reply With Quote