Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-20-2011, 09:41 AM   #271
rrrevin
rrrevin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
double and triple this.. when looking at screen after screen after screen of books, scrolling or next page takes too long.. being able to organize into sub folders would be a huge bonus..

Examples: Author (and sub folder series?), genre, series, Titles by first letter, authors by first letter then author.. would be awesome if we could do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
I want folders. I want to be able to arrange my books by genre if I like, or series. I want to arrange as I see fit.

As with everyone else, I would like "Go To" and bookmarks.
.PDF reflow would be GREAT, too. Right now I'm having to turn into a TechnoGod just to convert and read .PDFs on my Kobo
rrrevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 01:34 PM   #272
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
Provide an instant indication on the screen when the Home button is pressed. The button is recessed too much, making it difficult to press easily, and there's a 1/2 second lag before the Home page appears, leaving you wondering whether the press was recognized. This could be addressed partly in firmware by providing some quick indication that the button press has been recognized.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2011, 03:03 PM   #273
Blastop
Blastop began at the beginning.

Device: N/A
Regarding the Kobo Touch, has anyone requested landscape mode for ePub and kepub books yet? For comfort reasons and to reduce page-turning frequency, I'd like to be able to hold it sideways and render two pages side-by-side. I know that more text would fit in a standard single-page full-width format with the same font size, but I'm really hung up on having the division. It's like a chance for my brain to "take a breath" between pages. Of course, the most important thing is a landscape reading mode.

I'm buying mine at the end of the month, so that's loads of time to get the feature ready

P.S.: It's the fact that there are people here on this forum responding to users and attempting to fulfill their requests, even if you can't do EVERYTHING we ask for, that pushed me over to Kobo. Make sure the people paying your wages know that

Last edited by Blastop; 06-20-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Blastop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:26 PM   #274
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
If I could get folder browsing (or, ideally, the Sony "collections" data that can be loaded via Calibre), I would switch to Kobo entirely as my eReader of choice AND store of choice.

Also, for store bought books, I would love the ability to organize THOSE on shelves online. Right now, my Kobo library is three pages long, and it's unwieldy to look for anything.

Well, I also REALLY would like the same zooming/panning/locking-into-place PDF options that the Sony uses. But for right now, I have my Sony for that. What I DON'T have on my Sony is a store that can sync across an eReader and my phone.

Also, +1 to the Kobo support team being so proactive to talk to us. That's GOLDEN.

EDITED TO ADD:

Also, those badges are freaking AMAZING. I want them so badly, and I don't even have a Kobo reader. All the more reason for me to switch.... just as soon as I can get some metadata/folder browsing.

Last edited by anamardoll; 06-21-2011 at 03:29 PM.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 09:34 AM   #275
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
I want to see highlights from ALL my books in one location.
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-22-2011, 01:31 PM   #276
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
SOmeone told me (no Kobo staff) that the iOS Kobo app supports collections in a form they call bookshelves. On our reader, Kobo refers to books and shortlist as bookshelves. I may be entirely wrong here, but I look to the iOS app as a general guideline as to where the reader is going.

I know the Android App is not as developed as the iOS one, but it is being frequently updated and is just a few steps ahead of the reader now (and a few behind iOS). For example, you can use advanced features on non-DRM books without having to manually change file types and with the cover preserved.

That being said, hopes that everything (all book types, notes, etc) will one day sync may be a whole lot more difficult.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:15 AM   #277
RasAlhague
Enthusiast
RasAlhague began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Returned), Kobo Touch, Ipod Touch 4G
I hope that they can support more filetypes. Sometimes Calibre is kinda faulty.

And some categorizing options for books too, to keep my library organized and stuff.
RasAlhague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:22 AM   #278
octoberdana
Enthusiast
octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Nook Touch, Kindle Touch
I agree with the other comments about needing a way to organize my library. Also I would like to see the dictionary work with all books- not just those purchased from kobo.
octoberdana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:56 PM   #279
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by octoberdana View Post
I agree with the other comments about needing a way to organize my library. Also I would like to see the dictionary work with all books- not just those purchased from kobo.
Since you appear to own a Kobo Touch, your message should probably be in the "Kobo Touch future firmware feature request thread". In any case, having the dictionary work on non-Kobo ePubs is currently in beta evaluation for the Touch, so hopefully you can soon cross off one of the items on your wish list.

Regards,
Joe

Last edited by Joe563; 07-05-2011 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Correction
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:33 AM   #280
juxtapose
Banned
juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!juxtapose rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: tons
When will the Kobo be able to read menus in french, german, spanish and have foreign language support?
juxtapose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:13 AM   #281
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
They announced that kobo touch with firmware in those languages is coming--just not when. It may have to do with local distribution agreements--though that is a guess on my part.

As long as you have a font set with the right characters available, you can read books in a variety of languages already.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 10:50 PM   #282
readingglasses
Zealot
readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.readingglasses can eat soup with a fork.

Device: (prospective) kobo touch
1. proper right to left language support.
2. allow not only dictionary to work on all epubs (and frankly, on as many formats as possible, anywhere the kobo can identify text) but allow custom dictionaries to be made in a standard format and loaded as lookup tools on kobo.
the sony prs+ open firmware will allow it and if they can do it by reverse engineering, then kobo can do it with all the blueprints. Sony already provides more than one language dictionary by default. And amazon sells a few not only as books but as in-document lookup tools.

3. FOLDERS. IT can't be said enough. Even if there's some problem with folders, any method of segregating groups of books. You can make it "modes" if the hardware platform/touchscreen etc are conducive to navigating a directory/file tree or even back/forth menu buttons at the bottom of the scree, like everything else, for a displayed tree. Kobo could make you memorize a sequence of taps to go into one group or another. I'll memorize it, anything. Just don't force me to wade through 20 pages of titles.

4. a stack or series of currently reading books.
For example, you want to read two books at once (or two documents, more likely) for cross referencing, you could say, "add this to currently reading multi list" and then you can exit one book and jump into another in your very small list, repeatedly. And everything else is as usual, the book has bookmarks, it opens to where you last closed it, etc.
If you are "currently reading" a large number of books, then that's already a big list and you should have a "really currently reading" small list of books for the immediate reading session. Not just a list of all currently "unfinished" books.

5. export or at least tell us how to find the list of bookmarks in an epub, on the kobo reader database files, when it's hooked up by usb. Then we can export that as a text file and print. If there are some lines you want to remember, that's easiest. I think this can be done on sony readers. (but this last one is the most frivolous of all the suggestions).
readingglasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:11 AM   #283
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
I know it's been said before, but I think it's worth repeating.

BATTERY STATUS. ALWAYS VISIBLE. Like, in the status bar.

I don't like books crumbling under my hands while I read them. I'm absent-minded, I don't always remember to go into menu just to check the battery status.

Is there a battery status for the Touch?
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 07:52 AM   #284
singularity
singularity began at the beginning.

Device: none
<moved>

Last edited by singularity; 07-15-2011 at 10:09 AM.
singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 06:14 PM   #285
pata
Zealot
pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
is there any possibility that the kobo wireless will be able to display cbz and cbr files?
pata is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
feature requests, firmware, kobo