Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-18-2010, 11:39 AM   #1
JBNY
JBNY began at the beginning.

Device: Kindel, iPad
Stanza formating issues on iPad

Does everyone else have problems with formatting using the Stanza app? I am converting mobi files to epub and I can not get Stanza to center and space text correctly. All my Titles and headings always are left justified and spacing between paragraphs and titles is always ignored. Is there something I am doing wrong or is the Stanza app just awful for epub. The epubs end up looking fine in iBooks and every other epub viewer I use just not Stanza on the iPad.
JBNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:43 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Have you checked the Stanza settings to see if Settings->Layout->Display Styles is set to ON?
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-18-2010, 12:00 PM   #3
JBNY

Yes, it checked that setting, I still have issues...

Attached is an example (first 5 chapters) epub taken from from calibre.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea - Jules Verne.epub (110.9 KB, 111 views)
Old 10-18-2010, 01:09 PM   #4
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
JBNY, Stanza is purposely programmed to ignore a lot of the formatting instructions in stylesheets. Specifically centering and margin-top and margin-bottom instructions.

The best way to get around it is to add !important next to the instruction. For example ...

text-align: center !important;

margin-bottom: 1em !important;

Using Calibre's built-in tweak epub feature, it's really fast to adjust the centering. It takes about a minute. Just open up the epub, select the stylesheet, open it up with a good text editor like the free Notepad++, then do a search and replace:

Find ... center
Replace with ... center !important

Use "whole word" in your search criteria. Then do a quick visual check to make sure that there was not a style called "center" to begin with. If there is, just delete "!important" that was added to it by the S&R. But most stylesheets I found have no style called simply "center."

The one caveat to this is if you do a subsequent epub-to-epub conversion. Calibre then strips out the !important tag and you have to put them back in. So I do the S&R as a last step.

I have put in a request for Calibre to respect the !important instruction but it is not implemented yet.
PatNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:40 PM   #5
JBNY

PatNY, That worked. I don't understand why they do that that, it makes it so difficult to get the text to look correct.

Again, thank for your help!
Advert