Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 01-01-2010, 11:15 AM   #331
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I'd like to reread Under the Volcano which I originally read back in the mid-808s. Author is Malcolm Lowry who wrote it in 1947. Don't know if that qualifies for public domain or not.

Can't find it in the Sony Store or any others.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:35 AM   #332
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
I'd like to reread Under the Volcano which I originally read back in the mid-808s. Author is Malcolm Lowry who wrote it in 1947. Don't know if that qualifies for public domain or not.
According to Wikipedia, he died in 1957, that makes his works public domain in Canada since 2008.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2010, 12:59 PM   #333
Anne Marie
Anne Marie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS600
Reader Store in Europe

I live in Belgium and registered my PRS600 in Dutch. Now it seems I cannot buy books from the American Reader Store only from bol.com which has less books at a much higher price. Anyone can help?
Anne Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 05:46 PM   #334
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Anne, in order to buy books from the Sony store, I understand you need either a US credit card or a Sony gift certificate. Members here can get gift certificates for you. Just post your request in the Sony forum or the Lounge.

I buy books for my Sony from Kobo which is based in Canada. Don't know if it would work but you might them. The link is http://www.kobobooks.com/
Old 01-04-2010, 03:38 AM   #335
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:

Can't find it in the Sony Store or any others.
It's definitely NOT in the public domain in the US.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2010, 06:34 AM   #336
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's definitely NOT in the public domain in the US.
Thanks Harry. Since it's not in eBook format, I guess I'll just have to wait or, gulp, reread the pBook version.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:10 AM   #337
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Thanks Harry. Since it's not in eBook format, I guess I'll just have to wait or, gulp, reread the pBook version.

you do realise you may have to undergo some form of therapy and re-training ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 03:27 PM   #338
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
I have found a free version of Bertrand Russell's 'History of Western Philosophy' but can't seem to work out what version would be best to convert to epub format. There is an epub version there, but it is just too poor to do much with I think (or maybe Sigil would work?).

Anyway, could somebody who is good at this kind of thing please take a look here and give me some pointers as to the best way to proceed to get a good conversion?

I have a Sony PRS-505 and have a preference for epub, but would be happy with lrf if that is an easier conversion, by the way.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:14 PM   #339
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Anyway, could somebody who is good at this kind of thing please take a look here and give me some pointers as to the best way to proceed to get a good conversion?
How badly do you want this?

The original up on Archive.org is a scan of the pbook. The other formats are all generated from scan and OCR, with all the mistakes OCR makes still there.

Your options appear to be download the PDF, OCR and do extensive editing/proofreading/formatting, then convert to ePub, or download one of the other versions and skip the OCR step.

In any case, you're looking at a fair bit of work to come up with something usable. Are you up for it?
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:22 PM   #340
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
How badly do you want this?

The original up on Archive.org is a scan of the pbook. The other formats are all generated from scan and OCR, with all the mistakes OCR makes still there.

Your options appear to be download the PDF, OCR and do extensive editing/proofreading/formatting, then convert to ePub, or download one of the other versions and skip the OCR step.

In any case, you're looking at a fair bit of work to come up with something usable. Are you up for it?
______
Dennis
I think I'm prepared to give it a go - it is my favourite book after all.

Don't really fancy the OCR bit so I guess it'll be the second of your options above. Any (free) tools etc you would recommend?
Old 01-04-2010, 04:30 PM   #341
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think I'm prepared to give it a go - it is my favourite book after all.

Quote:
Don't really fancy the OCR bit so I guess it'll be the second of your options above. Any (free) tools etc you would recommend?
Offhand, grab the ePub version and have a go with Sigil, from http://code.google.com/p/sigil/

Once you have something you think you can live with, you might be able to use Calibre from http://calibre-ebook.com/ to convert to other formats as well.

Sigil and Calibre are both free, open source tools, and the authors are MR participants and there are support forums for them on MR.
______
Dennis
Old 01-04-2010, 04:33 PM   #342
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

I will give that a go then - it won't be quick, as I'll have the Sigil learning curve to get up. I'll look on it as a labour of love and a learning opportunity
Old 01-04-2010, 04:44 PM   #343
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:

I will give that a go then - it won't be quick, as I'll have the Sigil learning curve to get up. I'll look on it as a labour of love and a learning opportunity

It wouldn't be quick in any case, as copy-reeding/proofreading is a line by line affair. I assume you have a paper volume to proof from?

Meanwhile, Sigil here opens the ePub version and displays it, so fixup should be possible

I'll happily grab a copy of your finished product.
______
Dennis
Old 01-04-2010, 04:49 PM   #344
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post

It wouldn't be quick in any case, as copy-reeding/proofreading is a line by line affair. I assume you have a paper volume to proof from?

Meanwhile, Sigil here opens the ePub version and displays it, so fixup should be possible

I'll happily grab a copy of your finished product.
______
Dennis
Yes, I have a paper copy so that'll help.

Happy to provide a copy when complete - as I said though, don't hold your breath for it!
Old 01-04-2010, 04:55 PM   #345
DMcCunney
New York Editor

Quote:
Yes, I have a paper copy so that'll help.
I thought you might, given your love for it.

Quote:
Happy to provide a copy when complete - as I said though, don't hold your breath for it!
Urk! Turning blue! Need air!

<gasp> Oh, wait. He said not to hold my breath. Never mind...
______
Dennis