Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 04-11-2007, 09:17 AM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Lightbulb General Book Uploads Posting Guidelines

This post summarises the guidelines for posting to this forum section. If we all follow them, it'll make life a lot easier. If you have any comments or suggestions for changes, please feel free to make them.

0. MobileRead follows the life+70 copyright rule.

1. This forum section is for book uploads only, the only exceptions being contributions to the "Sticky" topics at the start of the forum. Any message thread that is not an upload will be moved elsewhere or deleted, as the moderators deem appropriate.

2. When you upload, you must use a message subject of the form:

Author_surname, Author_firstname (or initials): Book_title. Version. Posting Date

Eg:

Wells, H.G.: The War of the Worlds. v1. 11 Apr 2007

The reason for this is that the thread title is automatically "parsed" to generate the index of eBooks.

3. Please attach your book to the first message in the thread. If you subsequently revise it, edit the first message and re-attach the revised book there, adding a message to the end of the thread to note that you've done so, and saying what the changes are.

4. If you are considering creating a particular eBook, please check before you start whether or not that book has already been uploaded to MobileRead (this can be done by clicking the "E-Books" link on the blue bar near the top of the screen, selecting the "Browse Latest Uploads" option, then selecting the "Search E-Books" link and entering either the title or the author into the search box). If you find that the book has already been uploaded, you are very welcome to upload a new version provided that it "adds" something different to the version already present - this might be a better layout, a new format, significant proof-reading and correction, proper dashes or "curly quotes", for example. If this is the case, when you upload your new version, please add a link to the earlier version (or simply say who the uploader was), and state in the description of your book how it differs from the earlier version.

5. Please respect copyrights, and don't post (or request) anything that's not in the public domain (life+70) without the clear advance permission of the copyright holder. Any material that clearly infringes copyright will immediately be deleted. Please immediately report any upload if you believe that it violates copyright. (Use the [!] report button.)

6. Uploads here should add some notable "value" to a PG (or whatever) original (for example: nice reformatting, artwork, a TOC, footnotes, etc etc). There's really no point in posting here something which which a poster can get from the original source in two minutes.

7. Helpful hints: When uploading a text, mentioning the sources and edition you have used and which edition you have uploaded is always appreciated. We also recommend that you state in the summation and in a preface within your edition any changes you have made to the text, for example:
  • Have you proofread the text and corrected any obvious typos such as occur routinely in OCR scans?
  • Have you changed the spelling to conform to British or U.S. norms?
  • Have you updated archaic spellings?
  • Have you standardized the punctuation?
  • Have you made changes to make the text more appealing to modern audiences?
Readers have preferences concerning these matters, and they appreciate editors who are forthcoming about such changes.

Thanks!

Editor's Note: copied to the general Uploads Help section so that the info is available where folks will likely look first, made adjustments (without deleting anything) so that it's more suited to general uploads

Last edited by pdurrant; 08-08-2019 at 03:09 AM. Reason: Clarified life+70
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 06:38 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

What is in the "Public Domain?

For the purposes of MobileRead, only works where the author has been dead for 70 or more years are in the public domain. Currently (in 2020), that's works where the author (and translator or illustrator if applicable) died before 1950. The rest of this post is written assuming it's still 2020 when you read this.

As you might expect, the legal definition is somewhat complicated, and it depends on where you are in the world - different countries have different copyright lengths.

In most of the world things enter the public domain (PD) a certain number of years after the death of the author. In most countries that number is 70 years, in a few (eg Canada) it's 50. That means all works of authors who died prior to 1950 are PD in Europe; but all works of authors who died prior to 1970 are PD in Canada.

In the US, the rules are rather more complicated, but assuming the work was first published with a valid copyright notice in the US:

- Anything published more than 95 years before the present is PD (i.e. before 1925)
- Anything published before 1964 for which copyright was NOT specifically renewed, is PD.

The net result of this is that some stuff is in the PD in the US, but not elsewhere (early works of authors who had LONG lives - eg Agatha Christie), and a LOT of stuff is PD outside the US but not in the US (works of authors published after 1924 who died before 1950/1970).

As you might expect, there are edge cases where the rules are not clear-cut. E.g. works that weren't published during the author's lifetime.

Last edited by pdurrant; 01-30-2020 at 03:55 PM. Reason: Updated for 2020
Advert
Old 01-31-2008, 11:39 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
What about languages? Are languages other than English allowed/welcome? Shouldn't the language be made explicit in the thread title?
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 11:52 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Any language is welcome! If it's not English, please specify in the thread title.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:49 PM   #5
conanfan
Me Lurk Here Long Time
conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.conanfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis; PW1+3g; Lenovo Yoga Tab 3 Pro; KF HDX 7;
What about things that are publicly available for a period of time? For instance, the public version of the Nebula Awards website (http://www.sfwa.org/awards/2008/NebFinal2007.html) contains links to freely viewable works that have been nominated for the 2008 Nebula Award. I have converted these into an ebook for my personal use, but I'm not sure that I can post it here.
conanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2008, 02:30 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by conanfan View Post
What about things that are publicly available for a period of time? For instance, the public version of the Nebula Awards website (http://www.sfwa.org/awards/2008/NebFinal2007.html) contains links to freely viewable works that have been nominated for the 2008 Nebula Award. I have converted these into an ebook for my personal use, but I'm not sure that I can post it here.
Copyrighted material which is freely downloadable from a particular place must not be reposted without the copyright holder's permission. Very often the owner of the material will wish to retain direct control over its distribution, and won't want it making available elsewhere.
Old 05-05-2008, 03:42 PM   #7
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Public Domain

I have been looking over the material at www.archive.org and much of the material in the universal library is NOT public domain in the U. S. Unfortunately only copyright actions from 1978 on are online and for the earlier ones you have to go in person to the copyright office in Washington DC!

However, for those books published between 1950 and 1964 which might be public domain you can check

http://cocatalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwe...cal&PAGE=First

to see if copyright was renewed.

My experience was that everything that really interested me had its copyright renewed.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 04:01 PM   #8
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPad Pro, Fire 8", iPhone, PaperWhite 2
I have converted a file from the e-Sword Bible program (a Topic Note file) that was converted from several html files freely available on the web.
The book is "Judah's Sceptre and Joseph's Birthright" published first in 1902 by J. H. Allan.

The web page contains no notice of a copyright. I have the hardcover book published by Destiny Publishers that contains no copyright notice and whose web page is 2 years old.

This is a fascinating account of the "lost" ten tribes of Israel and makes great reading whether you think it history or myth.
Can I upload the lrf book?
The Old Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 05:48 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I'm afraid that it's your responsibility to ascertain whether or not what you have is in the public domain. It would be a lot clearer if you had used the original HTML sources, rather than extracting them from the "e-Sword Bible program" that you mention. All I can really suggest is that you contact the authors of this program, and ask them whether they have any objections to your redistribution of material from their program.
Old 06-05-2008, 12:44 PM   #10
The Old Man
Fanatic
The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Old Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm afraid that it's your responsibility to ascertain whether or not what you have is in the public domain. It would be a lot clearer if you had used the original HTML sources, rather than extracting them from the "e-Sword Bible program" that you mention. All I can really suggest is that you contact the authors of this program, and ask them whether they have any objections to your redistribution of material from their program.
Thanks for the reply. I guess I didn't make myself clear. The file from the e-Sword program is not part of that program and the author of e-Sword has no interest in that file, it simply works under his program as do many other Bible translations, commentaries, dictionaries and other historical writings. This would be similar to someone writing their own recipe for calibre and using it within that program. Kovid has no interest in the recipe other than someone may send it to him and he may choose to use it or not.

I can find no copyright notice on the web page with the book, no copyright notice in the hard-cover book and no copyright notice listed in the e-Sword file. I suspect someone just converted the web page to the e-Sword file.

In any case I will think about it, search a bit more for info on that 1902 work and PERHAPS upload it with the conditions on copyright mentioned in my upload post. From what I have seen so far it is in public domain but this small publisher grabbed the work and produced the hard cover that I bought. Similar to folks printing the KJV Bible. Unless they add their own commentary or something special it is not under copyright. I suspect Tyndale and Cloverleaf do not object
Old 06-05-2008, 01:52 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

If what you have was published in the USA prior to 1923, then you're OK - it's automatically in the public domain (in the USA).
Old 06-06-2008, 06:51 AM   #12
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Book source

http://www.eternalthroneofdavid.com/jsjb.zip offers this book in html form. They say, "We offered the free on-line book Judah's Sceptre/Joseph's Birthright by J. H. Allen that we compared to as the "Bible" of the Lost Tribes teaching. Now, since the KJV Bible is public domain (free of copyright restrictions like Allen's book)...."

It is in chunks by chapter, it appears, but it seems to be the original without any additions.

Judging from the various web entries, this appears to be the series of beliefs mentioned in No Highway by Nevil Shute....Now if only Shute were available in Sony Reader form, even with DRM. Sigh.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:46 AM   #13
The Old Man
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If what you have was published in the USA prior to 1923, then you're OK - it's automatically in the public domain (in the USA).
Yes, those HTML files are the book. Copyright date is 1917, first published in 1902. I will upload it.
Old 07-12-2009, 02:54 PM   #14
tobor
tobor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
I goofed entering the subject of the thread for a book I uploaded in the "Other Books" area. (Sterne, Laurence: Tristram Shandy Volume1. v1.5 July 2000). I forgot the format in the thread namein the I also have a revised version of that book. Also I have and updated version of this book. Should I start a new thread with the correct subject name?

NEVER MIND, figured out how to change the Subject line

Last edited by tobor; 07-12-2009 at 03:00 PM. Reason: I'm an idion
tobor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 03:01 PM   #15
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobor View Post
I goofed entering the subject of the thread for a book I uploaded in the "Other Books" area. (Sterne, Laurence: Tristram Shandy Volume1. v1.5 July 2000). I forgot the format in the thread namein the I also have a revised version of that book. Also I have and updated version of this book. Should I start a new thread with the correct subject name?
it's easier just to modify the title. you should be able to do that yourself i believe, but if you get stuck just ask for some help from a mod ; you can do that by clicking on "report post" (the little blue button to the right of the karma button, with an exclamation point in it) and in the message say what you'd like and what the new title should be.

for the revised version of the book, just use the "manage attachments" button to delete the current attachment and add your new version. most people mention what the changes are and how many downloads there had been of the previous version, and add a new post at the end as well so the thread will get bumped to the top of the list, and people who are subscribed to the thread will see it.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote