Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-24-2010, 11:01 AM   #61
troymc
Groupie
troymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505 + B&N Nook + Motion LE1700 + Motorola Xoom Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
If 38% of folks bought an iPad with the intention of reading -- does it take away that that's not the ONLY thing they intend to do with it?
Only when you try to use that for basing your future prognostications upon:

Quote:
We are discussing this survey, and it said 38%. That's not a majority. But with 3 million sold in 80 days, that's 1 million folks who have an ipad primarily for reading -- and there will be 3 million such folks by the end of the year by that same number. And 7 or 8 million by the end of next year.
- emphasis mine

7 or 8 million people using iPads primarily for reading? by the end of next year?

You seem to have some reason to believe that this initial sales spike is going to continue unabated at current levels for the foreseeable future - at least for the next 18 months or so - care to share?

Troy
troymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:02 AM   #62
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
I will probably look hard at the iPad again in the next couple months to completely replace my E-Ink reader for heavy reading use. I will use its other functions, and will certainly play with it, but the primary reason I am considering one is reading.
That's why I replaced my Kindle with the Ipad. Now I don't need a clip on light to read in poorly lit environments and yes, I definitely "read" lots more news stories with apps and through the web browser. I rarely play games (maybe mahjong occasionally) but I do "read" on it constantly. I really like the new upgrade to iBooks with the sepia mode, very nice! And I use the white on black for bedtime reading after lights out.
So, yes, I am one of those who bought it for a reading device. Spendy, yes, but i use it constantly and rarely pull out my laptop. I am sure Android tablets will offer more choices later on this year. I think tablets are finally becoming more mainstream, and that's a good thing!
No, it doesn't have flash but I really haven't missed it.
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:11 AM   #63
troymc
Groupie
troymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enoughtroymc will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-505 + B&N Nook + Motion LE1700 + Motorola Xoom Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAstoria View Post
yes, I definitely "read" lots more news stories with apps and through the web browser. I rarely play games (maybe mahjong occasionally) but I do "read" on it constantly.
This brings up a very good point. What do we mean when we say we "read" with a device?

My default assumed definition has always been limited to "ebooks". So maybe that's an error/limitation of my point of view. I don't consider hitting a newspaper or magazine website as "reading" - that's web browsing. But maybe others are using the word differently than I do - some may consider reading email as "ereading".

Troy
troymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:20 AM   #64
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by troymc View Post
This brings up a very good point. What do we mean when we say we "read" with a device?

My default assumed definition has always been limited to "ebooks". So maybe that's an error/limitation of my point of view. I don't consider hitting a newspaper or magazine website as "reading" - that's web browsing. But maybe others are using the word differently than I do - some may consider reading email as "ereading".

Troy
Academic journals, novels, and poetry anthologies for me. Perhaps those aren't "reading" to the true connoisseurs of the ebook medium, but I feel comfortable calling them reading. I wouldn't be offended by calling periodicals or even long-form web articles reading either, but I don't really have any need for a device for that. I just need a device that will handle novels, scholarly articles, and poetry collections well.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:55 AM   #65
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by troymc View Post
Only when you try to use that for basing your future prognostications upon:

- emphasis mine

7 or 8 million people using iPads primarily for reading? by the end of next year?[/quote]

All we can do is project when speaking of the future.

Quote:
You seem to have some reason to believe that this initial sales spike is going to continue unabated at current levels for the foreseeable future - at least for the next 18 months or so - care to share?
Yes, I think that the sales of the iPad are increasing from launch, they haven't dropped a bit. I think a million units of month is going to be sustainable. That leads to something close to 20 million ipads by the end of next year.

Then there are the forthcoming Android tablets....not to mention phones with larger screens like the 5inch Dell Streak.

It's seeing the writing on the wall that has Amazon, B&N and Sony dropping their prices. And there's more price dropping ahead. If not by this Christmas, then next, we'll have $100 eink readers from these major companies.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:37 PM   #66
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post
I'm sorry, but this guy was calling all ereaders "crippled" devices. I'm very happy with my Kindle, thank you very much, for all I want to do is READ BOOKS, and I don't want to pay $500 - $1000 for a "walled garden" media device and the associated fees from ATT.

If anyone hasn't noticed, there are some nice ereaders now for $150-190, and they work very well indeed.
But compare the iPad to the DX and you'll find the DX loses out big time. The iPad doesn't compare really to the 6" readers. But to the expensive larger screen readers it compares.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:35 PM   #67
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
The iPad is a better all around device.
Dedicated e-readers are better dedicated e-readers.

I feel I've said this before.
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 01:44 PM   #68
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorino View Post
The iPad is a better all around device.
Dedicated e-readers are better dedicated e-readers.

I feel I've said this before.
Unless the iPad is a better dedicated reader, which it can be.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:35 PM   #69
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Unless the iPad is a better dedicated reader, which it can be.
not sure how it can be. After you get past the "oohhh's and awwwwes" it's still words to be read which is next to impossible outdoors and is still a an LCD Reflective backlit screen.

I think it all depends on a person reading habits.

Light to moderate, this should be just fine, since you're more than likely not going to be reading for a few hours a session on it. But for sitting on a couch or a chair or sitting on a train, it works nice.

Moderate to heavy, the iPad just doesn't really work for the majority. If you are a heavy reader then you read wherever you go, outdoors, beach,pool, in bed, on the way to work, even grocery shopping etc. ipad fails alot of test in this department.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:39 PM   #70
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But compare the iPad to the DX and you'll find the DX loses out big time. The iPad doesn't compare really to the 6" readers. But to the expensive larger screen readers it compares.

this is true, general public will choose the iPad almost everytime at that price point. Amazon is going to have rethink what they are going to do with the DX, either drastically cut it's price or discontinue.

This size is an area I do agree that the iPad is a serious threat.
Old 06-24-2010, 03:12 PM   #71
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
not sure how it can be. After you get past the "oohhh's and awwwwes" it's still words to be read which is next to impossible outdoors and is still a an LCD Reflective backlit screen.
I read outdoors in shade just fine with my iPad. And inside -- it's a LOT better than a book (I'll assume that there's nothing better about an eink device than a book as far as reading in the dark goes).

So for my uses -- and I'd wager most people's uses -- the ipad is indeed a much better reading device than an eink reader -- in places where people do most of their reading.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 03:23 PM   #72
LDBoblo
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
Reflective backlit?

Quote:
I think it all depends on a person reading habits.
Truism.

Quote:
Light to moderate, this should be just fine, since you're more than likely not going to be reading for a few hours a session on it. But for sitting on a couch or a chair or sitting on a train, it works nice.

Moderate to heavy, the iPad just doesn't really work for the majority. If you are a heavy reader then you read wherever you go, outdoors, beach,pool, in bed, on the way to work, even grocery shopping etc. ipad fails alot of test in this department.
Oh, so by reading you mean slow, linear, vegetative fiction reading. I gotcha. Yes, different habits indeed. My Sony is almost satisfactory for disposable fiction, but I have greater reading demands than that, and for me the iPad seems to be at least a potentially superior device for all the heavy reading I do. I hope that doesn't sound like I'm belittling disposable fiction; I respect it every bit as much as folks here seem to respect periodical reading.

Edit: Woops, sorry about the arrogance. Seems to be a little bit contagious.

Last edited by LDBoblo; 06-24-2010 at 03:34 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:01 PM   #73
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
Reflective backlit?

Truism.

Oh, so by reading you mean slow, linear, vegetative fiction reading. I gotcha. Yes, different habits indeed. My Sony is almost satisfactory for disposable fiction, but I have greater reading demands than that, and for me the iPad seems to be at least a potentially superior device for all the heavy reading I do. I hope that doesn't sound like I'm belittling disposable fiction; I respect it every bit as much as folks here seem to respect periodical reading.

Edit: Woops, sorry about the arrogance. Seems to be a little bit contagious.

the screen is reflective and the LCD is backlit,

For peridocals, Oh I agree, the iPad is fantastic and especially for magazines. In fact in another thread someone wanted a recommendation for an e-reader and said newspapers and magazines will be the primary use for the reader, I recommended the iPad.

Listen guys, I'm not hattin on the iPad, as I said before I will plan on buying one or one of it's competitiors, if they ever decide to come out.

My point is alot (is that better) of pundits and users of the iPad have written off the e-reader and now we must all Hail the iPad. when in fact readers who are ready to go digital perfer the e-ink and would rather buy a Nook, Kindle or Sony, BeBook or what have you.

People who want funness, browsing, vidoes and people to grab a book or a magazine from time to time buy an iPad. And my point is the ones that are buying the iPad would in most cases not have bought a Nook or Kindle in the first place.

So it drive me crazy when reading blogs on how the iPad is stealing all the e-readers away from dedicated e-ink readers.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:03 PM   #74
boswd
Banned

Quote:
I read outdoors in shade just fine with my iPad. And inside -- it's a LOT better than a book (I'll assume that there's nothing better about an eink device than a book as far as reading in the dark goes).

So for my uses -- and I'd wager most people's uses -- the ipad is indeed a much better reading device than an eink reader -- in places where people do most of their reading.

Lee
I can read mine in direct sun and it performs even better, I can read mine one handed on the subway for my enitire 30 min ride into work, Mine is much more portable for on the go.

As far as reading then the lights go out? Ohhh Noo how did we ever survive this before steve Jobs saved the day with the iPad,

I mean Centuries people used nighlights or candles

THANK YOU STEVE JOBS, WE ARE ALL SAVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( Ok I'm sorry that was a little over the top snarky, but come on that can't be your ace in the hole. We've been reading with light for centuries. besides I have a nightlight to read with and actually reading an lcd screen in the dark causes, at least my eyes extreme eye strain. that is very hard to do for extended periods of time) You're were not designed for that type of strain

Last edited by boswd; 06-24-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Old 06-24-2010, 07:06 PM   #75
MsAstoria
Evangelist
MsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipediaMsAstoria knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle Fire HDX, iPhone (yes, I read on my phone)
And my point is the ones that are buying the iPad would in most cases not have bought a Nook or Kindle in the first place.

Not true, I've had both a Sony reader and a Kindle. I just feel that the Ipad is a definite progression from those readers! It frankly offers me way more content than just the "plain Jane" readers. I WANT do both, read my ebooks and read web content online, so in some respects it has replaced both my Kindle and my laptop. Of course it doesn't completely replace my laptop, but does allow me to read my email and check this site for some stimulating conversations! How great is that?
MsAstoria is offline   Reply With Quote