Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-02-2010, 12:48 PM   #31
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinParish View Post
Well, maybe the world listens, but I certainly don't. She shamelessly promotes pseudoscience like anti-vaccine campaigns, detox diets, psychic healing and I don't know what else. If that's the kind of opinion leader we have in this country, it's no wonder we're in trouble...
In one form or another, about one third of this country believes that Sept. 11 was panned by the US and/or George Bush. Mental illness, stupidity, or just plain unreasoning hatred can only account for so much. Where we once had small towns, or at least small neighborhoods, such nutjobs would be ignored and shunned. Now they congregate in ever larger numbers passing on their idiocy as if it was not only common knowledge, but something gained by deep insight. It's enough to make me an admirer of the Flat Earth Society.

What you're complaining of is common and wide spread. I wouldn't blame Oprah. Compared to many, I think that she may be one of the better ones. But then I've never watched her for more than a minute or two at a time. And not that many times at that.

In the end, I'm not so much praising her, as acknowledging what I think has been her contribution to the spread of reading. And probably an impetus to the spread of ereaders.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 02:18 PM   #32
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Thanks for that link, SOS!

I had heard of the Flat Earth Society in high school (the 60s), but it was never clear to me whether they were on the level, or just a drinking club of guys who liked a good joke.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:09 PM   #33
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
This thread, although quite old, saves me the trouble of having to create one titled, The Ugly Truth - Oprah and Book Clubs. Why has the average reader or viewer become so dependent on book clubs for recommendations? This is not a concept that originated with Oprah. Historically, we have had clubs sponsored by Reader's Digest, Literary Guild, Book of the Month club, the Science Fiction Book Club, etc. Oprah took it to a national TV level, followed by an online version. Like Hugh Hefner, Oprah gets to pick her favorite authors, and that means that anything by Toni Morrison or Bill Cosby is at the top of the list. While there has been controversy about her selections, overall her books are readable, and semi-respectable.

http://www.altweeklies.com/aan/oprah...ory?oid=828937

But, too much power in the hands of one person is not good for those outside her chosen circle. I won't be joining her book club in the near future, but I am tempted by the SFBC 5 books for $1 introductory offer. Please save me. Tell me that the MRBC (Mobileread Book Club) is about to be created! Books chosen by real readers for fellow readers.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:49 PM   #34
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Abe View Post
Tell me that the MRBC (Mobileread Book Club) is about to be created! Books chosen by real readers for fellow readers.
Already there. Click this link: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=245
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:24 PM   #35
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Abe View Post
Why has the average reader or viewer become so dependent on book clubs for recommendations?
I'm not entirely sure the average reader has.
I think the number of readers who depend on book clubs is probably pretty small compared to the number of readers. And out of the ones that do happen to use book clubs for recommendations, many seem to use them to augment their reading; rather than relying on club recommendations exclusively.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:32 PM   #36
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
[QUOTE=Fat Abe;2441432]This thread, although quite old, saves me the trouble of having to create one titled, The Ugly Truth - Oprah and Book Clubs.

Thread is created. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=207145

I quoted your message to get it started and added in my own reply. This thread can now remain dormant like it should have.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:35 PM   #37
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Thread is created. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=207145

I quoted your message to get it started and added in my own reply. This thread can now remain dormant like it should have.
I like this thread. It's got that homey, lived-in, comfortable feeling. Much better than that cold, empty new-fangled one.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:38 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I like this thread. It's got that homey, lived-in, comfortable feeling. Much better than that cold, empty new one.
This thread has that empty there's been a mass murder here and the place is just empty and creepy feel to it.

The new thread has that let's build a new home where we can make it our own and enjoy it feel to it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:40 PM   #39
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I'm taking my ball and going home.