Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #1
everklear
Enthusiast
everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kobo
Touch in the tub.

Sounds dirty, but it's only a description of what I accidentally did. Reader set down near tub. Knocked in while getting dressed for the day.

Currently the reader is on day two resting in a bag full of rice. Theory is that the dry grain absorbs the moisture. I'm afraid to pull it out and try it. I may wait another day or two.

I sense another reader purchase in my near future.
everklear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:24 PM   #2
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Might try adding some heat to increase the rate of evaporation. Not enught t meklt plastic or solder of course...
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:36 PM   #3
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
I would remove the back cover and dry the inside with a hair blower (only with cold air).
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There are things I never do with my electronics and resting them on an edge where they are not fully secure is one of them. Too much chance of things falling off that way and I don't want to be looking to have to buy new stuff to replace stuff I'd stupidly broken.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 03:52 PM   #5
everklear
Enthusiast
everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.everklear shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
I would remove the back cover and dry the inside with a hair blower (only with cold air).
Good call. I'll search back cover removal for technique. Any tips?
Old 01-03-2013, 03:53 PM   #6
everklear
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There are things I never do with my electronics and resting them on an edge where they are not fully secure is one of them. Too much chance of things falling off that way and I don't want to be looking to have to buy new stuff to replace stuff I'd stupidly broken.
Yeah, well, live and learn. I like to read in the tub and am pretty careful about it. The one time I rested it on a shelf nearby instead of on the floor.... Then there's the "I stepped on it" factor.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:02 PM   #7
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Never done that, but I did spill a hefty amount of beer on my Touch (before I invested in a cover) once. All was fine, except for what looked like an ink stain I got underneath the screen. Had to play around with font size and line spacing with every book to try and get that stain in between the lines.

Obviously, this is more serious, but I hope there's not too much damage. If there is, maybe it'll give you an excuse to upgrade to the Glo. Whenever I want a new phone, I hope for my current one to be damaged, but of course it never happens when you actually want it to.
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:10 PM   #8
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobokobe View Post
Never done that, but I did spill a hefty amount of beer on my Touch (before I invested in a cover) once. All was fine, except for what looked like an ink stain I got underneath the screen. Had to play around with font size and line spacing with every book to try and get that stain in between the lines.

Obviously, this is more serious, but I hope there's not too much damage. If there is, maybe it'll give you an excuse to upgrade to the Glo. Whenever I want a new phone, I hope for my current one to be damaged, but of course it never happens when you actually want it to.
A beer spill is more serious. Not only could you damage the Kobo, but you lose the beer!
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:11 PM   #9
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by everklear View Post
Good call. I'll search back cover removal for technique. Any tips?

I never opened the Touch myself. But I recall people reporting that they did it with their finger nails. Somebody recommended to start close to the on/off slider. I could imaging using a guitar pick or something like that as a tool.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:38 PM   #10
Danger
Evangelist
Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Danger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2 (retired), Kobo Touch (passed to the wife), KGlo, Galaxy TabPro
I don't recommend this at all but you could drop it on a corner. I've dropped my touch several times, each time it landed on a corner the back would pop off.
Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #11
kobokobe
I am what I am
kobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfoldedkobokobe reads XML... blindfolded

Location: An enormous, polar bear infested igloo that we call north of the 49.
Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogle View Post
A beer spill is more serious. Not only could you damage the Kobo, but you lose the beer!
That is some fine analysis right there.
kobokobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #12
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
I never opened the Touch myself. But I recall people reporting that they did it with their finger nails. Somebody recommended to start close to the on/off slider. I could imaging using a guitar pick or something like that as a tool.
Guitar picks work great. The thinner the better, although if they are too thin they may break.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:22 PM   #13
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
Quote:
Originally Posted by everklear View Post
Sounds dirty, but it's only a description of what I accidentally did. Reader set down near tub. Knocked in while getting dressed for the day.
Gravity sucks!
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #14
dakini
not "it"
dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 7th gen
here's to crossing fingers your reader perks up again after a couple days in rice and in the airing closet. i've had good luck with sorting electronics that way. hope you have the same!
dakini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:30 PM   #15
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
I had a low-end Nokia mobile phone go through not only a full wash cycle with detergent, but a few minutes of a dryer cycle as well! Opened it up, pulled the battery, and let everything dry out for a couple days, and it was if nothing had ever happened.

(Yes, there's a reason my kid doesn't have an iPhone yet...)
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote