Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 04:09 PM   #31
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
Are you running sigil or sigil.sh ? Try the other
I have no sigil.sh. Only sigil. Which gets copied to /usr/local/bin when running "make install" (along with the support files that get copied to /usr/local/share and /usr/local/applications). I'm frankly a bit baffled.

Again, the sigil binary runs fine in the build directory (but can't find the dictionaries of course), but not after "make install" moves the binary to /usr/local/bin.

I see that the sigil.sh file is still buried in the Resource_Files folder of the source, but the "make install" target doesn't appear to have anything to do with that file anymore. From Sigil/CMakeLists.txt:
Code:
if( UNIX AND NOT APPLE )
    install( TARGETS ${PROJECT_NAME} RUNTIME DESTINATION ${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/bin )
    install( FILES ${LINUX_DESKTOP_FILE} DESTINATION ${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/share/applications )
    install( FILES ${LINUX_DESKTOP_ICON_FILE} DESTINATION ${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/share/pixmaps RENAME sigil.png )
    install( FILES ${QM_FILES} DESTINATION ${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/share/sigil/translations )
    install( FILES ${DIC_FILES} DESTINATION ${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/share/sigil/hunspell_dictionaries )
    install( FILES ${EXAMPLE_FILES} DESTINATION ${CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX}/share/sigil/examples )
endif()
I assumed the sigil.sh script was a vestigial portion of an older version/process. Should I be manually doing something with it? I just built/installed/ran from git a week or two ago and didn't run into this issue.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:33 PM   #32
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Never mind. Totally my fault.

I forgot about the change that made Qt-4.8 mandatory. I've compiled Qt-4.8.2 and I can build against 4.8.2, but as far as my system-wide settings are concerned... Qt-4.7.4 still rules the roost, so to speak.

I'll just have to remember that Sigil's "make install" doesn't do me a lot of good and go back to using the bash script to launch Sigil and tell it where my custom Qt-4.8 libs live.

Sorry for the confusion -- and now on to playing!!
Advert
Old 09-22-2012, 08:29 PM   #33
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
I assumed the sigil.sh script was a vestigial portion of an older version/process. Should I be manually doing something with it?
It's not necessary and it will be removed from the source tree shortly.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:08 AM   #34
Martina Schein
eBook-Reader-Fan
Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O 2nd Edition
Very good job! :-)

Hello software engineers,

you all have done a very good job.

What I have seen until now on the fly, this are my favorites of the changes in the beta 0.5.905:
  • The error in the custom dictionary with the umlauts and other characters has been fixed. Now it works fine.
  • In the last beta version 0.5.902 the cursor jumped after saving the document always back to the beginning, which was a real nuisance. This does not happen anymore with this beta.
  • Great work in spell check. I have change the shortcode from »Strg+Alt+s« (to go to the next mistake or unknown term) in »F7«. Additionally, I have set the shortcodes »F4« to add words to the user dictionary and »F12« to ignore words. In this way, the spelling checker works almost as fast as in Word, OpenOffice, etc.
  • One feature I've been waiting for has been realized with this new beta version. Now, anyone who wants it, choose the font and font size individually for both the book and code view. It's great.

My decision made years ago, to use Sigil as epub editor, was a very good choice.

Thanks a lot for your work.

Kind Regards
Martina
Old 09-23-2012, 08:15 AM   #35
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Win 7 problems

I am using Win 7. I installed the win 64bit and then the 32bit.

Sigil 6.0 beta chokes on the attached html file.

If I load a html file that runs on 5.9 everything is ok.

Would someone please tell me what I have done wrong.

Thanks
Attached Files
File Type: rar The black poodle, and other tales.rar (128.2 KB, 127 views)
Advert
Old 09-23-2012, 09:01 AM   #36
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@Martina - thanks very much for posting your feedback - the more the merrier please!

@crutledge - I can replicate that issue with loading that file, so it isn't just you. We shall take a look into it. I know one of the problem areas that remains in Sigil is the third party Xerces component which is used for xhtml validation (frankly it is dreadful, but a better long term replacement isn't part of this release). There must be something about the content in that file which is tripping this Sigil release up - we'll see if we can figure out the what and whether we can do anything about it...

Edit: If you remove that xml and DTD declaration from the file it will load. We will look further into it but that should keep you going in the meantime until we identify something better Sigil can do about it...

Last edited by kiwidude; 09-23-2012 at 09:30 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 09:37 AM   #37
Martina Schein
eBook-Reader-Fan
Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Martina Schein ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O 2nd Edition
With pleasure

@ kiwidude

Here is a futher point which works right now in this beta-version:

It relates in turn to the point spell check.
First I select the mode »Case Sensitive«. In the last beta 0.5.902 was a bug.
If I'm correct, for example, a lowercase word, after this I could not correct a uppercase word. Sigil has the word that I had written in uppercase, immediately converted to a lowercase.

Earlier, I corrected with the new version 2 eBooks and everything has gone.

By the way ... my computer is running Windows 7/64 bit and I use the 64 bit version of Sigil.

Kind Regards
Martina
Old 09-23-2012, 09:38 AM   #38
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just talking to you guys works miracles.

The first line in the file shown below was the problem. I have never seen this before.

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="no"?>
who knows what evil....
Old 09-23-2012, 10:30 AM   #39
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@crutledge - that file doesn't load for me on Sigil 0.5.3 either, or indeed on various intermediate stages of builds of 0.5.9, so I'm not convinced this is something new? You implied that it did work previously in some Sigil version, can you retry with that specific file and confirm that?

Also how did that html get generated - is it something that got manually edited, produced by some other tool or ??? I don't know enough about the html spec to know about that combination of headers as to what is valid or not. Certainly Sigil produces a subtly different html header when imported without those lines in it (different xhtml version/html namespace attributes), which it is able to handle import ok.

Just wanting to make sure we haven't introduced a regression. Certainly it would be nicer if Sigil didn't just quit after displaying its failure to parse a particular html file. But that is one of the few known issues we haven't tried to tackle - yet anyway.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:13 AM   #40
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina Schein View Post
Thanks a lot for your work.
You're welcome.
Old 09-23-2012, 11:49 AM   #41
elibrarian
Imperfect Perfectionist
elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by crutledge View Post
Just talking to you guys works miracles.

The first line in the file shown below was the problem. I have never seen this before.

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" standalone="no"?>
who knows what evil....
The dash in "utf-8" in your original file is an emdash ... should be an ordinary hyphen, then it works )
Old 09-23-2012, 12:56 PM   #42
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by elibrarian View Post
The dash in "utf-8" in your original file is an emdash ... should be an ordinary hyphen, then it works )
This is a long standing issue caused by Xerces.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:25 PM   #43
crutledge
eBook FANatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by elibrarian View Post
Thank you, sir.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:05 PM   #44
crutledge
eBook FANatic

Cover not specified

Someone else may have run into this.

Converting an epub built in V5.9 with Kindlegen, an error is reported that "Cover is not specified".

V5.3 makes the following references to the cover
Code:
<meta content="cover.jpg" name="cover" />
<item href=l"Images/cover.jpg" id="cover.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg" />
<reference href="Text/The%20Giant%27s%20Robe.htm" title="Cover" type="cover" />
V5.9 makes the following references to the cover
Code:
<item href="Images/cover.jpg" id="cover.jpg" media-type="image/jpeg" />
<reference href="Text/The%20Giant%27s%20Robe.htm" title="Cover" type="cover" />>
When I insert the following into the V5.9 content.opf
Code:
<meta content="cover.jpg" name="cover" />
every thing works fine.
Old 09-23-2012, 03:17 PM   #45
signum
Zealot
signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.signum calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: none
Kubuntu 12.04 "precise" 64-bit

Downloaded, compiled and installed Sigil 0.5.905 without apparent error. (The messages were flying by so fast on my screen, I couldn't read them all. I assume that if anything were *really* wrong it would have bailed out early with an error message.) Launched without hiccups and read a test file. Spell check looks a lot more usable -- thanks. I also am very glad to see the "inspector" incorporated. Just having the computed css available will help a lot.

Here's the only glitch I have found: I try to do a multi-select in preparation for a bulk rename by clicking on the first file name then shift-clicking on the last file name. The range of file names is highlighted in blue briefly, then reverts to only the last file clicked, preventing me from specifing a group of files. End of game, right? Well, not quite. I accidently discovered that if I click and drag a tiny bit on the first file name, then release it on top of where it was before, I can then shift-click on the last file name and this time the entire range stays selected. So, there's a work-around but it shouldn't be necessary.
Closed Thread