Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-23-2015, 02:57 PM   #61
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Check the italic version to see if it got goofed and really is the bold italic version.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 03:06 PM   #62
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I just double checked with firmware 3.18.0. Reading ePub via RMDSK, Bookerly works as it should. Italic shows up as regular italic. I am using the eInk version of Bookerly and not the LCD version. So maybe it is the LCD version that has this issue with italics.
I'm also using Bookerly on my Kobo Glo HD, but I downloaded it from the Goodreads site. I don't know how to retrieve it from my Voyage. Can anyone advise me?
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-23-2015, 04:09 PM   #63
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Judging by comparative images on the net, it's extremely similar to Caecilia.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 01:55 AM   #64
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
I'm also using Bookerly on my Kobo Glo HD, but I downloaded it from the Goodreads site. I don't know how to retrieve it from my Voyage. Can anyone advise me?
Hmmm... I did this under a Linux VM (Mint 17.2) to make it easier to handle the disk images so YMMV.

Download the firmware for the Voyage v5.6.5 and rename to 565.bin after the download.

Download the Kindletool package from here: KindleTool: Create/Unpack Kindle update files.

Unpack the Kindletool package.

Place the Kindletool files and the 565.bin file in a directory of your choice --I left everything in the Downloads directory. Create a directory called temp in that folder.

Open Terminal and cd to the Downloads directory.

Enter the following command: ./kindletool extract 565.bin temp

Once Kindletool is finished, you can close the Terminal window.

Open the Downloads/Temp directory. Double click on the rootfs.img.gz file. Extract the fwo-rootfs.img file (I placed it in the Downloads directory).

Right click on the fwo-rootfs.img file and use Open With to select Disk Image Mounter.

Once the image is mounted, open usr/java/lib directory. You should see a file called fonts.cramfs.img (or you can search for the file). Once you have located the file, right click and Open With => Disk Image Mounter. You should now see the font files. Copy the 4 Bookerly files to a convenient location, compress them into a .tar.gz file and email them to yourself, etc.

I found the files were named properly for use with my Kobo so bold, italic, bold-italic and regular all worked but after a short while, I went back to Charis SIL. Baby duckling syndrome? Perhaps.

Good luck!
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 02:01 AM   #65
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
is it really that complex. i.e. you cant just usb-connect to a voyage & go look for font files with explorer ?- that is how i found the Kindle fire tablet versions
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2015, 02:09 AM   #66
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
is it really that complex. i.e. you cant just usb-connect to a voyage & go look for font files with explorer ?- that is how i found the Kindle fire tablet versions
It'd be like looking for the Kobo built in font files when the only partition exposed by the USB connection is the FAT32 partition.
Old 10-24-2015, 11:15 AM   #67
Desdinova
Eternal light
Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura, Touch, H2O - now Aura One and Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post

Right click on the fwo-rootfs.img file and use Open With to select Disk Image Mounter.

Good luck!
Any idea how to mount them on OSX - Disk Image Mounter says no file system?Ta
Desdinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 01:09 PM   #68
Desdinova
Eternal light
Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desdinova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura, Touch, H2O - now Aura One and Kindle Oasis 3
Sorted now! Did the same as you, Linux box
Desdinova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 01:15 PM   #69
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Hmmm... I did this under a Linux VM (Mint 17.2) to make it easier to handle the disk images so YMMV.

Download the firmware for the Voyage v5.6.5 and rename to 565.bin after the download.

Download the Kindletool package from here: KindleTool: Create/Unpack Kindle update files.

Unpack the Kindletool package.

Place the Kindletool files and the 565.bin file in a directory of your choice --I left everything in the Downloads directory. Create a directory called temp in that folder.

Open Terminal and cd to the Downloads directory.

Enter the following command: ./kindletool extract 565.bin temp

Once Kindletool is finished, you can close the Terminal window.

Open the Downloads/Temp directory. Double click on the rootfs.img.gz file. Extract the fwo-rootfs.img file (I placed it in the Downloads directory).

Once the image is mounted, open usr/java/lib directory. You should see a file called fonts.cramfs.img (or you can search for the file). Once you have located the file, right click and Open With => Disk Image Mounter. You should now see the font files. Copy the 4 Bookerly files to a convenient location, compress them into a .tar.gz file and email them to yourself, etc.

I found the files were named properly for use with my Kobo so bold, italic, bold-italic and regular all worked but after a short while, I went back to Charis SIL. Baby duckling syndrome? Perhaps.

Good luck!
Thanks so much for posting the instructions. I'll need to be in a brave mood to try it though. I'm on Windows.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 08:09 PM   #70
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
Thanks so much for posting the instructions. I'll need to be in a brave mood to try it though. I'm on Windows.
Under Windows, use the Windows version of Kindletools to unpack the .bin file and 7Zip to extract fwo_rootfs.img file from the rootfs.img.gz file. At this point, check what version of 7Zip you are using. If you are using v15.09, you can open the fwo_rootfs.img file with 7Zip, browse to the fonts.cramfs.img file in usr/java/lib, open the fonts.cramfs.img file within 7Zip and extract the font files. See attached thumbnail as an example.

Somewheres between 7Zip v15.01 and v15.09, the ability to open Linux disk image and VMWare VMDK files was added. I went the Linux route since 7Zip v15 is still a beta and some comments about issues in the discussion thread. After I had both sets of font files, I compared the SHA1 checksums and they matched so I feel safe enough going with either method.

And yes, computers are my favourite toys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle_fonts.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	196.9 KB
ID:	143146  

Last edited by DNSB; 10-24-2015 at 08:28 PM.
Old 10-24-2015, 08:15 PM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Similar, but nicer to read with. It's less slabish looking than Caecilla.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2015, 08:45 PM   #72
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
Caecilia has the slab style square serifs while Bookerly has an irregularly shaped serif (humanist style). Not sure if I really like some of the choices such as no serif on the bottom leg of the k or the 4 but I do find it easier on my eyes than Caecilia. However, I've found that choices in typography tend to very personal, fonts that I find very pleasing are cold pancakes and no honey to other people.

Last edited by DNSB; 10-25-2015 at 03:45 AM.
Old 10-25-2015, 02:39 AM   #73
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
I find them extremely different.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 02:41 PM   #74
isaacbh
Connoisseur
isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.isaacbh makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
Is Bookerly lighter than Bitter? I think Bitter is the best (free) slab serif. (although right now I'm giving EB Garamond a try).
isaacbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2015, 04:31 PM   #75
GERGE
Guru
GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GERGE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra
Bookerly isn't a slab serif; but Bitter is very good, I agree.

EB Garamond, I believe, is the best free typeface.
GERGE is offline   Reply With Quote