Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 09-02-2016, 01:12 AM   #91
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Quote:
Originally Posted by freekobo View Post
PM SENT with download for it.
Great! Thank you very much for the help!
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 05:15 PM   #92
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjd View Post
I extracted this font from firmware update 5.8.2 (Kindle 8th Gen / and Oasis too) but found the font version 1.000 only.
1.0 is the first version of Bookerly and that is for LCD screens.

What is the location in the Kindle firmware you are getting Bookerly?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:06 AM   #93
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
1.0 is the first version of Bookerly and that is for LCD screens.

What is the location in the Kindle firmware you are getting Bookerly?
I downloaded the firmware from this location:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_Firmwar...asis_5.8.2.bin
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:56 PM   #94
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
I have a general fonts-related question. If a font family has multiple "faces", do I need to load each one? I assume font files are fairly small, but I don't want to have multiple unnecessary files on my Kobo. For example, the Rockwell font shown in a teleread article today (about loading fonts) looked quite readable, but it seemed to have about a dozen variations. Does each one need to be loaded, and if so would it add a long list of fonts in the font selector file, or only one name for the font "family"?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Steve
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 11:10 PM   #95
sherman
Guru
sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
I have a general fonts-related question. If a font family has multiple "faces", do I need to load each one? I assume font files are fairly small, but I don't want to have multiple unnecessary files on my Kobo. For example, the Rockwell font shown in a teleread article today (about loading fonts) looked quite readable, but it seemed to have about a dozen variations. Does each one need to be loaded, and if so would it add a long list of fonts in the font selector file, or only one name for the font "family"?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Steve
Basically for each font, you need (when available) the font files for regular, bold, italic, bold italic. There may also be several variations of the same font, such as a small-caps, condensed, heavy etc. For body text, you would normally want the normal variant of the font, which is usually just the name of the font.

So basically, four files per font is what I'm trying to say.
sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 09:59 AM   #96
Atmos4
Atmos4 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
The only thing that worked for me was Kyl's tip.

I named the files as Bookerly.ttf (Regular), Bookerlyb.ttf (Bold), Bookerlyi.ttf (Italic) and Bookerlyz.ttf (BoldItalic). The same trick worked with Amazon Ember which was showing the Bold style for Regular until I used the same naming scheme.

Note that you need to reboot the Kobo after renaming if you were using the font previously or at least switch to a previously unused font size, because the Kobo caches the generated pages.
Atmos4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:39 PM   #97
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos4 View Post
Note that you need to reboot the Kobo after renaming if you were using the font previously or at least switch to a previously unused font size, because the Kobo caches the generated pages.
I really doubt that the Kobo firmware is caching any generated pages of books. More likely, it is caching the last font use and changing the font file doesn't trigger the cache being reloaded.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 12:13 PM   #98
coalescent
coalescent began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
First time poster here--I've been lurking for some time and recently made the jump from the kindle ecosystem to kobo.

I want to thank flowoeB for the detailed and accurate instructions. This is the only method that successfully corrected italics showing as bold italics using Bookerly and kePubs books. It was driving me a bit mad. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowoeB View Post
after checking the font files and finding them to have ok meta data (posting the same thing over and over again does not help anybody serge... ) i found this working for me and my H2O:

.extracted bookerly and ember from the oasis update file (explained in a earlyer post in this thread)
.renamed the files as follows:

Bookerly-Regular -> Bookerly-a.ttf
Bookerly-Italic -> Bookerly-b.ttf
Bookerly-Bold -> Bookerly-c.ttf
Bookerly-BoldItalic -> Bookerly-d.ttf

Amazon-Ember-Regular -> Amazon-Ember-a.ttf
Amazon-Ember-Italic-> Amazon-Ember-b.ttf
Amazon-Ember-Bold -> Bookerly-c.ttf
Amazon-Ember-BoldItalic -> Amazon-Ember-d.ttf

.put the files into my font folder on the H2O
.disconnected and turned the H2O off completely (long holding the power button)
.restarting and now everything works as it should work...

sorry for my bad english - hope this helps...

PS:
works on my Glo HD too - files used for testing are .kepub.epub and .epub generated with calibre
coalescent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 02:00 PM   #99
deleted2
Member Retired
deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by coalescent View Post
First time poster here--I've been lurking for some time and recently made the jump from the kindle ecosystem to kobo.

I want to thank flowoeB for the detailed and accurate instructions. This is the only method that successfully corrected italics showing as bold italics using Bookerly and kePubs books. It was driving me a bit mad. Thank you!
Well, thanks for pointing that old post. I had problems with the Amazon-Ember font on my Clara HD. It appeared bold only. Now, with renaming it, it looks fine.
deleted2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 02:21 PM   #100
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by coalescent View Post

Welcome to MobileRead

I must say I'm amazed to hear that something as simple as file-renaming to use suffixes -a, -b, -c, -d works. However, I'm not going to argue with you if you've tested it and it's working.

For the record, my posts #2 and #9 in this thread are what has always worked for me. So, if you ever find any font where simple renaming doesn't work, to correct bold/italic, then try this.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 06:47 PM   #101
coalescent
coalescent began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Forma
Thank you for the welcome!

I was dubious as well. I went to the effort to install FontForge first, but the instructions I originally found here mostly discussed ensuring the filename matched the internal font name. In the case of the files I had, they already matched exactly--yet I still had the problem with italics showing as bold italics.

It was annoying me enough that I went ahead and tried the file renaming suggestion from flowoeB. After a restart of the kobo, it worked! So I thought I would both thank flowoeB and share my success here.
coalescent is offline   Reply With Quote