Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-17-2018, 07:36 PM   #1
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
"Mark as unread" popup

The last few firmwares have had this "Mark as unread" message popup periodically about books that are at 1%. I find it really annoying, especially since Kobo usually sets the page at the beginning of the text on transfer to the reader and not at page 1, which is usually the cover, so it of course reads all books as being at 1%.

Is there anyway to stop that popup from ever appearing again? Maybe a patch I missed, or some line in the eReader.conf file?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Unread Popup.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	168439  
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 08:04 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
The last few firmwares have had this "Mark as unread" message popup periodically about books that are at 1%. I find it really annoying, especially since Kobo usually sets the page at the beginning of the text on transfer to the reader and not at page 1, which is usually the cover, so it of course reads all books as being at 1%.
That is not correct. Any book that shows as being read is because you opened it. Or maybe set the status by some other means. New books transferred to the device will always be marked as "Unread".

As to where the book opens, that depends on the format. For an epub, the book is opened to the first entry in the ToC. That could be the cover/first page, but it is very common for it to be the first chapter. Or a title page, contents or something else in the front matter. For a kepub, it is always the first page.
Quote:
Is there anyway to stop that popup from ever appearing again? Maybe a patch I missed, or some line in
the eReader.conf file?
From memory, that dialog pops up about once a month. It, and the "nearly finished" popup, add the following lines to the config file. The value is a timestamp in some format. If you can decode that, you can change it. I'd start by changing the "1" after the "x" to a "2". That could be the year/century, but, it might just be the datatype.
Code:
MarkAsFinishedLastShown=@Variant(\0\0\0\x10\0%\x83^\0n\xab\xc4\xff)
MarkAsUnreadLastShown=@Variant(\0\0\0\x10\0%\x83^\0n\xab\xd1\xff)
I know this has been discussed before. Maybe a search would show more details.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 01:03 PM   #3
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Thanks for that info. I'll play around with those lines and see what happens. Although I'm certain that many of the books that pop up each month have never been opened by me, not ever. Two of the books on the current popup for sure I've never opened. It seems to have a limit of showing only 5 books when it does popup, at least from what I've seen so far. I've searched the forums before posting and spent too much time afterwards searching again trying various strings and couldn't find anything about it.

For now I went into Manage Books and marked them all as unread. Which now oddly shows only 22 unread books on the homescreen out of 1712 that should show as unread. But I'm happy just to get rid of that message any which way I can for now.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote