Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-21-2014, 05:43 PM   #31
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
rgeorg - I might have missed it but have you considered the Galaxy tab pro lineup, basically the same performance as the S tablets with some minor differences (IPS display, 2gb of ram, Qualcomm SOC), since the S came out the pro has received a few discounts but if you like Amoled when you see if go for that, specially if you read books using a black background with white text. Also take a really hard look at the 8.4 models I find them to be the perfect size for a tablet, see if its something that might work for you if not by all means go for the 10 inch one

If you have any questions about the 8.4 Galaxy tab pro i'd be happy to answer or I'd have to get home and see if it has a night reading mode like the note.

HarryT - bobstro - You probably know this already and have not done so because of different reasons (security, warranty, you plain old don't want/like to do it) but I just wanted to point out with root and an app in the play store you can get back the capability to write to an SD card on 4.4
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:50 PM   #32
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The reason I haven't done so is that my KitKat device (Nexus 7) doesn't have an SD card slot. I do have an Android tablet with a card slot (Onyx T68) but that's running Android 4.0 where the problem doesn't arise.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2014, 03:34 AM   #33
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catire View Post
Also take a really hard look at the 8.4 models I find them to be the perfect size for a tablet, see if its something that might work for you if not by all means go for the 10 inch one

If you have any questions about the 8.4 Galaxy tab pro i'd be happy to answer or I'd have to get home and see if it has a night reading mode like the note.
Thank you for the suggestions. I'm probably leaning more towards the S series, although I did consider the Pro 12.2" model. Just too large to hold comfortably. I am now dithering between the 8.4 and the 10.5" models. I'll go to the store tomorrow and try to get a better feel for the difference. I have small hands, so the smaller size would be more comfortable. Reading books would be fine, and I do most of that on e-ink readers in any case. Magazines (in pdf format) are questionable, although on the 7" Nexus it is just about acceptable, so I thought the 8.4" might be OK. Movie viewing (my most frequent use is a question.
How do you find the 8.4 for movie viewing?
I suspect it is acceptable, although the 7" (KFHD) that I own seems a bit small.

Here's the kicker though, I can't find the 32GB 8.4" online (Amazon or BestBuy) to order. I think the 32GB version would be best to ensure I don't have the 4.4 app writing issues. BB has a 32GB 10.5" that would certainly be great for magazines/movie viewing. I do not plan to carry it around - only for weekend car trips to country house, so portability is not an issue.

Cost differential:
"S" 8.4" 16GB --- $400 (Amazon)
"S" 10.5" 32GB + tax = $549 + $40 = $580 (Best Buy delivered)
= $500 (Amazon with 16 GB)

I will only be in the USA for a few weeks, so I need to make a decision & order before I go. Best Buy would also be good in case there is a problem with the unit, the store is close to my home.
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 06:43 AM   #34
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Another thought....
I just viewed a review that states the Samsung Android Interface uses up to 8GB of memory and is so intensive that it causes stutters in the operation. I suppose this would hold true for all the Samsung lines ("Pro" and "S" specifically).

Another option would be to buy the "tried and true" 2012 Nexus 10, which is only $329 with 32GB (Amazon). Same screen resolution, not AMOLED. Made by Samsung, but without the bloatware widgets and whatever. I'd like the newer technology, but I'd be very annoyed to pay close to $600 and have a stuttery (word?) tablet.

I know that there are pros and cons with all choices - but does anyone have experience with KitKat and the Samsung Interface? Is it really sluggish or is the review video biased?
I'm probably driving everyone crazy with my indecisiveness - myself most of all!
Old 07-22-2014, 10:55 AM   #35
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

• 4.4 touchwiz isnt as bad as previous iterations of the software, the lag most reviewers mention is mostly present in every android "skin", except maybe in SENSE 6.0.
  • My 8.4 tab pro is great for watching movies, I use it all the time for that.
  • I've had a 10.1, 7 and 8.4 inch tablets. Rarely used the 10 inch because of its size, I liked the 7 inch nexus but the extra screen real estate the 8 inch screens I found to be the sweet spot in my opinion, but something like this is always a personal choice, and a larger device would be best for magazines.
  • The 32gb version of the 8.4 is a mythical beast :P
  • I'd honestly not get the Nexus 10, you would get better performance of a newer tablet, it will probably not get any more software updates and I've read that the latest updates brought a few performance bugs.
Advert
Old 07-22-2014, 11:34 AM   #36
kristalana
Groupie
kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kristalana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Galaxy Tab Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post
Another thought....
I just viewed a review that states the Samsung Android Interface uses up to 8GB of memory and is so intensive that it causes stutters in the operation. I suppose this would hold true for all the Samsung lines ("Pro" and "S" specifically).

Another option would be to buy the "tried and true" 2012 Nexus 10, which is only $329 with 32GB (Amazon). Same screen resolution, not AMOLED. Made by Samsung, but without the bloatware widgets and whatever. I'd like the newer technology, but I'd be very annoyed to pay close to $600 and have a stuttery (word?) tablet.

I know that there are pros and cons with all choices - but does anyone have experience with KitKat and the Samsung Interface? Is it really sluggish or is the review video biased?
I'm probably driving everyone crazy with my indecisiveness - myself most of all!
I have the 10" Tab Pro and I use a 3rd-party launcher (Nova) so I don't have any issues with sluggishness. I know people complain a lot about Touchwiz but with a launcher you don't really have to see it. It's possible though that I'm just used to some amount of lag, but I doubt it. I did read an enormous number of reviews while deciding which tablet to get and I settled on this one, and I've been loving it thus far. The only complaint I would make is the tablet gets warm while playing certain games or during extensive internet browsing, but as I keep it in a case it doesn't really bother me. You should give it a shot though, and if you get it from Amazon you can return it if you don't like it.
kristalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:07 PM   #37
Catire
Lord of the Universe

Also if you get a Galaxy tab S or any recent Samsung tablet make sure you redeem the galaxy perks by creating a Samsung account on the tablet, you should get a few freebies like $25 Google Play credit, 1 year of Gogo In-flight Wi-Fi® (up to 36 flights), 50GB Dropbox space for 2 years, a free audiobook, Hancom Office suite and some other things
Old 07-22-2014, 12:22 PM   #38
FinancialWar
Banned
FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.FinancialWar understands the Henderson-Hasselbalch Equation.

Device: Sony PRS350, Onyx M92, Onyx T68 (defective!)
Quote:
Also if you get a Galaxy tab S or any recent Samsung tablet make sure you redeem the galaxy perks by creating a Samsung account on the tablet, you should get a few freebies like $25 Google Play credit, 1 year of Gogo In-flight Wi-Fi® (up to 36 flights), 50GB Dropbox space for 2 years, a free audiobook, Hancom Office suite and some other things
I still would not register an Samsung account lol. Samsung makes good hardware, but in terms of an marketplace, no thank you.
FinancialWar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 12:30 PM   #39
Catire
Lord of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinancialWar View Post
I still would not register an Samsung account lol. Samsung makes good hardware, but in terms of an marketplace, no thank you.
Are you sure you wouldn't register an account? they send you a $25 google play gift card not a galaxy gift card, the only thing redeemable in their markeplace is the Hancom Office suite thingy and while I have not used it I have read that its pretty good.
Old 07-22-2014, 01:20 PM   #40
rgeorg
Guru

In any case, the extra "gifts" are listed on Amazon for the SGT Pro, not the "S" line. I'll go tomorrow and see if I can compare the two sizes (8.4 vs 10.5") and the two models (Pro vs S). Perhaps going with the less expensive smaller model (8.4) would help me justify the cost :-) Although, the S is probably worth the extra $70 to me for the AMOLED screen and longer battery life. And I have hopes that the "reading mode" will be useful.

Sound advice about the Nexus 10, I hadn't come across that tidbit.
Old 07-22-2014, 04:07 PM   #41
bobstro
Zealot
bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bobstro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 2014,Hisense Sero Pro 7,Kobo Aura, Kobo Mini
You don't have to use the Samsung app store even if you register for a Samsung account. I was glad I'd registered with Samsung when my Note 10.1 took a spill and needed repairs (2 weeks). The perks are provided without having to install anything from Samsung directly. The only Samsung-specific apps I used were earlier versions ofAutodesk SketchBook optimized for the Note, but the mainstream version from GoPS incorporates those features now.

I have gone back to TouchWiz and don't notice any persistent sluggishness on the Note 10.1 2014 device. I see no sluggishness once in an app. I think some of that reputation goes back to older, slower and single-core devices.

Hmm... that year of Gogo air almost pays for the device. I need to see what models that comes with.
bobstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:17 PM   #42
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
  • 4.4 touchwiz isnt as bad as previous iterations of the software, the lag most reviewers mention is mostly present in every android "skin", except maybe in SENSE 6.0.
Maybe not, but when a $129 phone (Moto E) performs better than a top of the line $600+ phone, something's not quite right.

I personally will stay clear of Touchwiz.

afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 01:52 AM   #43
rgeorg
Guru

Quote:
  • My 8.4 tab pro is great for watching movies, I use it all the time for that.

Well, now I read about a battery-overheating problem with the "S" devices! This is a deal-breaker big issue for me as I only have a couple of weeks in the USA, and I don't want to send it back overseas for replacement, etc.

So, reconsidering the Tab Pro line...too bad the price increased from the $250 sale. Since you have the tablet, could you please answer a few questions?

I am concerned about screen glare making reading difficult. Have you read magazines or books with your tablet? Is there a "reading mode" or perhaps Screen Dim would help reduce glare? Reading outside (sunlight) is not an issue for me, although I would like to be able to use the tablet in typical room daylight. Similar to the Nexus 7 would be fine.

Also, a Youtube video comparison had the Pro model battery lasting 10-12 hours, while the Amazon description states up to 6 hours. What do you find? How long does it take to charge from the wall and can I use it while it is charging?

I think these are my main concerns.

Really appreciate the help!

Last edited by rgeorg; 07-23-2014 at 01:58 AM. Reason: Found answer online
Old 07-23-2014, 10:37 AM   #44
Catire
Lord of the Universe

Quote:
Well, now I read about a battery-overheating problem with the "S" devices! This is a deal-breaker big issue for me as I only have a couple of weeks in the USA, and I don't want to send it back overseas for replacement, etc.

So, reconsidering the Tab Pro line...too bad the price increased from the $250 sale. Since you have the tablet, could you please answer a few questions?
As someone who orders tech online and has it shipped outside the US I feel your pain, but if you have your heart set on the Tab S I'd talk with the sales rep at best buy about their return policy on that particular defect, buy the tablet if they would replace it for you and then install the most intensive apps you can and run them constantly for a few days :P

Quote:
I am concerned about screen glare making reading difficult. Have you read magazines or books with your tablet? Is there a "reading mode" or perhaps Screen Dim would help reduce glare? Reading outside (sunlight) is not an issue for me, although I would like to be able to use the tablet in typical room daylight. Similar to the Nexus 7 would be fine.
I haven't had any issues with glare, I've only had the tablet for a week and have not used it in daylight, usually use it in the bedroom at night. I'll check after I get off work if it has anything like a reading mode (its 9 am here so it'll be a while before I can check). I'd say the screen brightness is on par with the nexus 7 if not better, the sharpness is certainly much much better thanks to the resolution.

Quote:
Also, a Youtube video comparison had the Pro model battery lasting 10-12 hours, while the Amazon description states up to 6 hours. What do you find? How long does it take to charge from the wall and can I use it while it is charging?

Really appreciate the help!
I honestly do not know how long it lasts, haven't timed it but I did watch the whole season of Fargo last weekend without charging and that's like 8-10 hours.

My usage last night: I picked up the tablet, it had about 5-7% when I started watching a 30-40 minute episode of a tv series in 720p, it let me finish the episode, took a shower then went to bed and started charging it and watching another episode at the same time, by the time I finished the other episode It had gained enough charge to let me watch 2-3 more unplugged.
Old 07-23-2014, 03:41 PM   #45
rgeorg
Guru

That sounds pretty good, certainly better than the 6 hrs battery life listed at Amazon. Also, I found out that there is a Samsung service in Athens, much more convenient than the USA! I'll just have to ask if the Limited Warranty extends to Europe. It may, I did find a doc on the Samsung site which would suggest this. I'll call Samsung and ask.

I think the Pro version is similar enough as not to make a difference (less RAM but faster processor, regular screen vs AMOLED but less cost + $25 Google Play and 3 audiobooks + is a more mature product therefore less risk). I was thinking that th AMOLED screen not being backlit would be easier on the eyes, but I am not convinced that I want total blacks and such vivid colors - would they look realistic? The Nexus 7 (backlit) that I just bought for my daughter looks perfect to me and I read webpages and such just fine on it!

Thanks again for all your help! Enjoy your new tablet!