Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats > LRF

Notices

Old 09-26-2007, 03:11 PM   #226
toomanybarts
toomanybarts began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
adinb is The Man! He is definately THE Regex expert on here.
toomanybarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:20 PM   #227
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini,Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkellmer View Post
I just bought a Sony Reader last week. It is great.

Here is my problem: I have about 3,000 webpages that are on my local computer. Each one is a conversion of a single book. I have tried to convert them to PDF by opening them in Internet Explorer, and using the local address as the URL in Web2book. Web2book gives me the following message:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
System.UriFormatException: Invalid URI: A port was expected because of there is a colon (':') present but the port could not be parsed.
at System.Uri.CreateThis(String uri, Boolean dontEscape, UriKind uriKind)
at System.Uri..ctor(String uriString)
at web2book.Utils.GetUrlResponse(String url, String& error, String postData, ICredentials creds, String contentType)
at web2book.Utils.GetWebResponse(String url, String& error, String postData, ICredentials creds, String contentType)
at web2book.Utils.GetContent(String link, String html, String linkProcessor, String contentExtractor, String contentFormatter, Int32 depth, StringBuilder log)
at web2book.Utils.GetHtml(String url, Int32 numberOfDays, String linkProcessor, String contentExtractor, String contentFormatter, Int32 depth, StringBuilder log)
at web2book.WebPage.GetHtml(ISource mySourceGroup, Int32 displayWidth, Int32 displayHeight, Int32 displayDepth, StringBuilder log)
at web2book.MainForm.AddSource(ContentSourceList sourceClass, ContentSource source, Boolean isAutoUpdate)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I can get around this by posting each webpage on my Geocities site, but that is a lot of extra work. Any idea how I can convert the local html file without doing all that?

Thanks!!
Can you give an example of the type of URL you are using?
geekraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:25 PM   #228
geekraver
Addict
geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekraver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

As I'm sure folks have noticed, I haven't been very active on these forums. This is a reflection of the fact that I barely use my reader anymore (I want higher resolution and color; I'm mostly interested in comics and tech books and the reader is not great for either, notwithstanding some of the excellent software some people have produced). I thought I'd use the reader for RSS but it's hard to beat the wonderful pRSSReader on my Pocket PC with a data plan.

My plan at this point is to open-source web2book; I need a bit of time to get that done but I hope that that will allow others to build on the foundation. I'll post an update once the source is available (most likely on Codeplex).
Old 09-30-2007, 01:16 AM   #229
rkellmer
rkellmer began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500 / iPhone 3GS / iPad 32GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekraver View Post
Can you give an example of the type of URL you are using?
Yes, here is one of the URL's:

C:\books\Angels\Angels\1.html

Thanks!!
rkellmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:10 PM   #230
geekraver
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkellmer View Post
Yes, here is one of the URL's:

C:\books\Angels\Angels\1.html

Thanks!!

Try file://c:/books/Angels/Angels/1.html
Old 10-10-2007, 11:18 PM   #231
MissLissa
Enthusiast
MissLissa has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony PRS 500/Palm Tungsten E2
Unhappy RSS2Book sounds cool - but I sure don't understand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilm2 View Post
Geekraver's rss2book app is really great! I can't recommend it enough. It took me about 15 minutes to get my PC set up to use it.

First I downloaded and installed .NET framework 2.0 here...

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/net.../aa731542.aspx

I so want to try this - but I don't know anything about .NET! When I click the link I see all sorts of things I could download. How do I know which one of the Framework files to download?

I am running Windows XP Home Edition on a Gateway laptop. Can you tell me which .NET Framework I should install?

Thanks for helping out a newbie
MissLissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 01:40 AM   #232
geekraver
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLissa View Post
I so want to try this - but I don't know anything about .NET! When I click the link I see all sorts of things I could download. How do I know which one of the Framework files to download?

I am running Windows XP Home Edition on a Gateway laptop. Can you tell me which .NET Framework I should install?

Thanks for helping out a newbie
The easiest way to add .Net 2.0 if you are a n00b is to do it through Windows Update; it should show up as an optional update.
Old 03-03-2008, 01:42 AM   #233
geekraver
Addict

Once again sorry for the delay; the project is finally up: http://www.codeplex.com/web2book
Old 03-03-2008, 03:07 AM   #234
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
The page is good but there's only source code to download. Can you add a link to where I can download the executable version? presumably http://www.download.com/3000-20-10649163.html ? I'm about to have a play now

Hmm, www.publicaddress.net doesn't work as rss or web site, System.UriFormatException as web page, just headlines as rss. http://blog.greens.org.nz/index.php/feed/ just doesn't work - no output at all. mozbike.blogspot.com causes it to hang, http://mozbike.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default just produces no output. The log window gets a bit annoying after a while - do you absolutely have to show it every time? I think you might need to write a wizard to set up feeds, or make the inputs more tolerant. But at least Process Explorer can kill it when it hangs, that bit works.

Cool, http://smh.com.au/text works. Is there any way to tell it "ignore links that don't start with http://smh.com.au/text"? Also, converting this to rtf takes avery long time (I think, after a minute or two I killed it). It looks as though you just cat the HTML of all the links together - perhaps it would be better if you at least removed all the extra HTML and BODY tags? I suspect that stripping the non-text context would help that, as the html page currently produced has all sorts of images and formatting as well as embedded scripts and styles. Using OpenOffice Writer to import the HTML is slow to the point where I killed that too. Using a text editor to remove the start and end blocks of "stuff" plus all the img and href tags makes it possible to load the HTML. Now I need to use MS-Office to convert HTML to RTF because I don't (yet) have a better solution.

Clicking Help-Report Bug takes me to a page that doesn't work.

I will download the source and have a play sometime, I hope.

Last edited by moz; 03-03-2008 at 05:08 AM. Reason: more discoveries.
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:35 AM   #235
geekraver
Addict

You can get the executable version from http://www.download.com/Web2book/300...html?tag=lst-1

I haven't used the app or my Sony Reader in months - pRSSReader on my Tilt is just much more convenient - - so I'm not actively fixing or enhancing it. Nontheless it represents a fair amount of development effort so that's why I'm putting it on Codeplex - so others can contribute if they want.

I'll look into the bug report issue; publish/subscribe and bug reporting should still work. If I can move bug reporting over to Codeplex that would be better.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:07 PM   #236
Rick C
Seeker
Rick C has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rick C has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rick C has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rick C has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
broke sony reader software

I just tryed downloading and installing web2book from the download.com site-now when I try and run the sony e-reader software the left side is all squashed up and the program is pretty much broken.
I uninstalled web2book,e-reader, re-installed e-reader, all to no avail. I am running winxp sp2 with net framework 3 sp1.
Any suggestions for fixing this?

Edit- Found the 'rough' fix in another post-thanks CurtW !
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16796

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony

To help correct your issue with the eBooks software please follow the
below steps:

Go to Start>Control Panel and open Add/Remove programs. Find and
uninstall/remove "eBook Library by Sony".

Open My Computer.
Go to Tools>Folder Options.
Click View and select “Show hidden files and folders” and click ok

Please delete the following folders as listed below:

For XP
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\kinoma
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Marlin
C:\Documents and Settings\%username%( i.e. you windows log in name)
\Local Settings\Application Data\kinoma
C:\Documents and Settings\your user name\Local Settings\Application
Data\Sony Corporation
C:\Program Files\Sony\eBook Library

For Vista

C:\ProgramData\kinoma
C:\ProgramData\Marlin
C:\Program Files\Sony\eBook Library
C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Local\Sony Corporation
C:\Users\%usernam%\AppData\Local\kinoma

After doing so, reinstall your Connect Reader software from:
http://ebooks.connect.com/downloadclient.html

You might also want to experiment with connecting the reader in
different USB ports.
2nd edit-I backed up the above files to a safe folder (I have lost one device permission for CONNECT), and reinstalled web2book. Not sure what happened,but it all seems okay now.Perhaps all the various editors/installers/hacks over the last two weeks and it was just the straw that broke the camel's back?

Last edited by Rick C; 03-18-2008 at 07:41 PM. Reason: found my fix-further observations
Rick C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 12:43 PM   #237
slex
Addict
slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT, Onyx Boox M92
Multilanguage support

Hi, geekraver!

It's a great program you've made! I know you don't develop it anymore and it's at Codeplex, but I have a question regarding multilanguage support and I will appreciate it you find the time to respond (if there is a quickifix, so it's not a burden for you).

I tried to use the program for cyrillic websites but it didn't work. I also read lot of German websites. And here comes the embarassment.

Special characters for German (umlauts) work just fine in the Title but not below that. Do you have any idea why that might be. In principle the program supports such characters if they appear at one place. But why not on the other?

I attach a screenshot to see what I mean.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	umlautsnotvisible.jpg
Views:	732
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	18576  
slex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:19 PM   #238
Hansgeorg
Hansgeorg began at the beginning.

Device: none
@ slex: I have the same Problem! I read, that the main problem is the old version of htmldoc (I think a converter) which is used by web2book. Htmldoc won't be updated anymore and doesn't support the UTF-8 characters, which is used by many newer websites. web2book supports iso-8859-15, which includes german umlaute, but I don't know, if there is a way to transform UTF-8 in iso.

If anybody has help, very welcome!!
Hansgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 03:03 PM   #239
slex
Addict
slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 NT, Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansgeorg View Post
@ slex: I have the same Problem! I read, that the main problem is the old version of htmldoc (I think a converter) which is used by web2book. Htmldoc won't be updated anymore and doesn't support the UTF-8 characters, which is used by many newer websites. web2book supports iso-8859-15, which includes german umlaute, but I don't know, if there is a way to transform UTF-8 in iso.

If anybody has help, very welcome!!
Actually, they might implement it if you believe this post here:

http://www.htmldoc.org/str.php?L162
slex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:28 AM   #240
Hansgeorg
Hansgeorg began at the beginning.

Device: none
@slex: thanks for that hint, it would be very usefull, if they would implement the UTF-8 charset!!
Hansgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote