Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-18-2012, 10:22 AM   #1
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2
Clone Kindle in my notebook

ALERT: THIS THREAD MAY CONTAIN HIGHLY NOOBISH THINGS

Sometimes I find myself thinking about something new to do in my Kindle but I don't have it with me.
This ends with me writing down my thoughts in a txt to check them later.

So, this time, I decided to ask for your help!

Being a real *nix-noob, is there a way to clone my Kindle and mount it in my notebook so that I can reach it the same way I do using SSH.
This should allow me to surf in the file-system and to send kindle-only shell commands (lipc and similar)
I really don't need to display also the Kindle screen!

Sorry to waste your time!
silver18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:41 AM   #2
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
It would need a lot of work, I think. QEMU-arm should in principle be able to run the code. The kernel would have to be adapted accordingly. And you would likely have to invest some work in the proper configuration of QEMU (alternative drivers/dummies for USB, storage, display and input). The bootloader could probably be skipped in the startup sequence.

In short: not easily. If you want to run the software, you will have to emulate the hardware. Easy for the CPU core, not so easy for the rest.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:51 AM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
It would need a lot of work, I think. QEMU-arm should in principle be able to run the code. The kernel would have to be adapted accordingly. And you would likely have to invest some work in the proper configuration of QEMU (alternative drivers/dummies for USB, storage, display and input). The bootloader could probably be skipped in the startup sequence.

In short: not easily. If you want to run the software, you will have to emulate the hardware. Easy for the CPU core, not so easy for the rest.
As hawhill says: Possible but neither easy nor quick.

With the price of Kindles running about the same as two days work for a system's coder -
much cheaper to just buy one that you can sacrifice to the project you have in mind -
then do whatever on the real hardware.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 03:54 PM   #4
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2
Understood...this is far beyond my knowledge!!
Thanks to all of you guys!
silver18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 04:17 PM   #5
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
With the price of Kindles running about the same as two days work for a system's coder - ...
??? Two hours work? Perhaps a half-hour work for a real "system's coder"... ??
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:21 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
??? Two hours work? Perhaps a half-hour work for a real "system's coder"... ??
When adjusted for inflation, most likely so.

Forty years ago, my peers and I where getting the equivalent of 3 Kindles per day.
I suspect that manpower costs have not gone down.

(Looking at the bill for these "happy pills" I **know** cost have not gone down!)

The point remains: Real hardware is cheaper than emulating it.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote