Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-26-2009, 03:45 PM   #16
Starhawk
Enthusiast
Starhawk began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2; Amazon 1 (returned in ancticipation of 2)
The Feedbooks link worked just now for me from my K2. Must have been a temporary feedbooks.com glitch.
Starhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:47 PM   #17
Starhawk
Enthusiast
Starhawk began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2; Amazon 1 (returned in ancticipation of 2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemo View Post
Good reminder - just adding that you can update both guides & see what the newest additions are. I try to update every couple of weeks. You have to delete the older version when you get the update. (Nice that it's easier on the K1 with the new ability to delete directly from the home screen.)
Hey, so by "update", you mean, get a whole new copy to replace the ones that I've just downloaded, then, right?

So new content shows up in the guides every now and then...that's cool!
Starhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2009, 08:11 PM   #18
NormHart
Semper Carpe Bufo
NormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmosNormHart has become one with the cosmos

Device: Kindle2 & Kindle3
Hummm

Would Whispernet enable me to setup a web page hosted on my computer and access and download my PC library from the my Kindle2 via the basic web?

NormHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:19 PM   #19
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starhawk View Post
Hey, so by "update", you mean, get a whole new copy to replace the ones that I've just downloaded, then, right?

So new content shows up in the guides every now and then...that's cool!
Yes... the guide has a link to update it right in themselves. Just open the guide, go to beginning, click on the "Update Guide" link.

The feedbooks guide right in the front has a "Recent Additions' section you can browse through.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 08:49 PM   #20
Meemo
Groupie
Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Meemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (1st & 2nd gen) & a Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Well, you don't "have" to.

BOb
True
What I meant (for you new users) was that it doesn't literally update the older version, you'll have two versions on your Kindle after you "update" the feedbooks and/or mobileread guides.
Meemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-26-2009, 09:21 PM   #21
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Aside from public domain books and creative commons stuff, a fair ammount of authors self-publish their books for free on Feedbooks. Some of them are very popular: http://www.feedbooks.com/userbooks/downloads

You'll find some of those in the guide too, but I'll improve this part of the guide in the future.

I'm planning to use some of the new Kindle 2 features as soon as I figure them out, such as the new way to browse, or the new TOC system for newspapers (I would use this on our RSS feeds). The good thing about our system is that I can update ALL the books. This way, every book on Feedbooks will get these upgrades.
I've also boosted our metadata, but the information page of the book doesn't show the description on the Kindle 2.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:38 PM   #22
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
You'll find some of those in the guide too, but I'll improve this part of the guide in the future.

Awesome. So, are you going to have a seperate d/l guide for k1 and k2?

BOb
Old 03-01-2009, 11:19 AM   #23
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

Awesome. So, are you going to have a seperate d/l guide for k1 and k2?

BOb
No, the same file will work for both. Amazon could still update the K1 software and map this to different keys too BTW, it's purely software.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:45 AM   #24
drd1135
drd1135 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Despite many attempts, I can't get the Mobileread site to work on my K2. I get a message that says "Basic Web was unable to download this file". Maybe I just have to be more persistent. It works fine on my PC.
drd1135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:47 AM   #25
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by drd1135 View Post
Despite many attempts, I can't get the Mobileread site to work on my K2. I get a message that says "Basic Web was unable to download this file". Maybe I just have to be more persistent. It works fine on my PC.
You shouldn't be using basic web. Also, did you go to the .com or .mobi site? You should use the latter.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:17 AM   #26
drd1135
drd1135 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
I went to the .com site since I was following the Kindle Cookbook directions. I was able to make it work this morning doing nothing different that I could see. Part of the problem might be that in my rural location I can only use the 1X signal and it seems slower on the Kindle 2 than the Kindle 1. I wonder if the K2 spends too much time looking for a 3G network.

I will try the .mobi site. Thanks.
drd1135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 12:45 PM   #27
kkun
kkun began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Works great for me thanks!

edit: Sometimes there's no response. It is an intermittent issue and random. Sometimes I get it 1st try, sometimes it takes a few tries before I get a response.

Last edited by kkun; 03-04-2009 at 05:42 PM.
kkun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:45 PM   #28
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkun View Post
Works great for me thanks!

edit: Sometimes there's no response. It is an intermittent issue and random. Sometimes I get it 1st try, sometimes it takes a few tries before I get a response.
Sounds like your whispernet connection isn't very solid.

BOb