Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > KOReader

Notices

Old 12-16-2023, 06:49 AM   #1
litetaker
litetaker began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara 2e
Question Extreme battery drain on my Kobo Clara 2e on a fresh install

I just purchased my very first ebook reader this week! I bought a Kobo Clara 2e on Monday and yesterday, on Friday, I decided to try out the KOReader to see if any of its features interest me and if I find it better than the built-in reader software for epubs.

I simply followed the One-click install method explained on this forum and installed KOReader v2023.10 (that also included KFMon and NickelMenu) on my Kobo Clara 2e that is running the latest firmware.

I then spent a few hours tweaking the settings for ebooks, adjusting margins, line spacing, fonts and styles, behaviour of links and foot notes and the footer etc. During this time the battery drained from about 95% to about 76%, so around 10-20%. That was a lot more than what I noticed when I read a book for a similar amount of time using the stock software. But, I guess tweaking settings can be more demanding than just reading a book, so I felt that is okay.

However, what was really excessive was the overnight battery drain! In the night, over the course of about 8-9 hours, the battery drained from 76% to 52%! That is nearly a quarter of the battery being completely drained in one night! This seems very excessive and significantly more than stock firmware that only drained about 1% every night before that. This will cause my device to die in a just a couple of days rather than several weeks.

In the time it took me to type this post (40 minutes), the battery drained by another 2%. So the battery drain issue continues.

Is something going wrong with this software? Surely this must be an anomaly and not what is expected as people will not be happy with such a massive drain on the battery. What am I doing wrong? I just installed this from scratch. Is there some settings I can use to improve battery life? Do I need to reboot my device to fix some issue or bug that is causing so much battery drain? Please advice.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by litetaker; 12-16-2023 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Fix mistake in thread title
litetaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 06:52 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Reboot your Kobo and see how it goes. You can reboot by holding down the power button until it reboots.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2023, 06:04 PM   #3
litetaker
litetaker began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara 2e
Yes, I did that and it seems to have fixed the issue. The battery has not drained at all since this morning and stayed at 49% for the last 12 hours or so. It seems to have drained by less than 1% so that is definitely good news!

I'll continue to monitor it for a bit and ensure that everything is working as expected. But so far, so good! Thanks for the help!
litetaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2023, 06:41 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Usual reminder that the battery gauge is a lying liar and you shouldn't trust it overmuch (especially on a brand new device, or one that has been left alone for a while, or one you plug/unplug often, or... a lot of the times, basically ;p).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery drain, kobo clara 2e