Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-16-2021, 07:57 PM   #31
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aardman View Post
After having removed everything, resetting the Kobo, and loading just one book on it, it STILL was losing power while sleeping.

So I removed it from the sleep cover, and the problem stopped.

WTF?

How can a sleep cover cause such problems? I know the Kobo was sleeping when the cover was closed - the light went off and it was obviously sleeping when I'd open it.
Looking back over the thread, I'm surprised that no one suggested removing the cover. The closest was a suggestion to swap covers with your wife.

There could be problem with the cover if the magnet was a little out of place or weaker than it should be. Another common problem is something in the environment is interfering with. If you are putting it down in the same place all the time this could be it. Either could the device go into a wake/sleep cycle. Or simply not sleep. When you close the cover, it sleeps, but it gets interrupted when you put it down.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 12:29 PM   #32
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Out of curiosity, what case(s) are you using?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2021, 09:13 PM   #33
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I'm beginning to think I got a lemon, but will try the restarting before sleeping to see if that makes any difference.
I tend to agree with you here. If you can't upload a few books without using half your battery, something is definitely not right.

I don't have a Clara, but I have its near hardware cousin, a Tolino Shine 3, and I haven't been impressed with its battery life either. Not nearly as bad as yours, but it doesn't match the other Tolinos (pre-Kobo Vision and Shine).
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 12:24 AM   #34
Aardman
Aardman began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Out of curiosity, what case(s) are you using?
The Kwmobile cover as seen here:

https://www.amazon.com/kwmobile-Case...033756&sr=8-28

Looking over the reviews it appears I'm not the only person that has seen draining issues with this sleep cover. Kind of a shame as it's actually really nice, outside of causing the reader to go dead in a matter of days.
Aardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 12:28 AM   #35
Aardman
Aardman began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Ever since removing the book from it's cover the issue has disappeared. I reloaded everything then deliberately kept it sleeping for a few days, only waking it to check the battery, and it's still at 99%, so it was the cover all along.

Which is annoying 'cause if I'd just checked that first I would've saved myself a lot of hassle.

Thanks everybody for the suggestions anyway, I appreciated all the offers of help!
Aardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2021, 01:10 AM   #36
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Ever since removing the book from it's cover the issue has disappeared. I reloaded everything then deliberately kept it sleeping for a few days, only waking it to check the battery, and it's still at 99%, so it was the cover all along.
I'd suggest swapping the cover with your wife to check. That will help make sure if is the cover or the device. I would also check that the cover lines up properly. I've had some covers that worked perfectly when new, but, as they got older the "hinge" stretched and the front didn't always align properly and the device didn't sleep.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2021, 06:23 AM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I bought a similar type of cover (without the stand) for my H2O and the magnets did not line up properly. It went back ASAP.

And I do agree that you should try your wife's cover. If you find it's still draining, just turn off the sleep cover function in the settings. In settings, it's in Energy saving and privacy under Sleepcover.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 02:09 AM   #38
dem1980fr
Enthusiast
dem1980fr began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra
On the Clara of my daughter, i have a same issue but i remove the option to enter in sleep mode when the cover is closed. Her older cover had problems with magnet position.
Now, its battery is at 100% and i put the Clara on the desk and the next morning it was power off with 0%.
I have to plug it to the computer to turn it on (so i can see the battery is at 0%).
She read only epub or kepub and using Calibre.
I have a Libra and i have np problems, i could use it more than a month without charging, in the same configuration.
dem1980fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 12:22 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem1980fr View Post
I have a Libra and i have np problems, i could use it more than a month without charging, in the same configuration.
Do you plug in your Libra 2 often tot h computer? I don't find my Libra 2 lasts a month when it's not being plugged in to the computer.
Old 05-13-2022, 12:36 PM   #40
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
The Kwmobile cover as seen here:

https://www.amazon.com/kwmobile-Case...033756&sr=8-28

Looking over the reviews it appears I'm not the only person that has seen draining issues with this sleep cover. Kind of a shame as it's actually really nice, outside of causing the reader to go dead in a matter of days.
Oh, yeah. I can verify that, 100%. I bought one of those and it drained the battery. I suspect the magnet that holds the kickstand closed.

If you really want to use the cover, turn off the sleepcover in the "Energy savings and privacy" settings. Then put the reader to sleep using the button.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 12:47 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
Oh, yeah. I can verify that, 100%. I bought one of those and it drained the battery. I suspect the magnet that holds the kickstand closed.

If you really want to use the cover, turn off the sleepcover in the "Energy savings and privacy" settings. Then put the reader to sleep using the button.
I have a kwmobile case on my H2O and it works no problem. It has never once drained the battery. Granted, it does not have a stand. Its the book style case.
Old 05-13-2022, 12:56 PM   #42
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have a kwmobile case on my H2O and it works no problem. It has never once drained the battery. Granted, it does not have a stand. Its the book style case.
I bought exactly the same item as the OP. The kickstand is held against the back of the case with a magnet. Just poor placement. Fortunately, no longer for sale at Amazon.

I'm not saying that everything from that manufacturer is bad.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 01:05 PM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
I bought exactly the same item as the OP. The kickstand is held against the back of the case with a magnet. Just poor placement. Fortunately, no longer for sale at Amazon.

I'm not saying that everything from that manufacturer is bad.
I was just clarifying in case anyone did take away that kwmobile cases are a problem.
Old 05-13-2022, 04:15 PM   #44
dem1980fr
Enthusiast
dem1980fr began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Do you plug in your Libra 2 often tot h computer? I don't find my Libra 2 lasts a month when it's not being plugged in to the computer.
I read 15-20min per day, with 4% of luminosity on the Libra, no wifi. I plug the Libra once by month (or less) to the computer (or cell phone power adapter).

The cover of my Libra works very well for sleep mode :
https://www.amazon.com/kwmobile-Orig...%2C357&sr=8-10

This one is my daughter case (Clara), but it didn’t worked. It is hard to enter in sleep mode when we close it :
https://www.amazon.com/kwmobile-Case...s%2C241&sr=8-5

EDIT : i have removed the Clara from its case and the battery is now ok.
It seems that turn off the function to power off the Kobo when the lid is closed will not solved this problem.
The magnet alter the battery even with this function off.

Last edited by dem1980fr; 05-20-2022 at 03:53 AM.
dem1980fr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 02:18 AM   #45
KoboSteve
KoboSteve began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Hi all. I'm late to this thread but stumbled across it when I started Googling my issues.

My Kobo Clara HD loses about 30% battery per day when in Sleep mode. However, it holds battery well when Off or when simply left Awake, open on a page....

I believe I've tried all the advice in this thread (including Factory and Manual resets, removing the sleep cover, turning off Wifi and Auto Sync, etc.).

So essentially the battery is great EXCEPT when I put it to sleep.

Thoughts?
KoboSteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery drain, kobo clara hd