Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-02-2020, 01:39 PM   #16
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spersephone View Post
I’ve updated to the new firmware, and somehow it seems to have made a big difference! So much happier now.
Glad to hear. What you described in the post above this one did sound like too extreme of battery drain. Amazon has had buggy firmware for about 2 years in odd ways for these devices.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 04:08 PM   #17
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
If the battery is wearing out, 98% might be the maximum charge it can have.
Generally, a worn-out battery is shown by the *lower* part of the range being eaten away: e.g. my old Oasis 1 now jumps directly from discharged to 35% in 30s, then ticks up as usual after that.

100% is actually more like 80% in any case -- it sits at 100% for a while and is actually still filling up. (And, of course, even a fully-charged li-ion battery is not *fully* charged because venting with flame can ruin your whole day and burn your house down.)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2020, 01:04 PM   #18
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
venting with flame can ruin your whole day and burn your house down.)
Indeed

Imagine that with flammable material nearby or more cells that then also explode and/or vent with flame
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 01:23 AM   #19
Derek87
Connoisseur
Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle PW3
jumping on this thread late...

i have an Oasis 1 and recently (last month+), i noticed it starting to discharge the battery rapidly even when idle. i've restarted the device a couple of times and the problem still persists.

does anyone have any suggestions. is it possible to try and reinstall 5.13.3?

i guess if all else fails, i can reset the thing entirely, but i'm not exactly looking forward to re-downloading 100s of books and setting it up the way i had it previously.
Derek87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 06:56 PM   #20
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
It's not that is rapidly draining. It just goes up to 98% and not higher. That missing 2% is making my OCD kick in. i wonder if he new update will fix it. we shall see
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2020, 04:47 PM   #21
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
It's not that is rapidly draining. It just goes up to 98% and not higher. That missing 2% is making my OCD kick in. i wonder if he new update will fix it. we shall see
That used to bother me, too, but eventually I learned to live with anything over 95%.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2020, 02:23 PM   #22
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think battery is slowly dying. Now it will not charge over 96% now. It seems to decline a percent or two a week
Old 12-15-2020, 02:24 PM   #23
HLS
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek87 View Post
jumping on this thread late...

i have an Oasis 1 and recently (last month+), i noticed it starting to discharge the battery rapidly even when idle. i've restarted the device a couple of times and the problem still persists.

does anyone have any suggestions. is it possible to try and reinstall 5.13.3?

i guess if all else fails, i can reset the thing entirely, but i'm not exactly looking forward to re-downloading 100s of books and setting it up the way i had it previously.
I wish I did not sell my oasis 1.
Old 12-17-2020, 07:40 PM   #24
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
I think battery is slowly dying. Now it will not charge over 96% now. It seems to decline a percent or two a week
A dying battery will lose the *bottom* end of the range, not the top end (charging will leap from, say, 0% up to 30% or even more instantly). All you're seeing is a bit of drift in the calibration of the charging circuit, which is harmless. (When I see this, it's usually caused by changes in room temperature.)
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 02:13 PM   #25
Derek87
Connoisseur
Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle PW3
i ended up doing a full factory reset. i think that improved things a bit, but the battery is certainly draining faster than it did prior to the recent firmware update (not sure if it was the last one or maybe the previous one)...i've certainly experienced less battery life in the past few months. putting it into airplane mode seems to help but i never had to do that previously. i am finding that doing nothing over 24 hours (ie, in sleep mode) can result in a several percent drop in battery...that wasn't the case before.
Derek87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 05:05 PM   #26
bronek
bronek began at the beginning.

Device: Boox ; Kindle ; reM2
My Kindle Oasis (bought in Jan 2020) also suffers from extreme battery drain. From fully charged in the morning to ~20% in the evening, without any use - i.e. in sleep mode. I've restarted it many times, done full reset. After reset only loaded single book (nothing fancy) and a dictionary, but this has not helped The firmware is 5.13.4 .
bronek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 12:51 PM   #27
Tuneraider
Connoisseur
Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tuneraider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle, Tolino, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronek View Post
My Kindle Oasis (bought in Jan 2020) also suffers from extreme battery drain. ... The firmware is 5.13.4 .
Firmware 5.13.5 is available if you think it might help.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...MQC26VQQMM8XSW
Tuneraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 02:58 PM   #28
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
@bronek, do you by chance have anything stuck in indexing? From main menu, search for a gibberish, e.g. "asdfasdas", an then select "Book still indexing (n)" (or something like this in the bottom, can't remember. "n" is the number of books being indexed). It will show you books which are "still being indexed". If that's the case, than try to remove the book(s) and restart. If it helps, then a) probably the book(s) is (are) bad for Kindle with some weird formatting or too large PDF scan pages; or b) you could try to re-upload them to Kindle and see if it helps.
mergen3107 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 05:02 AM   #29
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I was thinking I'd pick up an Oasis, 2nd gen. Woot had them new for about 170. Those are gone and they now have refurbs for as little as 99 bucks. This thread has given me pause and I've dropped those plans.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2021, 06:01 AM   #30
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by drofgnal View Post
I was thinking I'd pick up an Oasis, 2nd gen. Woot had them new for about 170. Those are gone and they now have refurbs for as little as 99 bucks. This thread has given me pause and I've dropped those plans.
Not every Oasis has battery issues. The batteries of my Oasis 2 and Oasis 3 have always behaved perfectly.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery drain